BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Not entirely Jimny related....

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Apr 2023 18:42 #248349 by Lambert
Just watching some random videos and one showed a small floor jack like about a 2 tonnes size. What was special was that the wheels had been removed and the entire base was closed in with a thick piece of aluminium tread plate with the treads down to offer grip and load spreading on a loose surface. Obviously the pad moves in an arc and the base can't slide so it will move the vehicle as it rises which is less preferred than a straight lift. But other than that is this something we might consider suicidal to use in much the same category as a high lift jack or is it something that might have a place in the back of the car for a day out on the lanes or play site? 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2023 20:22 #248350 by Soeley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
01 Apr 2023 20:48 - 01 Apr 2023 21:07 #248351 by Scimike
Its just as dangerous as any other lifting or recovery equipment, its how it's used rather than the device itself. Now that as a statement has just opened up a range of activities from perfectly safe to suicidal. So many factors, so many opinions, this is just mine
So it has a place, just use it safely.
I like it as a DIY solution if you want one.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Apr 2023 21:07 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
01 Apr 2023 21:45 #248352 by Lambert
It wasn't that particular one but they share a common ancestor. Safety wise I agree it's entirely down to you as the use to not do anything you will potentially live long enough to regret. Using what is basically a ski on anything like an incline without adequate roll away prevention is just one example of Darwinism in action and the list of other options is endless, I get that. I think I was more wanting to consider the principle in case it was a too good to be true idea given the date today, and essentially it seems sound, I think?

More
01 Apr 2023 22:18 - 01 Apr 2023 22:36 #248353 by Scimike
In principal it looks like a good idea if you favour the trolley jack away from paved or concrete surfaces.
its going to work better than wheels on any surface that's not solid, spreading the load over a larger area. Its possibly even easier to slide underneath, and may even slide with the arc as it lifts. This does depend upon the surface it's deployed and how much grip the vehicle has on terra firma.
I can see the principal for it's existence, so even if it is an April Fool, under certain circumstances it's a good idea.

But then you can sort of achieve the same with some sand boards / and a normal trolly jack. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Apr 2023 22:36 by Scimike. Reason: I am sure this editor just adds random words, or Auto correct is taking over
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
02 Apr 2023 08:42 #248355 by Busta
Using a normal trolley jack on a piece of 18mm plywood would be better in every situation I can think of.

More
03 Apr 2023 11:23 #248368 by monstarghs
whats wrong with the standard screw thread 2ton that comes in the back? if you need more height take some 2x4 short planks and the its a straight lift also so no worries about changing angles? am i missing something? or is this just a ooh shiny thing

More
03 Apr 2023 12:45 #248372 by Roger Fairclough
The standard scissor jack is more than adequate to lift an axle enough to change a wheel and add a plywood based load spreader and you are covered for most, if not all, occasions when away from home. It's also lighter and cheaper than the skid jack mentioned.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Apr 2023 18:50 #248376 by Lambert
I could say the same thing about tyre tread upgrades or suspension lifts. Maybe the answer is simply, because.

More
04 Apr 2023 13:23 #248382 by DrRobin
If you had to jack on soft ground on a regular basis then I can see how this sled would be a good idea and if there is enough slip in the surface the jack would still move.

It's a lot of years since I have had to jack anywhere apart from at home and never on soft ground, so for flexibility a standard jack and a bit of plywood would be just as good and more versatile (it would slip on any surface) even if it does take slightly longer to deploy. You could always attach some handles to the plywood to make it easier to lift up after use.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
04 Apr 2023 13:56 #248383 by Roger Fairclough
standard practice is to attach a short length of a suitable rope to pull the ply. base out of it's hole.
This reminds me of the K.I.S.S principle.

Roger

More
04 Apr 2023 14:35 #248385 by Scimike
Like most things it exists because it's slightly better, or fits individual circumstances better. 
The standard cheap sctew jack you get with the Jimny is fine for changing a wheel, but like many I own a trolley jack as I find it physically easier to use.
So at home the trolley jack gets used for everything, never the supplied screw jack. 
So, hypothetically speaking, if I was in a position that involves a lot of jacking away from home then I could be persuaded keep a trolley jack in the vehicle. Now add soft ground and a dislike of thick planks on which to balance any jack, hey presto, I am in the market for said skid jack. 

Perfect example of why the standard jack is no good for me - - - - hypothetically. 

But then none of this applies, which is why I have only ever used the standard screw jack to change a wheel out and about and why it's just as good. - - - but then I did wish I had my trolley jack on me when I did it 

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds