BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Big gap in steering wheel cover (Gen 3 / JB43), does yours look like this?

More
30 Mar 2023 06:57 #248317 by GandHisJimny
Hi all,

Just back from a big road trip where I was on some rough & bouncy tracks. My partner pointed this out to me - it looks like my steering wheel cover (i.e. the bit containing the air bag) has jiggled loose and no longer sits flush... Or has it? I can't tell if I'm going crazy and it always looked like this.

I unscrewed the cover and tried to readjust it but it seems properly seated in terms of the screws lining up. By which I mean if I pushed it in further in to look flush I wouldn't be able to pass the bolt through the lined up thread.

Anyone else experienced this? Is this how it's meant to look?

Feels wrong and a small part of me is scared of getting an airbag to the face if I go in a pothole. Imgur link: imgur.com/a/0jEm073

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Mar 2023 08:01 #248319 by Lambert
Seems a bit high to me. If you are going to investigate switch everything off for an hour first to let the airbag capacitor drain and be careful with any yellow connector.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Mar 2023 08:57 #248320 by DrRobin
If you disconnected the airbag make sure the ignition is off and key out all the time it is disconnected otherwise you will get an airbag fault and will need an OBD reader which is capable of resetting the airbag system.

Otherwise as Lambert says be careful when connecting/disconnecting the airbag connector.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
30 Mar 2023 10:10 #248321 by GandHisJimny
Thanks for guidance both. I have already taken it off (noting to disconnect power etc) and even after wiggling it back in I can't see how it is meant to sit more flush than it already is.

To be honest, the cover unit is securely screwed in so it's probably all cosmetic. I'll just ignore for now unless someone rides along with a perfect solution.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds