BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Polyurethane engine mounts?

More
20 Mar 2023 16:32 #248118 by JKemo35
My jimny has developed a slight knock only does it every now and then on certain corners around my area and every time I hear i can't then re-enact to make it do it again, now my thinking is it's the engine/gearbox/transfer box mounts as they do all look worn and soft, so in keeping with the rest of the bushes on the car I want to change them to polyurethane. As far as I can find there is no off the shelf product so looks like its time for a bit of home manufacturing. Has anyone got any thoughts on poly engine mounts, anyone else made there own, reasons why I shouldn't, what hardness should be used. Any thoughts, opinions or ideas would be nice, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2023 16:45 #248119 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Polyurethane engine mounts?
I recently had a knock going round certain corners and over bumps.

I got someone to rock my jimny from each side successively as that seemed to replicate it. Did that until I felt where the knock was coming from.

Turned out one of the radius arms had become a little loose. Tightened up all 3 bolts on it and then did the other three arms for good measure. Solved my issue. I would check the suspension components as well as they are most likely to require attention.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

More
20 Mar 2023 16:56 #248120 by Roger Fairclough
Engines vibrate, it's part of there charm and the designers attempt to control it my using mounts that restrict this vibration. It is called Noise, vibration and harshness or NVH for short and if you mess with it you will likely find that the NVH has got worse. It is my suggestion that if your investigations prove that an engine/gearbox mounting is failing, then you should replace with a Genuine Suzuki part. If you use a spurious part, then you run the risk of only partially solving your problem, due to the manufacturer not using a material of the same strength/harmonic balance as the original.

Roger

More
20 Mar 2023 18:33 #248125 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Polyurethane engine mounts?
My recommendation, for engine & transmission mounts, is stick with rubber and preferably OEM rubber. Polyurethane engine & transmission mounts are in my opinion a VERY BAD IDEA, and the reason is, as Roger Fairclough has raised, is NVH.

I've run polyurethane suspension bushes back in my "hot hatch" days, the increase in transmitted road noise was huge, I also had "axle tramp" issues with the same vehicle, and resolved that by injecting polyurethane sealant into the existing engine mounts, these "modified" mounts were not as rigid as a pure polyurethane mount would have been, but the increase in transmitted engine vibration was unbelievable, at idle the entire body shell buzzed and resonated.

Personally, I'm not in favor of poly suspension bushings on any vehicle intended for off road use, they reduce flex & articulation, they squeak, the grease the manufacturers provide becomes contaminated with dirt & grit, causing wear, I know people sell them, but I won't buy them, poly shock bushes are fine, there is minimal rotation there, and that's a place where you don't want flex, poly transfer case mounts, if it's a divorced transfer case (which the Jimny is), I would consider, but engine & transmission mounts, only on an out & out competition vehicle.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Mar 2023 19:30 #248130 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Polyurethane engine mounts?
For the longest time I had a odd clunky noise on my last Jimny, it turns out that the axle end of the front panhard was about 5lbs/ft under the specification. Took nearly 6 months to find the cause.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds