BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Grinding/scraping noise whilst driving

More
20 Mar 2023 09:28 #248108 by Ht03
Hi, my jimny is making an awful grinding/ scraping noise whilst driving, sounds like a shaft is scraping against something. Is there anyway i can post a video here? The sound is coming from somewhere on the front of the vehicle. I’ve changed front drivers cv, and the shaft was fine. Changed the diff oil, no metal shavings to indicate blown diff, the noise started in 2wd also. Lockers seem to engage but I will double check by jacking it up later. 
I’m completely at a loss of what it could be

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Mar 2023 09:47 #248109 by Lambert
Have you checked the propshaft joints for excessive wear, with them connected there should be no vertical or horizontal movement and with them disconnected they should move freely but with a slight resistance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Mar 2023 12:11 #248112 by LesNewell
Put it in 4x4, chock the back wheels and jack up the front axle. With the hubs unlocked both wheels should spin freely with no noise. If you get a noise it's most likely brakes or a wheel bearing. While you are there check the discs for any obvious scrapes or scoring.
Now engage the hubs and spin one wheel. The other should spin the other way. If you now get noise the problem is most likely the diff.
Next take it out of 4x4 and unlock the hubs. Make sure the car is securely supported on axle stands then climb underneath and manually turn the front prop. Listen for noises and look for any marks. As Lambert suggested give each joint a good shake to feel for any play.

More
20 Mar 2023 13:13 #248113 by Roger Fairclough
Check for a pebble or similar jammed between disc and backing plate. I agree with Les about wheel bearings but wear in propshaft u/j's will be felt as vibration, not grinding/scraping noise.

Roger

More
20 Mar 2023 20:31 #248131 by Roger Fairclough
If the movement is in a u/j, then it needs changing but even then it wont eliminate the noise you have. If the movement is in the sliding joint, then up to a point, it is normal.
Jack the front wheels and spin each in turn. If you have a mechanics stethoscope, listen for the source of any noises and report back.

Roger

More
20 Mar 2023 22:22 #248136 by grumyoldjoe
Is the noise there all the time?
I have similar issue but at specific revs ( 1800 and 3200)
Its appears to be coming from the CAT

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it

More
21 Mar 2023 08:17 #248137 by mlines
Noise from around the CAT is often a loose protection plate on the CAT. The rivets rust through

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
21 Mar 2023 08:55 - 21 Mar 2023 08:59 #248138 by grumyoldjoe
My initial thoughts Martin, checked all the shields whilst up on the lift but it seems to be rattling from inside the CAT as if internals are collapsing. Also thought something trapped behind shields but nothing there to be seen
But, not having any issues with power loss or consumptions and never had any warnings from sensors etc

It also went through MOT last week and the emissions are fine.

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it
Last edit: 21 Mar 2023 08:59 by grumyoldjoe.

More
28 Mar 2023 08:54 #248278 by facade
My Gen 3 started making a screeching scraping sound,like a dry gearbox bearing when accelerating (and allowing the rev counter to go past 4000)

It did it for a few weeks and I couldn't find it until one day the crankshaft pulley completely de-laminated and the outer ring fell off. I guess the noise was the outer pulley vibrating.

Worth a look at the crank pulley.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds