BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

AVO Shocks & Stock Height Springs: A good combo?

More
14 Mar 2023 21:40 #248052 by Darthblaker7474
So I'm in the new market for some new suspension components, as my Jimny rides considerably lower than all the others that I've seen, most likely because the springs are so worn (and I'm also not into that #StanceLife). I've got no idea how old the socks are, but I suspect they're well over due to be changed. My passengers are constantly moaning about the ride comfort too.

Anyway, I like the look of the AVO ones , as they are adjustable. However I'm not looking to increase my ride height (yet) so I'm thinking of the OEM springs. 

I'm just wondering if this is a good combo? And will replacing the shocks improve the ride quality? (I'm very aware of the drawbacks of having two solid axles mind you )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2023 22:02 #248053 by gv42
I have AVO shocks on my jimny, very smooth, and a good range of adjustment, I run 2 inch + springs ( jimnybits) if anything it improves the ride, massive upgrade from the OEM equipment

Jimny 2003, and 2013
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darthblaker7474

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Mar 2023 04:21 #248054 by Lambert
Stock height and adjustable dampers is exactly what I will be doing when mine get too tired.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Mar 2023 10:44 - 15 Mar 2023 10:45 #248055 by LesNewell
I'm running AVO shocks on my Jimny, though they aren't the Jimnybits ones. I find them OK but I prefer the GAZ shocks I use on some of my other cars (Jimnybits black raptor premium are GAZ shocks). I don't think Jimnybits do them in standard length though.
Either way they should be a definite improvement over standard. You do need to spend a bit of time experimenting with settings to get the best results.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2023 10:45 by LesNewell.

More
15 Mar 2023 17:59 #248061 by sniper
AVO dampers are great kit, I run them with Eibach +30mm springs and they are a very good match... My car handles like a go-kart and is a scream on twisty B roads.

On standard springs, they should still be a significant improvement. 

Be wary of tired original springs, they recommend change at 50k, very very rarely done.

My advice would be to change to fresh springs if you can afford it, even at standard height. Also, have a look at the Eibach springs, they handle better than new standard springs and don't need any other modifications, if that's what concerns you.

sniper

More
19 Mar 2023 16:24 #248102 by Darthblaker7474
Thank you for all your suggestions! I feel much more confident to get this as my set up now. 

More
07 Jun 2023 19:46 #249456 by Darthblaker7474
Changed my shock absorbers on the rear for some cheapo ones as the OSR one was squeaking

OH. MY. DAYS. what a difference! it's like angels are carrying me over bumps now 

More
11 Jun 2023 12:56 #249498 by Rabid Rhino
Cheapo. I like them.
What brand & where did you get them from ?
Part numbers ?

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.

More
18 Jun 2023 18:19 #249547 by Darthblaker7474
So the one I found in my mates Jimny was a Japanparts one, part № MM-80022. The one I got from eBay was literally the cheapest, I can't recall the brand but it was in a black and yellow box.

They'll do for now until the my budget allows for new shocks and springs on all 4 corners.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds