BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Registering a modified JB74W from EU to CH

More
09 Mar 2023 08:33 #247987 by PNP
Recently I moved from the EU to CH and had to import my modified Jimny (2019) and get registered wirh the Swiss Service des Automobiles et de la Navigation (SAN). This process caused issues and had to employ a technical service in order to submit technical verification of all (non factory) modifications inclusive, but not limited,of: 
winch
long range tank
tires
air compressor
air locker
sliders...
gross weight limits for front and rear axles
Document requirements included the CE of the equipment and of course the vehicle's Manufacturer's Certificate of Compliance (CE) where amongst all data the front (680kgs) and rear axle (880kgs) are mentioned.
The issue which created the main obstacle was the winch, where the front axle weight limit was exceeded. Eventually the winch install was taken off so as to comply with the front axle gross weight limit and get the car registered.
Bottom line is that if one wants to be compliant and legal with a Jimny, in line with a car being insured, any modifications on a JB74W have to be thought out extremely carefully, as to not exceed the gross weight limits. Watching and observing kitted out JB74 s' where i.e. bars, roof racks, roof top tents and other stuff are placed on a limited in weight vehicle, let alone roof limit of 30kgs definitely makes Jimnys' technically uninsured. Similarly, even if accesories have i.e. EU homologation, the weight limits should be carefully considered to ensure gross weight limit compliance. Personally, I was always considerate of weight and keeping my Jimny as light as possible, but this exercise took it to another level.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2023 10:03 #247988 by Roger Fairclough
Many thanks. We consider ourselves warned.

Roger

More
09 Mar 2023 10:28 #247989 by lookonimages
LOL, maybe this is a first time to admit. Living in a 3rd/4th world country we do not have the schlep like this and we way better of without these draconian controls.

Yes weight is always a huge factor that have to be considered for safety, so I don't discount your post in any way. In fact I am firm believer in stringent weight management in any vehicle, especially in a Jimny

Just sometimes the compliance requirements in EU/Swiss etc make me shake my head in disbelieve of what you have to put up with. They sure have you in tight squeeze.

For 4x4 we have some great insurance companies for overlanding that cater for our market in africa and especially sub saharan countries where there are a little more leeway yet controlled, but nothing like you describe.

For instance I have opted for removable winch. I can use both front and rear. (Have front tow bar point similar to rear that is build into the front bumper)

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
09 Mar 2023 11:48 #247994 by PNP
Indeed, the1st priority is getting Swiss plates thus dealing with Swiss Service des Automobiles et de la Navigation (SAN) is a must. Insurance companies that are 4x4 and overlanding savvy exist here too, however this problem is more on the technical side of getting the vehicle on the road and at the end of the day insurance will pay out if the vehicle is compliant.Of course, there are alternatives to having the winch fitted on a temp basis, but again the problem is hauling ~50kgs having the front mounted hitch as well, which will again require technical approval by SAN, the bottom line is that the law here requires whatever modification one does, must be approved. A winch at the end of the day is an insurance, as a light vehicle like the Jimny rarely gets stuck and there are alternatives to winching out..

More
09 Mar 2023 12:42 #247995 by Roger Fairclough
With my SJ I carried a small hand winch and a length of 18mm nylon rope. Rope to winch and winch to anchor and tension the rope and then drive until tension released and then do it again until I was out. This system allowed me to pull in any direction.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds