BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Best/ quiet off road tyres for a Jimny suggestions

More
05 Mar 2023 17:54 #247908 by Dirtsurfer
Hi all, I have 2003 Jimny that has Sahara 215/75 15 tyres on and boy are they noisy ! Looking to replace them but don't want to end up with different tyres that are just as noisy.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2023 18:08 #247909 by Roger Fairclough
I assume you mean Insa Safari Turbo Tyres. If so these are very aggressive mud tyres and will be very noisy. I suggest you ask around in your area for a suitable every day road tyre, but be aware that if you need the grip of the Safari's you will just have to suffer the noise.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtsurfer

More
05 Mar 2023 18:29 #247911 by 300bhpton
What tyres do you have now and what is your intended use? Lots of choice these days. But will depend on your expectations and where you want to use them to how suitable they are. 

• Jonesie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2023 22:58 #247914 by Jonesie
Been running BFG all terrains ( trac edge ) for over 30 years on landies / hilux and now ma Jim and wouldn’t use anything else.

More
05 Mar 2023 23:10 #247916 by 300bhpton
I don’t think the Trac-Edge has been available for best part of 20+ years.

More
06 Mar 2023 06:45 - 06 Mar 2023 06:46 #247919 by RumbleAndSway
I agree, the BFG AllTerrain seem to go on for ever, brilliant off road and look great. However, the cold wet tarmac grip of the BFG is appalling. If it weren’t for their other strengths I’d choose something else.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2023 06:46 by RumbleAndSway.

More
06 Mar 2023 11:47 #247921 by DrRobin
I have run Bridgestone Duellers, Yokohama Geolandars and swap between Hancook Dyna-pros (summer) and Maxxis Worm-drives (winter).

The Dyna-pros and Worm-drives are slightly more noisy than the others, but to be honest engine and wind noise is so high (except on a very smooth road at night) I don't really notice much difference between these two and the Duellers/Geolandars.

There is hardly anything to choose between the Dyna-pros and Worm-drives on the road (noise, comfort, fuel), but off road the Worm-drives are much better.

We are forecast for some snow over the next week, yippee!, I just love driving past Range Rovers and BMW X-drives that are stuck in 1/2" of snow.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
06 Mar 2023 11:54 #247922 by 300bhpton

I agree, the BFG AllTerrain seem to go on for ever, brilliant off road and look great. However, the cold wet tarmac grip of the BFG is appalling. If it weren’t for their other strengths I’d choose something else.

Old BFG AT's weren't very good when old, they went hard. And where then horrid in the wet. Newer ones (AO2's) should be much better. Haven't known them to be an issue in the wet.

Really the biggest issue is price!!!! For some reason all BFG tyres are massively over priced at the moment. I'd like some KM3's, but no way I'd pay the crazy money being asked as the moment for them.

However, unless the op comes back and tells us what they are running at the moment. This is all speculation... there are lots of different types of mud terrain. And without knowing what they have now, it is impossible to tell what would be better or worse.

AT's are fine to some extent, but can quickly get out of their depth off road. And in reality are not a substitue if you actually need an MT.

More
06 Mar 2023 16:54 #247928 by Dirtsurfer
I do a lot off driving on muddy fields when out shooting and metal detecting but travel some 60 miles to get there so although the Insa Safari Turbos work extremely well off road they are not so hot on road and just so noisy. Guess I am wanting the best of both worlds and maybe they don't exist! not looking for road tyre quietness but thought maybe if I paid a little more I would get better on road noise levels

More
06 Mar 2023 17:39 #247929 by 300bhpton

I do a lot off driving on muddy fields when out shooting and metal detecting but travel some 60 miles to get there so although the Insa Safari Turbos work extremely well off road they are not so hot on road and just so noisy. Guess I am wanting the best of both worlds and maybe they don't exist! not looking for road tyre quietness but thought maybe if I paid a little more I would get better on road noise levels

I'm still a little lost on what tyres you currently have?

Insa Turbo make remould tyres. Many are of a more extreme mud terrain pattern. some more aggressive than the original tread they are based on.

I don't know of a safari pattern from Insa Turbo, although another remould tyre maker might have used that name.

If you want better road manners, look for a less aggressive pattern and probably a new tyre rather than a remould. They won't do as well in deep mud and really poor off road conditions. But should still be pretty good off road.

There should be some choice, but'll depend what you want to spend really. BFG KM3, General Grabber X3, etc

More
06 Mar 2023 18:04 #247930 by jlines
I run BFG 217/75/R15 KM3 mud tires on two new Jimnys and I’m happy with them for road use. Not totally silent but not annoying in my own opinion.  

More
06 Mar 2023 18:05 #247931 by DrRobin
Dirtsurfer mentioned Insa Turbo Sahara in the first post, as you (300bhp...) point out they are mud tyres, just looking them up they are designed as 80% off-road and only 20% on-road, so it's probably not surprising they are loud on the road.

I suspect any mud tyre is going to be a compromise on the road. You might also check they are road legal, they probably are.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds