BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:On board storage options?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Feb 2023 10:07 #247461 by Lambert
Whatcha. I need help. Again.
currently I have my EDC bag that I lift in and out every day full of useful farmer things. It works well. However I also have many things like boxes of emergency nails and screws and stuff and also the wheel change equipment wedged all over but out of the way of the main load area. Thing is all of it could easily be 30 kg which is essentially dead weight most of the time but it's always there. I'm trying to decide if I would be better with all of it in a crate in the load area that is easy to remove but takes up real estate or do I carry on and forfeit the weight saving available?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2023 12:53 #247469 by jackonlyjack
I'm just collecting parts
Going to put some cable tray across the rear load space
connected where the grab handles fit above rear windows
Just for my straps/strops,first aid kit,spare belts ect 

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Feb 2023 18:18 #247480 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic On board storage options?
I've tried roof storage and it's not for me, with 4 bales of hay in the back I need the head room. Really it's more about having the weight easily removable as opposed to the lack of volume when the weight isn't a priority. I guess it would be prudent to take everything out and get an accurate weight of it all and decide with that in mind.

More
09 Feb 2023 22:42 #247495 by Roger Fairclough
I removed the back seats and fitted a home made box for basic walking essentials and maps. The top of the box is flat so could easily accommodate another box. The sides of the main box have tie down points for straps.

Roger

More
10 Feb 2023 09:18 #247498 by LM42
Replied by LM42 on topic Re:On board storage options?
5 door jimny?

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Feb 2023 09:23 #247500 by Lambert
Initial reports suggest they are even worse for payload than the 3 door.

More
10 Feb 2023 09:33 #247502 by LM42
But more space , pretty sure with 4 people in board, that would have more weight then a few bits and bobs

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Feb 2023 09:55 #247503 by Lambert
For clarification my Jimny with the stereo, towbar and roof system weights 1140 kg or leaves a usable payload of 280kg. I use half of that. My EDC is another 20 and all the other stuff which I need to weigh is probably another 30 to 40 kg. Add a passenger and a few job specific tools or some sheep food and I'm at capacity. Taking the edc out is easy but the other stuff is stored in a manner that preserves as much of the rear load area as possible which is important as much of what I carry is bulky but not very heavy. However getting the things out of their little nooks and such is tedious. So I am trying to decide if being able to easily remove weight is more important than preservation of load area volume. At the minute everything has a space but that comes at the cost of overall payload being used for things I might not need more than once a month.

More
10 Feb 2023 10:03 #247504 by LM42
Sort of grab bags ? Add and remove when needed ? Weight not much of an issue, it's not as if it will stop working, when over

More
10 Feb 2023 10:07 #247505 by LesNewell
I'm a fan of supermarket totes, those heavy duty plastic trays supermarkets use to store and display produce. They are rugged and stackable, with built in carrying handles. You can get them fairly cheap second hand off eBay and other sites.
On the down side they are fairly large so you can use up a lot of floor space if you don't stack them.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
11 Feb 2023 18:25 #247569 by Lambert
So I filled a box and weighed it and the edc bag and it came to 43kg. Having gone through it all I have got it down to 33kg. This is an improvement definitely. Also the box is only 400x300x200 ish so isn't taking up too much space and is easy to remove. Will see how I get on with it.

More
22 Feb 2023 19:51 - 22 Feb 2023 19:53 #247717 by JBradders
I kinda like this setup... 

...Unrelated, but the cabriolet roof over the back would also make it an awesome truck for lamping rabbits & foxes.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2023 19:53 by JBradders.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds