BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Fair price for 4th & 6 year services?

More
07 Feb 2023 14:09 #247409 by 300bhpton
My Jimny is 3 years old!!! Can't believe how time flies.

Just had its 36 month service, although it is only on 19,000 miles.

I had a service plan for this and I was happy with the prices. The invoice today was £260 for the service, albeit covered by the service plan.

Just had a quote for a renewed service plan for the next 3 years.

Year 4 - 48 month (37,500 miles) = £427

Year 6 - 72 month (75,000 miles) = £526

Do these sound like fair prices? They seem considerably more than years 1, 2 & 3 services. Oddly year 5 is quoted as £236

I can on the schedule there is slightly more work on year 4 & 6, but I wouldn't have said double vs other years.

What would you pay? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Feb 2023 20:01 #247422 by Lambert
I do my own services so that seems very expensive, I know dealers have to keep the lights on but still. Also once it's out of warranty there little real benefit in terms of additional value if you sell it on especially into the trade, even my local dealership have said that as long as the book is stamped with something that includes a vat number it makes no difference to their trade in valuation. Fortunately I am a qualified mechanical engineer and have a vat number.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Feb 2023 08:04 #247434 by Scimike
Did they give you any indication as to what they intend to do for each year to support the cost?

It also very difficult for me to comment on valve as I do it all myself, but then I am also struggling to understand what will cost that much. Plugs, oils, brake fluid and coolant are about all you change, belts fall into inspect territory. None of this takes very long or costs that much in parts, so that's why I struggle with the cost. 
I would get an independent garage quote for the work for comparison, all you need is a stamp in the book to maintain any warranty.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
08 Feb 2023 11:18 #247438 by Busta
Have a look at the service schedule and see what those services entail. It doesn't take much for the price to be pushed up. E.g. the spark plugs are iridium so probably don't get changed until the 4th year, and I bet the dealer price for a set of iridium plugs is more than £100 + 1/2 hr labour. Inspecting the drivetrain fluids could be another 1/2 hr labour. Plenty of little things that add up!

More
08 Feb 2023 11:41 #247439 by DrRobin
I am sure there will be a lot of things need changing according to the service interval at 4 years (37k miles) and even more at 6 years (75k miles), but things like spark plugs are more dependant on mileage than time, so if the vehicle hasn't done the miles, I would inspect but not change things like plugs.

Fluids do degrade over time so it is harder to justify not changing them.

However, my other car when it went to the local garage, they looked at the mileage, looked at the dip stick and then said the highly expensive synthetic oil would be perfectly fine until next year so didn't change it and didn't charge me. you won't get that a main dealers.

I think what needs doing at the service interval should be in the owners manual, if not you can probably find it online.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
08 Feb 2023 22:46 #247455 by Bob1050
I'm told that the Jimny has a critical engine gasket that should be changed at 4 years old plus the usual fluids?

More
09 Feb 2023 14:22 #247473 by 300bhpton
Thanks all.

TBH I normally do most work on my other vehicles, but seeing as the Jimny was bought new, I've been intending to keep it fully stamped. There is also a body inspection to preserve the body warranty, which given the 3rd Gens tendency to rust, thought might be well worth keeping up to date.

I was more unsure if the prices from the dealer where akin to what other dealers would charge or if anyone was baulking at the price.

I have the schedule, it is section 6 in the owners manual (iirc).

Just wondered if anyone else had a similar service plan. Although I guess there must be some Jimny's that have now had their 4th year service too.

More
09 Feb 2023 18:18 #247481 by Soeley
I took out a 5 year service plan when I got mine, it had it's 4th service on January, but was obviously included. 

More
09 Feb 2023 22:37 #247494 by Roger Fairclough
Tonka is 3 years old and will have its service next week Cost will be £287 plus the MoT . I also will use the main dealer as it will include the yearly check on corrosion. Mileage is just 10,000.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds