BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Government to review the MOT after 3 years

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
18 Jan 2023 13:22 #246990 by DrRobin
The government is too review the requirement for a MOT when a new car becomes 3 years old, to save the motorist some money and move it to 4 years.  Apparently NI is already 4 years.

The AA is against it, they say that 1 in 10 three year old cars fails.  The RAC isn't against the move, but says high mileage cars should still have a MOT at 3 years.

What's your view?

Rumour is they might also look at relaxing the yearly MOT, but not holding my breath.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2023 14:02 #246992 by Gadget
I think it's a bad idea. Watching some of the videos of cars brought into US garages gives you an indication of how bad things can get without regular inspections. MOT costs are peanuts compared to fuel and purchase costs. If you can afford to buy a new car, you can afford to MOT it after 3 years.

To be honest I'd ditch the exemption for older cars as well, requiring them to have a roadworthiness test each year (with exclusions for emissions and other modern requirements they couldn't hope to achieve).

More
18 Jan 2023 14:52 #246993 by Roger Fairclough
I wholeheartedly agree with Gadget.

Roger

More
18 Jan 2023 15:28 #246996 by me101
Agree with Gadget, it is just gambling with road safety. Some people can't even change a headlight bulb without blinding other drivers so I would say keep that yearly check, and keep the 3 year rule.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
18 Jan 2023 16:21 - 18 Jan 2023 16:21 #246998 by Scimike
On the cash side of things it doesn't save the people that need it the most any money. If you can afford a new car you can afford the MOT.
The ability for it to pass an MOT depends upon how the owner treats the vehicle, rather than time or mileage. 
As the majority have no idea or mechanical sympathy, plus these days they simply don't care as it's rented /PCP,   they should be looking to MOT it every year from new. So very bad idea.
Just my opinion.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 18 Jan 2023 16:21 by Scimike.

More
18 Jan 2023 16:35 #246999 by 300bhpton

I think it's a bad idea. Watching some of the videos of cars brought into US garages gives you an indication of how bad things can get without regular inspections. MOT costs are peanuts compared to fuel and purchase costs. If you can afford to buy a new car, you can afford to MOT it after 3 years.

To be honest I'd ditch the exemption for older cars as well, requiring them to have a roadworthiness test each year (with exclusions for emissions and other modern requirements they couldn't hope to achieve).
Don't agree at all. It is all about numbers...

While some cars in the US look bad. The number of accident due to car condition is very tiny and not really any different to here. The same is true with classic cars. They still need to be just as roadworthy today as they ever have been. The only change has been a mandatory test.

I suspect if you go an look up primary cause of all road traffic accidents, vehicle condition is probably way way way way down the list.

And it isn't as if having an annual check guarantees a set quality either. Plenty of ways to get around an MoT or have a car in a non roadworthy condition weeks later.

There has been talks for years about moving MoT's to ever other year.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jan 2023 16:54 #247001 by Lambert
Not again. There's been rumblings on this for years and it's not likely to change. Now if they were on about removing MOT lanes from garages that stand to profit from any work needed and instead have all tests done by independent providers be they local government or otherwise then that I can get behind as you don't have a boss looking over the lane spying out chargeable unnecessary work to relieve the unsuspecting from their cash.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Jan 2023 23:26 - 18 Jan 2023 23:27 #247007 by yakuza
Here in Norway it is every other year.
Seems fine.
Some New points came this year with more check points on Newer cars. and for some reason more rust can be tolerated.

Never had a New car so no idea on those.

Trailers and mopeds are not checked. They should be as that is where the accidents often relates to lack of maintanence.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2023 23:27 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds