BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Help with rust - have I missed a good deal?

More
24 Dec 2022 13:20 - 24 Dec 2022 15:03 #246526 by PeterNorthern
I'm new to the forum - I've always loved the jimnys and now the chance has come for me purchase one. 

Been looking a bit online and went and saw one today.  

2003 Jimny, 53,000 miles, £4,250

I drove it and had a good look.  I like what I see, except for the amount of corrosion on the backend. 

Please help:    Have I missed out on a deal?  Or dodged a bullet?

Glad of any help - thank you very much.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2022 15:03 by PeterNorthern.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2022 13:22 #246527 by PeterNorthern
There are a few more pictures - but I had reached the limit.

More
24 Dec 2022 13:33 - 24 Dec 2022 13:36 #246528 by Scimike
It depends upon the vehicle age and how much they want for it.
Rear body mounts and front sills look a bit iffy, would require a good thump to see how thick the metal is. If these have gone it's likely the front body mounts are shot.
If it's cheap enough and you are prepared to weld it could be good.
Me? I would look for better. The thing with rust is what you can see is the tip of the iceberg, underneath it spreads further.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 24 Dec 2022 13:36 by Scimike.

More
24 Dec 2022 15:05 #246529 by PeterNorthern
Thanks - I thought I had included that. (have added it in above now)

Its an 03, £4,250. 53,000 miles. I didn't think the price/mileage was too bad. But don't have the experience to know how much rust is expected.

More
24 Dec 2022 15:39 #246530 by jlines
Doesn’t look like a deal to me, more like an overpriced wreck. I would think you could find a better one for the money.

More
24 Dec 2022 16:05 #246531 by Scimike
Feels too much for me also, and that rust is going to be worse than it looks.
But I am out of touch with prices, they are all a bit stupid at the moment. That's  £1000 - £1500 tops in my head

What I am certain about is good ones are out there but take a bit of finding. Be prepared to travel as the Jimny in general is not that common, I eventually found ours 125 miles from home at a dealers.  Good luck

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
24 Dec 2022 16:45 #246533 by DrRobin
Sadly Jimnys do like to rust and it looks like this one has rusted in all of the problem places. It seems over priced to me, especially all of the work it is going to/already need to be done, just for it to pass it’s MOT, but then it depends on how much work you can do yourself.

I would also put the registration plate of any vehicle I was thinking of buying in to the government’s MOT history to what was need in the past. Walk away from anything that required loads of work last MOT, especially if it was only recent as some people do a quick repair after MOT failure, get it to pass and then sell it.

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Best of luck

Robin
Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
24 Dec 2022 17:22 #246535 by Busta
Buy on condition, not mileage. That price is extortionate given the condition. My 2003 Jimny on 120,000 miles has much less rust than that. I paid £800 for it 5 years ago.

More
25 Dec 2022 17:45 #246544 by PeterNorthern
Thanks.
Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place (or maybe the market is shockingly inflated atm) but I can't seem to find any drivable Jimny under about £4k. Anywhere

More
25 Dec 2022 18:04 #246545 by DrRobin
The problem is new ones went on allocation a few years ago then were pulled from the UK market, this created a market for them and pushed all prices up.

Good ones do come up on here and as Busta says don’t get hung up on mileage, look at the body work condition, an engine is easier to fix/replace than replacing rusty body panels or mounts.

They are out there, but prices are still 30% up n where they should be.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
25 Dec 2022 18:43 #246546 by jlines
There's a few up for sale on facebook marketplace for under 4k but I wouldn't know about their condition. Jimny prices did go up when the new version came out so even the scruffiest/rotten examples are around 1000 to 1500. Also this time of year is peak Jimny selling season as people want them for the winter. As others have said with used jimnys it really comes down to conditon rather than mileage and year.

More
25 Dec 2022 18:49 #246547 by Scimike
Just don't be in a rush if you can.
The current price trend won't last, it feels on the verge of sliding to me and this time of year 4x4s are historical more expensive apparently.
You will find better. As said don't worry too much about the milage, they are easy to fix and generally reliable, just check everything works.
Good luck in your search.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds