BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2wd to 4wd

More
24 Dec 2022 01:15 #246513 by joe
2wd to 4wd was created by joe
I live in Japan and have a 660cc, 2007 XG, auto Jimny and I have a question about going from 2wd to 4wd. It's now the snowy season here and often the snow on the main roads is completely compacted, but very slippery. Because the terrain is mostly flat, and because of the low speed I have to drive at, the tyres are not scrambling for traction, but occasionally on small inclines they do, and occasionally it can get a bit hairy.

Also, when I get to said slight incline in 2wd, I need to switch to 4wd to make it up the hill. Do I need to stop the car in order to do this? Or can I press the 4wd button on the move?

I'm just worried that when I set off to work on flat terrain in 4wd (knowing that I have a small hill en-route) that I'm doing some damage. 

Thanks,

Joe 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2022 06:47 - 24 Dec 2022 06:51 #246514 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic 2wd to 4wd
On a smooth surface going straight with little load and no wheelspin, you can Just push the button.
At high speed there is less use for the 4x4, but no harm in it being on as long the surface is snow. Do not use it on black asfalt as that will cause strain on the drivetrain. 

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2022 06:51 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joe

More
24 Dec 2022 22:59 #246537 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic 2wd to 4wd
For my 2015 Jimny the manual states that 4WD can be turned on while driving up to 100kmh. For 4 WDL the car has to stop and be in N.

Merry Christmas!

More
25 Dec 2022 12:32 #246540 by joe
Replied by joe on topic 2wd to 4wd
yakuza and RainerK, thanks for your replies.

I'm just wondering, how does the drivetrain differentiate between black asphalt and compacted snow that doesn't cause tyre slippage? Most of my journey to work is on the latter with only 10% dodgy roads inclines.

(To clarify: 90% is dodgy - very compacted snow with some parts extremely icy and slippery in 2wd, but if I drive slowly, I can make it without tyre slippage, however, any lack of concentration, I'm in the ditch. The other 10% is hilly and needs the 4wd option.)

Best,

joe

More
25 Dec 2022 17:22 #246541 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2wd to 4wd
It doesn't. That's why you need to be careful to only use 4wd when necessary.

More
25 Dec 2022 17:30 #246542 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic 2wd to 4wd
2 wd is power to the rear wheels only. This mode is used on a sealed surface, ie concrete tar or asphalt.4 wd is used on slippery surfaces and that most definitely includes any form of ice and any form of snow whether it is compressed or otherwise. You do not wait for the Jimny to start slipping, you engage 4 wd so that power is distributed to all 4 wheels. This will help you to maintain traction. You will need to moderate the power you are using. Do not expect to be able to travel at your normal dry road speeds even when in 4 wd.
If you can, find a smooth level piece of ground covered in snow and experiment, firstly in 2 wd and then in 4 wd. Note how 4 wd gives you greater control but also note that 4 wd does not improve your braking.

Merry Christmas.

Roger

More
27 Dec 2022 08:26 #246566 by joe
Thanks for your helpful replies.

With a 2007 Jimny auto, up to what speed do you think it's safe to change to 4wd when on the move?

Best,

joe 

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Dec 2022 09:56 #246567 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 2wd to 4wd
60mph 100kmh according to the owners manual.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Dec 2022 08:16 #246574 by joe
I've never been 60mph in my Jimny. The speed limits on the local roads here are 50kph. I've been 80kph on the highway but she wonders a lot.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out.

Best,
joe

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds