BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What's the biggest battery you can fit in a Gen.4?

More
17 Jan 2023 20:41 #246977 by Soeley
If your battery is draining that quickly, something is wrong somewhere. The alarm you mention is that the factory fitted one or have you fitted and aftermarket alarm?

Have you fitted anything else electrical that could be draining the battery?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2023 21:26 #246978 by crash486
I fitted a Victron smart battery protect to ensure my accessories could not completely drain my battery.
Bluetooth enabled it cuts off my accessories (wired via separate fuse panel) when it reaches a preset voltage.

crash486 JB74W

More
18 Jan 2023 10:41 #246985 by fluoxethine
It's an aftermarket alarm fitted by the local Suzuki dealer. I will need to debug the circuitry one by one.

The only other thing custom is KENWOOD DMX5020DABS but I doubt it's the issue.

More
18 Jan 2023 11:05 #246986 by fluoxethine
Awesome. I will get that later on when connecting dash cam with parking mode. Now it works via cigarette socket.

More
19 Jan 2023 22:31 - 19 Jan 2023 22:34 #247029 by RainerK
Obviously your car uses too much power. On you picture I saw 0,2.. amps. This is too much by at least a factor of 10. So it should be less than 0,02A.

The usual way to determine the fault would be to remove the fuses one by one and then check in what circuit the defect is and go from there on.

Also make sure you leave the measurements on for some time (maybe 15min) before you start because usually there are consumers that take a few minutes to shut down and go to sleep.

And maybe set your battery protect to 13V or something like this. Then you make sure that your consumers are only activated if the battery is charged and the motor is running.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2023 22:34 by RainerK.

More
20 Jan 2023 12:27 - 20 Jan 2023 12:30 #247037 by lookonimages

crash486 wrote: I fitted a Victron smart battery protect to ensure my accessories could not completely drain my battery.
Bluetooth enabled it cuts off my accessories (wired via separate fuse panel) when it reaches a preset voltage.

crash486 JB74W

Have the exact same smart controler installed.
Extremely happy, easy setup with blue tooth app.

Have a few addons and this device saved my bacon a few time. Connected into my main line I added going into the cab for various stuff.

But this currently only for my additional accessories but it works perfect
Last edit: 20 Jan 2023 12:30 by lookonimages.

More
20 Jan 2023 13:42 #247039 by DrRobin
20 - 50mA is normal current consumption when locked. Is your reading of 200mA when the car is locked or unlocked? "00mA will drain the Jimny battery in about a week (nearly 5Ahr/day).

It might be your Kenwood, check that the permanent live and ignition are wired in the right place.

Does the radio switch on without the key in the ignition? If it does the Kenwood might be drawing too much current in standby.

Do you have an active DAM antenna, does that run all of the time?

The easest way to tell would be to remove the radio and test again with you meter to see the difference.

Also try disconnecting the alarm, that might have a high current draw.

A dashcam running in park mode is going to take a bit of current.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
23 Jan 2023 18:58 - 23 Jan 2023 19:03 #247125 by fluoxethine
Thank you all! I finally debugged the circuitry. I had to contact the manufacturer and service center explained how the alarm's power draw changes after locking the car. 200mA was only for the first few minutes. Jimny was taking ~55mA when locked without alarm connected. With alarm on I had to wait ~20 minutes before it went to sleep and back to 50-60mA. However every few minutes it spikes to around 80mA for a couple of seconds.

Anyway I have to change the battery as it went dead during winter and desulfation didn't help much. I was misled as the KONNWEI KW510 battery tester showed GOOD status for the battery health. It reached rated CCA of 370A when was fully charged but dropped to ~260A at 12.3V.

After considering all pros and cons I chose EFB battery which has 55Ah (+10Ah vs stock) and has almost same size as the original one. The model is Sebang EFB N55L 55Ah (L/W/H [mm]: 235 / 125 / 190).

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jan 2023 19:03 by fluoxethine.

More
23 Jan 2023 19:26 #247126 by DrRobin
I have experience of high standby currents dropping after a few minutes, my other car (Porsche Boxster) draws nearly 1A when you first switch off the ignition, then after an hour it settles back a bit, not sure what the level is tbh. However, after 6 days it disables the remote locking, to save current, so for 6 days it must be sat there drawing a large amount of current for very little gain. As regards electrics/alarms it’s completely standard.

It has an 80AHr battery which it will flatten in about 4 to 5 weeks if you don’t use it, so must be drawing upwards of 100mA.

The battery is in the front which is an electronic release, so if the battery runs down you have to open with a key then connect a decent battery with jumper cables to the footwell fuse box whilst the alarm goes off and stops the bonnet opening, a right pain.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
24 Jan 2023 09:46 #247138 by saxj

Unless you match the alternator with the bigger battery you run into potential issues with over working the alt which could over heat it and kill it prematurely. If however you are looking at a supplementary battery on a split charge system for additional loading that's different but really still needs a bigger alt.
My Gen 4 Jimny's alternator quite happily charges my 2 auxiliary batteries (both 100AH). My Jimny is 4 years old and there is no indication that the alternator doesn't cope.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds