BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What's the biggest battery you can fit in a Gen.4?

More
25 Dec 2022 17:42 #246543 by Roger Fairclough
Being doing some more research. Original battery has 370 CCA. Best so far found that is the same size has 450 CCA. That's an increase of 21.6%. Reality says that this should be enough unless I want to modify the mounting but this morning my neighbour has pointed me towards a battery maker/supplier less than 1 km away so I will investigate.
Now, whilst I am on, all things point to my original battery being a bog standard lead /acid variety ie not AGM. Anybody care to comment?

Merry Christmas.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2022 19:02 - 25 Dec 2022 19:36 #246548 by Scimike
AGM is just designed for vehicles with Stop /Start technology. They can have a higher charge rate than standard flooded, but they are still lead based technology. This higher charge rate is ideal if your vehicle is stop/start. Hence they may draw slightly more current from a dumb alternator, but it won't cause any damage to the alternator or cabling, it's just charging faster.
If you have a smart alternator I suspect it now needs to know AH / CCA and AGM tech to allow the ECU to charge it.

SO dumb old fashioned alternator = no problem.
Modern smart alternator = ok if the ECU knows
Modern smart alternator and the ECU don't know = it may not charge it fully etc

I believe (could be wrong),that the G4 is not start /stop, so no need to go AGM?
Sorry don't know beyond the old tech. Unfortunately the smart stuff has a programmed code interfering with good old fashioned Volts/ohms/amps and how much it interferes changes from vehicle to vehicle. Some smart system don't do much, others want to know how old the battery is and the colour of your underwear etc.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 25 Dec 2022 19:36 by Scimike.

More
25 Dec 2022 23:44 #246550 by lightning
Sorry have l missed something here, why would you need a larger capacity battery. Has your existing battery gone flat with the use you are putting the vehicle to?

We've had no issues with the battery in ours, it's always kept up and no sign of it struggling.

More
26 Dec 2022 08:01 - 26 Dec 2022 08:12 #246552 by yakuza
This is a gen3 but might be similar.
I got a fridge for camping, extra lights, compressor, some sort of periodical electric leak, and do very much short trips 1 to 2km. My asian cheap 45Ah was not coping. Two years ago I changed to a 70Ah AGM. Original generator. Not had any issues at all since. Leave headlights or worklight on for 15 or 20 minutes, use the compressor without starting the engine, cooler fridge on overnight. The car sits in the garage in the cold winter for a week without charging, No worries. If the generator quits it will be replaced by one with higher amps of course but no apparent need now.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...kuza?start=96#217746

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2022 08:12 by yakuza.

More
26 Dec 2022 14:29 #246555 by Busta
Also worth noting that CCA (cold cranking amps) isn't a measure of battery capacity. It's the maximum current the battery can output for 30 seconds at -18 degrees. The standard battery has more than enough CCA to start the car in those conditions, so there is no benefit to fitting a higher CCA (unless you have fitted an accessory that draws more current than the starter motor.)
If you want a higher capacity battery you need to look at AH (amp hours). You can fit a higher AH without needing to change anything else.

More
26 Dec 2022 20:14 #246563 by Roger Fairclough

Also worth noting that CCA (cold cranking amps) isn't a measure of battery capacity. It's the maximum current the battery can output for 30 seconds at -18 degrees. The standard battery has more than enough CCA to start the car in those conditions, so there is no benefit to fitting a higher CCA (unless you have fitted an accessory that draws more current than the starter motor.)
If you want a higher capacity battery you need to look at AH (amp hours). You can fit a higher AH without needing to change anything else.
CCA has taken over from A/H in the value that people put on the power of a battery, which is why I have quoted CCA and not A/H but if you want the comparison then the original battery has 370 CCA and 45 A/H whilst a direct replacement (physical that is) from Yuasa gives 450CCA and 50A/H.

As to why, read further back.

You can fit the Yuasa battery, ref. HSB 053 without changing anything as it is a direct replacement, so your final comment is answered.

Merry Christmas

Roger

More
27 Dec 2022 10:11 #246568 by Busta
The Yuasa HSB053 (also known as the 5053 and 5057) has been the standard battery upgrade for the gen 3 for years. Can't say I've noticed any difference from using the higher capacity batteries myself, other than the obvious contrast when going from an old, tired battery to a new one.

CCA and AH are both used as they measure different things. In your situation of the battery losing charge over time you don't need more CCA, you need more AH. Obviously one often comes with the other, but not always. e.g. lithium batteries. But more importantly if you are having to re-charge the battery of any car that is in regular use then you have either a faulty battery or something is draining the battery while the car is off.

More
27 Dec 2022 14:20 #246570 by Roger Fairclough

The Yuasa HSB053 (also known as the 5053 and 5057) has been the standard battery upgrade for the gen 3 for years. Can't say I've noticed any difference from using the higher capacity batteries myself, other than the obvious contrast when going from an old, tired battery to a new one.

CCA and AH are both used as they measure different things. In your situation of the battery losing charge over time you don't need more CCA, you need more AH. Obviously one often comes with the other, but not always. e.g. lithium batteries. But more importantly if you are having to re-charge the battery of any car that is in regular use then you have either a faulty battery or something is draining the battery while the car is off.
Martin Lines has provided an info. video concerning charging the battery on a Gen.4. It may be of interest to you.

Roger

More
30 Dec 2022 22:49 #246595 by Roger Fairclough
Some more info. The battery fitted to the Audi is a Varta 7P0 915 105. This gives 70A/H and 760 CCA. It is 278mm long x 175mm wide x 190mm high and yes, I reckon that it could be fitted but you will need to fabricate a new tray, fit T3 to T1 terminal adaptors and make a new clamp down.. Cables will fit and don't need modifying as you will still be needing the same current for the starter motor.
Do I need it? no, so why the info. Well there are people with fridges and winches and camping lights etc who might find the info of interest.
If you want more power but want to stay the same size then the Yuasa will fit the bill (and the battery tray) as it has the same physical sizes the terminals are T3 and correctly orientated. Power is 50 A/H with 450CCA. Model no. HSB 053..This will be my choice
In between there are the Yuasa YBX 5012 and the YBX 5063 but both suffer from the same problem as the Varta. they are 175mm wide which is 46 mm more than standard.

Hope this helps.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
02 Jan 2023 12:17 #246630 by Nan
I am frustrated with the battery for Gen4 Jimny . I had no issues with the older cars resting in the garage for 2 weeks. But this Jimny can't take a 9 days rest at all. Would changing to a powerful battery help ? I am tired of changing batteries. It is going to be my 3rd time this year and the cost is rather high.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jan 2023 12:37 #246632 by Lambert
I'm confused, your battery keeps going flat and you are buying a new one each time? You need a battery charger that you plug in the wall. CTek and noco are good places to start looking, you don't even have to remove the battery from the car with some models.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Jan 2023 13:04 - 02 Jan 2023 13:15 #246633 by Scimike
A fully charged battery should easily exceed 2 weeks unless something is drawing excessive current. Assuming its not current draw then this points to the battery not being fully charged during your normal use.
​​Repeated very short journeys with all lights on etc can lead to this situation, at this point you need a plug in charger as Lambert indicates. Martin's done a video on using a ctech to keep a G4 battery topped up.

Now I've said this didn't someone on here have issues keeping a G4 battery topped up during normal use a year back, resulting in trips to the dealer? Not sure what the outcome was or if it was an issue with the smart alternator, but something issimilar. Anyone recall?
Update - just watched video, it's technology getting in the way possibly preventing your battery being charged. Remember it's an improvement as you sit with a flat battery.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 02 Jan 2023 13:15 by Scimike. Reason: Technology getting in the way update.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds