BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Need some assistance.

More
10 Nov 2022 19:36 #245883 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Need some assistance.
I don't, it's just placed on as you would for a pipe, so far it's stayed on. Once the loads attached it's no going to move.
I did once for a trip to Cornwall use a few zip ties, so that would be my permanent way to fix.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2022 20:28 #245884 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Need some assistance.

In the picture you can see the pipe lagging around my extinguisher holder
held in place with velcro works a treat and easily undone 
Attachments:

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Nov 2022 06:41 #245975 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Need some assistance.
Ok so thanks for all the assistance. I have gone for the pipe lagging as it is cheap. Turns out it's also very effective at cancelling the huge amount of wind noise that developed after I took the box off the top. It's now silent at all speeds and a bonus it's not awful to look at and it's easily replaced if damaged. Winner winner chicken dinner!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Nov 2022 10:20 #246046 by Lambert
It's possible I need to be taken to one side and shot. This roof system is developing mission creep. I was following a gorgeous old 911 yesterday and it had a roof rack on made with wooden slats. I want to replicate the look. What is a good species of wood to use and how many slats should I look at with an eye on keeping the weight down but still being usable?

More
22 Nov 2022 14:07 #246047 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Need some assistance.
Any wood suitable for outdoor applications, would be fine, think teak, oak, Iroko, Cedar. Trouble is they are all heavy. Cypress is generally lighter, but not sure where you will get it from. Teak is probably too expensive, so Iroko would be a good alternative.

Or, go for a composite (plastic), that would be strong, light, no maintenance and will look good from a distance.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Nov 2022 19:00 #246049 by Lambert
Just looking up dry weight of wood and oak is about 730kg/m3 while iroko is only 660kg/m3 so a suitable iroko slat would be 890g so with the bars and 6 slats over the meter width of the roof I would be less than 8kg total. Not awful.

More
23 Nov 2022 14:14 #246064 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Need some assistance.
That is interesting about Iroko.

I just thought I would look up Cypress, it's 510kg/m3, so a little bit of a saving, but Red Cedar is only 380kg/m3 and that would be a really nice wood with a wax/oil treatment.

www.simetric.co.uk/si_wood.htm

Trouble is Cedar wouldn't be as hard wearing as Iroko, so that might rule it out.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds