BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gordon Murray daily’s a Jimny

More
21 Sep 2022 20:42 - 22 Sep 2022 05:53 #245036 by RumbleAndSway
This caught my eye. collectingcars.com/podcasts/ Collecting Cars podcasts - Episode 21 Chris Harris interviewing Gordon Murray. 

Gordon Murray designed the Mclaren F1 [only other comparable car designer Adrian Newey - the man behind Red Bull’s F1 success]

Skip to 1;28:54 Gordon Murray on his Jimny: “it’s fun, I didn’t buy it because it’s got the best ride, I bought it because it’s small, it’s light, it’s under 1100 kilos, so it’s not going to slide sideways off the road like a Range Rover on the ice, and it’s fun’.

Reminded me of
[Range Rover v Fiat Panda on ice] the RR may have been on the wrong tyres.

Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 05:53 by RumbleAndSway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2022 21:31 #245037 by jlines
Whilst I'm a die hard Jimny fan I would disagree with his comment on the range rover sliding off the road unlike a Jimny. I would rather be in a Range Rover thats permanant 4wd & heavy in icey conditions than a Jimny thats 2wd, lightweight and rear wheel drive which dances aroud all over the places given the chance. Of course any car will slide on Ice but I've had multiple Jimnys slip up in icey or wet conditons whereas I can't recall my Range Rover giving the slighest hint of stepping out of line. I'm more cautious cornering in my Jimnys than my RR which i know will stay planted around a corner even at higher speeds. I will still take a jimny any day of the week though ;)

More
21 Sep 2022 22:59 #245038 by lightning
Never had any issues with our 2020 Jimny in the bad weather.
So long as you drive it like a 4x4 and not a GTi it's fine. On the one occasion when l took a corner too fast in the rain, l thought l was in the kitty litter but the traction/stability control kicked in and saved me from a difficult conversation with the missus
(it's her car)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Sep 2022 03:32 #245042 by Lambert
The only time I have been nervous about staying on the road has been with the Bridgestone dueler on. With all season or all terrain tyres on not a worry. Both my defender and disco were the exact opposite, sideways ready or not regardless of tyres.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Sep 2022 08:58 - 22 Sep 2022 08:59 #245044 by Gadget
Although it's almost certainly down to tyre choice rather than drivetrain capability, here's another amusing video of a large SUV being embarrassed by a Jimny.

Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 08:59 by Gadget.

More
22 Sep 2022 09:36 - 22 Sep 2022 09:43 #245047 by lightning

l've got a Defender 110 and in snow the Jimny is definitely better, it's lighter and easier to make progress.

lt may also be because of the traction control and diff locks which my Defender doesn't have.

lf the Jimny was 25% larger l would sell the Land Rover and buy one for myself.

As it is, the Jimny is just too small, by the time l've got my tool boxes in the back there's no room for anything else.

We both love "Kevin" the Jimny though, he's a great alternative to a run of the mill hatchback. We swapped a VW Up GTi for ours.

The Up GTi is a superb little car, but my wife never used the performance and l got bollocked every time we went out in it for driving "too fast"

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 09:43 by lightning.

More
22 Sep 2022 11:27 - 22 Sep 2022 11:28 #245051 by DrRobin
Re BMWs, I had a X1, then X3, then 320 (2WD) as company cars all on stock tyres, which are low resistance tyres suited to the motorway in summer, they should come with a warning, don't use off-road, don't use in the wet/snow/mud.

Both X1 and X3 were manuals and useless on the snow, in fact the 320 (an auto) was almost as good (or not quite as bad depending on which way you look at it), it just grind it's way up the hills.

The missus' Qashqai was way better than either of the 4WD BMWs, so yes it is all down to tyres.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 11:28 by DrRobin.

More
22 Sep 2022 12:24 #245052 by yakuza
Since putting in my 1.6 and with the old and hard BFG MT slippers on it, I have been driving my Jimny like an idiot. Sideways in most roundabouts, and if i know the asfalt is old and worn and slippery when wet, i will of course try to make my jimny go a bit sideways. Ok so I admit my somewhat entertaining driving habits have had an impact on the car having to change rear diff, driveshaft and the gearbox when they have failed.
The now old and hard BFG MT will be soon replaced.
Note that they have never seen the snow, and they never will.

In the winter on ice and snow I use proper nordic winter tires. Got to adjust the speed to the grip or lack of it from day to day but still I allways feel there is no problems with the Jimny on ice, it is nice and predictable and does not offer me any surprices. I get everywhere I want to go, and as you may know this is not the flat part of Norway. With lesser tires I would slide down these hills like you see in the US on yo-tube..
The 4x4 is often on during road use in the winter. Allways on when driving on snow and ice below 30-40mph.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Sep 2022 13:20 #245054 by Lambert
It's becoming my general practice to run the hubs locked in when there's actual snow on the ground or indeed in the forecast, instant 4x4 no worries about getting out of the car.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Sep 2022 16:33 #245055 by Scimike
It's ​​​​​a fact the Jimny has a certain something that makes it fun to drive. 
Tyres and driving style are the major factors in all things sideways. I find my Jimny and 88 SWB Land Rover very similar. Both exhibit a  nervous feel on rough tarmac, but for both it's suspension design limitations and wheelbase rather than lack of grip. Both are fantastic in snow, but my Jimny required snow rated tyres to remove the tendancy to "side Slip", again highlighting the tyre choice.
In both, on snow, I try to get most places in 2WD (and succeed), 4WD is reserved for odd "stuck" situation.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
23 Sep 2022 10:11 #245075 by stuartmc
Confirms what I've always thought my SZ5 auto is the best small city/country car around. In the city, park anywhere, all round visibility, sit above the crowd and just FUN. MY Gen 3 was good but Gen 4 is better.

2020 SZ5 Auto, 2019 Vitara GLX 1.4T AT AllGrip
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
23 Sep 2022 14:51 #245079 by Gadget
Yep, I've probably said it before, but the Jimny is fun because of its limitations. It's effectively a Citroen 2CV and 88" Series Landy merged together.

While there have been times I've thought it would be nice to have a bit more space, or a bit more power, or extra doors, all of those things would stop it being a Jimny. It'd be bigger, heavier, more expensive, more complex, less economical.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds