BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Anti-gravity battery

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Aug 2022 19:01 #244625 by Lambert
Anti-gravity battery was created by Lambert
Is anyone using a lithium starting battery like the American anti-gravity offering , other makes are available. I'm quite taken with the removal of 8kg ish of permanent weight by going away from lead acid. The packaging is also way smaller for more CCA 460 over 330 even if they overall capacity is less at 16Ah instead of 40Ah but I don't really need that as I don't tend to run the stereo without the engine and I'm not leaving the car unattended for more than 10 hours a day for it to drain down. I appreciate the relatively extortionate price difference but less permanent weight is less permanent weight. Unless I'm missing something?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2022 21:08 #244629 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Anti-gravity battery
Generally Lithium packs tend to be less tolerant of high temperatures, so whichever product you pick I would check the Jimny under bonnet temperature is within the product operating spec. I am assuming you want to fit it in place of the current lead acid?
Just something to consider 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2022 03:39 #244636 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Anti-gravity battery
Admittedly I am looking at a bike battery from anti-gravity because their 054 replacement is like 1200 CCA and 30Ah but that's excessive for a Jimny and it's also only about half the weight. I'll have a look at the recommended operation temperature and possibly run a thermocouple next to the existing battery and compare.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Aug 2022 08:39 #244643 by LesNewell
Replied by LesNewell on topic Anti-gravity battery
Lithium batteries don't like cold temperatures. It's really bad for them to charge below 0 degrees C, which could be a problem if you leave the car outside in the winter.

In my opinion lithium starter batteries are over priced. For a motorsport or aircraft application the weight saving could be worth it. For normal use there are cheaper ways of saving 8kg.

More
20 Aug 2022 09:46 #244645 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Anti-gravity battery
Interesting stuff, had a look at Anti-gravity batteries web site, never heard of them before.
I've used Lithium Ion / Poly batteries many years ago (power packs for model aircraft). They had an amazing weight to energy density which made them ldeal, but I do remember they took a lot of looking after to prevent fires or failure.
This may be why I have a lot of questions about retro fitting to a vehicle not designed for them.

Temperature is one already highlighted.
I assume these batteries have all the required BMS circuit inbuilt, it's essential for keeping them balanced in use and provide protection.
What about the Jimny alternator regulator, I notice Anti-gravity sell lithium compatible ones for bikes. Can the BMS cope with this or is it an issue / going to reduce pack life?

Charging method is critical on Lithium packs, so struggling to see how you can just shove 14v on them without some form of charge balancing and monitoring.

​​​​​​​Not trying to put you off, just some of the questions for which I would be seeking answers.
​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
20 Aug 2022 12:10 #244651 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Anti-gravity battery
I have been using a LiFePo4 as a starter battery for the Jimny now for 3 years. I got it directly from China so it as not so expensive. And I think it is very important: LiFePo4 and not LiPoly (even lighter but quite dangerous!)

So far everything works fine. I did not have any issues in cold weather, although in the last 3 years it was not colder than -10°C (just switch the light on for 20 sec and wait for 30 sec). And I did not have any issues in hot weather - there was plenty. It was not so easy to find a battery that has a BMS that allows more the 50-100 amps for discharging.

Because I use a refrigerator, I got a 40Ah battery which is more than required for starting.

Im motorbikes I have been using LiFePo4s for 5 years and they work great. I do not load them in the spring, do not disconnect them (I have older bikes without anti theft etc. so there is no constant power drain) and the bikes start perfectly. The only problem with the bikes is the fuel quality so last year I started to drain the fuel before the winter. Before installing a LiFePo4 I would check that the maximum voltage during charging is less than 14.8V at any time.

If external charging is required, make sure the charger does not have a program for desulfurization on, trickle charge, battery regeneration etc. because everything above 15V will kill the battery. The old, heavy, chargers are fine and of course any charger for LiFePo4. But I did not need to charge my LiFePo4s so far.

I got the LiFePo4 for the Jimny, because I had good experiences with motorbike battery and I needed a new battery and the price was „only“ double the price of the lead acid battery.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds