BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Seat belt alarm canceler plug for JB74

More
19 Jul 2022 23:39 #244159 by GreyJimny
Hi guys, 

My dog is setting off the seat belt alarm in the back seat. While we clip him into the seat belt on most trips, its not practical to do this for the short trip to the park and hence the alarm goes off when he moves around. 

Has anyone had luck with the blanking plugs on ebay? I can see ones with the right width (~21mm) and thickness (~2mm) but the hole in the jimny is half the size of that in their plug. I wouldn't have thought this mattered except the seller gave an example of half sized plugs not being compatible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2022 03:37 #244161 by Soeley
Is it not worth clipping the dog in for every journey for his own safety. Accidents can happen even on a 2 mile trip.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jul 2022 05:38 #244164 by Lambert
I have considered these things for when I'm hearding the sheep out of the field as once you get over 10kmh without the seatbelts it pitches a fit. The problem is that you become lazy or forgetful and start thinking it's only a mile down the road to the farm it's too much faff I'll be fine. And that's when if you are lucky the police pull you for not wearing or more likely the neighborhood teen on Snapchat thinking it doesn't apply to them either drives into you with the 200 hp John Deere and 20t slurry tanker. It's not worth the risk. It's also an offence to not have any animals suitably secure when traveling. Why not lower the back seat and get a dog cage if doggo is in there every day?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Jul 2022 06:17 - 20 Jul 2022 06:44 #244165 by GreyJimny
Ah, no.

When we travel further distances we put his chest restraint on and attach to the seat belt rather than his collar. Without the chest restraint the collar would damage his neck in even a minor accident.

With a chest harness connected to seat belt:
  • Rear impact - no benefit, dog hits rear seat 
  • Front impact - no benefit, dog hits front seat, possibly being rotated feet first by tension, breaking its legs. 
  • Near side impact - no benefit, dog impacts 'door'
  • Far side impact - no benefit, dog impacts 'door' due to narrowness of Jimny rear, again potentially being rotated by tension. 
  • Roll over - dog is prevented from flying around the cabin.  
So all in all not a lot of benefit for the effort of fitting a full chest harness and connecting to the seat, just to drive a few kms at 60km. 

Last edit: 20 Jul 2022 06:44 by GreyJimny.

More
20 Jul 2022 06:28 - 20 Jul 2022 06:31 #244166 by GreyJimny
Animals don't need to be restrained in Victoria unless in the outside tray. Thanks for the concern though. The key function of a tether is to prevent them wandering around the cabin, which isnt possible in a Jimny (except maybe chihuahuas).

Using a tether without a proper chest harness is worse than no tether. 

Cage? Not practical unless they make them large enough to put the kids in as well.

Note the dog isnt the only reason for needing this. Parcels set the alarm off too.

I wouldn't care if the alarm was a bit more 'FYI' than 'Something is wrong, divert your attention to the dashboard now!' The alarm is so loud its startling those who havent driven the car before.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2022 06:31 by GreyJimny.

More
20 Jul 2022 08:15 #244167 by 300bhpton

I have considered these things for when I'm hearding the sheep out of the field as once you get over 10kmh without the seatbelts it pitches a fit. The problem is that you become lazy or forgetful and start thinking it's only a mile down the road to the farm it's too much faff I'll be fine. And that's when if you are lucky the police pull you for not wearing or more likely the neighborhood teen on Snapchat thinking it doesn't apply to them either drives into you with the 200 hp John Deere and 20t slurry tanker. It's not worth the risk. It's also an offence to not have any animals suitably secure when traveling. Why not lower the back seat and get a dog cage if doggo is in there every day?

Sounds a little extreme. It's not as if you need an alarm or beep to put a seat belt on. And frankly, it is a recent thing in the UK. Cars from only a few years ago didn't have such nonsense on them.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jul 2022 08:54 #244168 by Lambert
Regardless of how extreme it might be considered, it is the law here that cars have a warning to remind you to wear a seatbelt and it's only the law because people can't be trusted to do it voluntarily without being nagged.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Jul 2022 11:11 #244172 by 300bhpton

Regardless of how extreme it might be considered, it is the law here that cars have a warning to remind you to wear a seatbelt and it's only the law because people can't be trusted to do it voluntarily without being nagged.
Don't suspect that is true at all. In the USA they have a real cultural issue with people not wearing seatbelts. But in the UK most people do. What it is more likely to be, is nonsense red tape from idiot EU people and EU Type Approval.

I also don't know the the exact regs surrounding it. But having manual control over especially the rear seats would be common sense really. Pretty sure other cars let you turn the warnings off. If you put a box or even a heavy bag on the seat it can activate it. And something like a Jimny that may well be used extensively not on a road where you may not need or want to wear seatbelts.

More
20 Jul 2022 11:13 #244173 by 300bhpton
From the .gov website.

Statistically seatbelt usage in the UK is not an issue.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds