BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

More
27 Jun 2022 11:55 - 27 Jun 2022 12:00 #243852 by Man of Kent
Newbie was created by Man of Kent
First of all a big thank you to Martin for sorting out my log-in problems, seems okay now.

I recently became a Jimny owner which will be used as a second car as I have recently retired, my wife needs my 2019 Ford Kuga ST Line for work every day, she needs to continue working to keep me in the manner to which I’ve become accustomed. But don’t tell her that!

Anyway, I’ve always fancied a Jimny so started looking on the web for one to buy in Germany where they are much cheaper compared to here in Belgium, but, the ones I was interested in were too far away, and sorting out export plates and insurance to bring it to Belgium was another concern.
Then, a few months ago I saw one for sale at a Honda dealer near Antwerp, it was a bit older than what I was looking for but had very low mileage and a full main dealer service history.

So I went over to take a look, armed with all the knowledge I’d gathered from this site on what to look out for on a car of this age.
I lifted the carpet in the boot first, it was like it had just come off the production line, as was the other usual places they rot, in fact I couldn’t believe how good it all was including under the bonnet and it hadn’t been valeted at all since the garage had taken it as part exchange.
It turned out that the car had been bought as a second car for a lady that lived local, it was a 2005 model with just 82,000 km on the clock, meaning she had averaged just 4,000 km a year over seventeen years!
It had also had a few options fitted by the supplying dealer including side-steps, the ABS plastic bull bar and a rear spoiler, not to mention an upgrade on the hifi system, better speakers and an Alpine amp/sub-woofer fitted under the driver’s seat, though it had retained the original factory fitted Clarion double-din unit.

I’m not sure if it was just a special edition for the Belgian market but it has a decal on the spare wheel cover that say’s ‘Vanity’, I have only ever seen two other’s with this decal, one was on a test car by a Belgian motoring magazine dated from 2005, the other is currently for sale on a German site, though this one was originally registered in 2005 in Belgium.

I have crawled underneath to check everything and most of it has been undersealed from new, and still looking good.
Now and then I have experienced the dreaded death wobble, but it only seems to occur after driving on cobbled or badly potholed roads and then disappears, it is mainly a very smooth and quiet ride, which may be due to the road-biased Michelin rubber all round, something I will change when the time comes.

All in all I am very pleased with my Jimny, it puts a smile on my face whenever I’m driving it. In fact the only problem so far was with the towbar electrics, which after investigation turned out to be simply a bad earth, so I ran a separate earth to the socket and now everything is Hunky-Dory!  

I have fitted a new double-din head unit with reversing camera and bluetooth Apple Carplay, I find Google maps far superior to my old Garmin, it also has DAB+ radio.

No doubt I will be picking brains as time goes by but, all in all, I am a happy bunny.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2022 12:00 by Man of Kent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2022 12:18 #243853 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Newbie
Hello and welcome, sounds like you found a very sound example there.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Jun 2022 14:02 #243855 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Newbie
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a good one there.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Jun 2022 10:13 - 28 Jun 2022 10:14 #243873 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Newbie
A perfect life style, retired, wife still going out to work and a tasty Jimny to while away those sunny days.

I went the double DIN Android route, tried Google Maps and didn’t much like the display whilst driving. I now use Here, much better display in my opinion and OSMand for the off-road trails, only because we can load the ‘Green Lanes’ in as a map overlay.

I did have a reversing camera, but changed it to a panoramic 4 camera 360 degree system, very nice and not expensive although took a bit of fitting. I also use Torque OBD to keep an eye on the engine.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 28 Jun 2022 10:14 by DrRobin.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds