BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roofrack or towbar rack?

More
22 Mar 2022 18:57 #242453 by treps
For the few occasions when I have to carry people and luggage I am looking at options for my 2020 Jimny.
Searches bring up £1k roofrack options. They look good but for my infrequent use are an overkill and I am concerned about the high weight. 
Towbar racks such as Thule, alone or with a box look practical but I have no experience of them. 
Luggage carried would be one or two suitcases from an airport and that is it. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Mar 2022 19:16 #242454 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Roofrack or towbar rack?
I have roof bars and I find them immensely useful but they do nothing good to my MPG. I have considered a roof box but they are even worse for fuel use. The idea of a basket out the back out of the airflow sounds good. Also I believe the vertical load on the towbar is 50kg compared with 30kg on the roof.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: treps

More
22 Mar 2022 21:49 - 22 Mar 2022 21:56 #242457 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Roofrack or towbar rack?
I have the Thule roof bars, they are the same as the Suzuki offering but about a third of the price if you shop around.  I also got an aluminium roof basket which is very light weight, that I can use with the roof bars.A good And versatile option in my opinion.

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Mar 2022 21:56 by Soeley.

More
22 Mar 2022 22:18 #242458 by Roger Fairclough
What about using a taxi?

Roger

More
23 Mar 2022 09:50 - 23 Mar 2022 09:51 #242461 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Roofrack or towbar rack?
It's fair to say all are solutions to your requirement, even the Taxi

A roof system can be fitted and left in place, in its simplest form (Thule Aero Bars or similar) its not adding much weight or drag.
However, in its simplest form, its awkward to attach cases and possible to damage the vehicle roof during attempts to balance the cases on two bars. For this reason a roof rack cage is better, you can just throw the cases on top and tie down. The down side is the rack cage is heavy and adds drag / wind noise and is not something you can quickly fit to the vehicle.

A towbar system such as the Thule EasyBase is easy to fit if you have a towbar, but the combined cost of the two items is expensive. The maximum noise weight limit on the tow bar will be dictated by the towbar system manufacturer/ Thule, but its typically in the region of 50 - 75KG for towing. The down side of these systems is you will forget its fitted and eventually reverse into something !
If you can remember its fitted I suspect this could be the best solution for the airport run.

A taxi ? - why not. Its a good idea if its infrequent use and they tend to be reliable. The down side is you need to make small talk to the driver and the journey will range from sedate to Death Race 2000.

I went for an adventure roof cargo system as I needed a space to throw wet camping equipment quickly onto the vehicle. Its perfect for my needs, but has added slight wind noise. I've not seen a noticeable increase in MPG but suspect one must exist simply as its added weight and drag.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 23 Mar 2022 09:51 by Scimike.

More
23 Mar 2022 12:11 #242463 by Roger Fairclough
Either treps has a tow bar or is contemplating having one fitted in which case another idea is to use a trailer. Once you have one the list of things you can do with it broaden so it's not just on the odd occasions you need to pick people up from the airport.
Taxi drivers, from personnel experience, are certainly better than yesterdays ex. racing drivers and as a point, Viv and I came back from Napton to Bromsgrove last Monday in a 7 series BMW auto which was wafting along the motorway at 75 mph (1500 rpm) at a responsible distance from the vehicles in front. All in all an easy drive. The driver told us that Redditch to Birmingham International Airport was £40 each way ( that's about 20 miles ).

Roger

More
24 Mar 2022 04:51 #242465 by treps
Replied by treps on topic Roofrack or towbar rack?
Thanks all for your replies. Very helpful. 
Yes, OEM towbar already fitted.  
I had not even contemplated a trailer. The additional uses are attractive. 
Taxi? Too sensible… I could also use my other cars but I want to drive the Jimny! 

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds