BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Painting fibreglass - Anyone have experience?

More
18 Mar 2022 14:49 #242379 by stimpy
Hi there folks,

My Jimny has Kap front wings and bonnet, the latter has had some of the gel coat come off and looks pretty rough now and I'm keen on sprucing it up. The rest of the truck is red in varying shades but I'd like to do the bonnet black or dark grey.

I've done a quick google and there seems to be sooooo many options with regards painting.... Baring in mind this is a mucky truck anyway I am not after perfection, just a tidy. One of the options was etch primer and cellulose? I've certainly got etch primer here if that is possible, then I could pop down to halfrauds on the weekend and pick a can of colour up...

What sayeth the experienced ones?..

Note: obviously I will sanding the top surface for a key etc...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2022 15:16 - 18 Mar 2022 15:17 #242380 by thieuster
Look for a yacht paint system. 99% of the current yachts are made from fibreglass or similar. Most yacht owners want a proper product for their sailing pride and joy.

Menno

Chronologically:
- 1959 Triumph TR3A
- 1970 Saab 96V4
- 1973 Saab 95V4
- 2001 Suzuki Jimny
- 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid 4x4
Gone:
- 1973 Porsche 914
- 1993 Suzuki Samurai
New:
- 1991 Peugeot 205 automatic with < 60K miles!
Last edit: 18 Mar 2022 15:17 by thieuster.

More
18 Mar 2022 17:38 - 18 Mar 2022 21:30 #242383 by Scimike
I have as an ex Reliant Scimitar owner and it's a royal pain in preparation to get it correct.
MIssing or cracks in gel coat you need to grind or feather it out back to the fibreglass, then lay fibreglass tissue over this and finish with filler back to level. I've seen some modern techniques use carbon fibre reinforced filler as the skim rather than the tissue, but not tried this myself.
Now do that for every crack and you start to see why preparation takes a long time.
Obviously you need to key the complete vehicle once the cracks are fixed, my preference to to sand all paint off back to gel coat.
The reason?
Etch primer can be a mixed blessing. It may / may not react with old paint and filler, you take your chance with this if you leave old paint on.
I have heard of use of a barrier primer to prevent this, but again no experience myself.
Cellulose is very good (in a bad way) of showing up repairs, it tends to sink in unless you have many filler primer layers, so I would use a 1K or 2K paint system in preference.
Re Halfords - don't go to them, find a local Automotive paint supplier and go and tell them what you want to do. I my experience they are very helpful and will supply all the products you need. 

Of course this may be over the top finish wise, but I can't be sure what finish you will be happy with. I've painted my Land Rover with a roller, 1K mixed for for the job, the finish looks like an acceptable respray and ideal for a vehicle that gets scratched etc. Just keyed the surface, no etch or primer at all, direct application of 1k with foam roller. It's been on years and still looks good - on a Land Rover !

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2022 21:30 by Scimike.

More
21 Mar 2022 10:29 #242426 by stimpy
Thanks for that folks, a lot to contemplate and not enough time!!

I wonder if a quick clean up and perhaps a wrap may be easier?...

Some of the gel coat has come off so assume I'll need to seal that somehow anyway... Hmmm...

Yes, I've heard of various sealers too but not used them...

Shall have a think... A lot more important stuff to do the truck first anyway...

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds