BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Newbie, any advice welcome

More
16 Mar 2022 19:59 #242354 by Man of Kent
Hi everyone, I am looking to buy a second-hand petrol Jimny in Germany and exporting it to my home in Belgium, I intend to use it as just a run-about as  I am retiring at the end of this year.
Any advice on what to check for mechanically and bodywork etc.
Model year will be between 2006/10 as that would be my price range, I would prefer a petrol but there are a few diesels on the market which I believe use a Renault 1.5 non-turbo lump.
Is the auto-box reliable?

Any advice gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2022 21:28 #242355 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Newbie, any advice welcome
Rust seems to be the main problem. There are various rust spots, just behind the headlamps, wheel arches and boot floor seem to be the main places but also near the body mounts is another favourite place.

Then there is the so called death wobble, at around 50mph/80km/h, this is often kingpin bearings or bushes, usually easy to fix, see the wiki.

My understanding is that the engine/gearbox is as reliable as any other model and there are plenty on here with automatics and don’t report any specific problems.

Check the four wheel drive including low range works correctly, usually it’s a switch or a vacuum hub/line which is at fault, but best to find out before rather than after.

The crankshaft drive belt pulley seems to be a weak component, again easy enough to change.

Summary, rust seems to be the main problem, a little surface rust on the chassis is normal, but it’s the body to look for. Again fixable, but try to find one which doesn’t need welding after buying.

Hope that helps.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
17 Mar 2022 09:06 #242359 by Man of Kent
Duly noted, it’s a pity I can’t buy one in the UK as they are much cheaper, but it’s rare to find a LHD one in the UK anyway, apart from that importing one now since Brexit will be a nightmare!
In Belgium and Holland they are expensive 2nd hand so that’s why I am looking in Germany, hope to go and view a few in the coming weeks.

More
17 Mar 2022 13:18 #242363 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Newbie, any advice welcome
Robin has everything covered, so just to say Hi and welcome, hope you find a nice one with no ROT (rust is the big number 1 issue)..
Try to get a test drive in an Auto / Manual / Petrol  / Diesel before you decide which is for you, they will all have a different character set, everyone has their favourite.
They are not "car like" in performance or road manners. So unless you have experienced a solid axle 4x4 in the past be prepared to be ecstatic or horrified, they are a bit like Marmite!
Have fun 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
25 Mar 2022 06:58 #242491 by JAGtheman
I live south of München and work in the UK. Last year I bought a 2008 model in the UK and it has been a fantastic adventure. However looking at similar vehicles in Bavaria it is clear that they are real workhorses there. Common for the Hausmeister to fit a small snowplough and use it for winter service. The closer you get to the Alps the more Jimnys you will find, but again, these are used and used hard. The lower prices are deceptive, as Germans love their cars almost at a fanatical level, and they are very price savvy, so a bargain will be offered because of some underlying reason. Maybe you will find one, they do exist, but you need to be extra careful and certainly consider not only the vehicle itsself but how it has been used. Take serious note of the rust issue pointed out above, although vehicles in the EU did have a higher level of rust protection applied than in the UK. Body mounts top of list (dont just look, poke it with a screwdriver), behind the headlights, seat belt anchor points, rear boot where the jack is stored, brake drums (if they are rusted like crazy this is a good sign the rest of the underside is similar imo).

At 66 yo, and having owned many 4x4 vehicles of all shapes and sizes (I am an ex South African Land Surveyor), I can honestly say this is the best most fun 4x4 I have ever owned! Good luck in your search, the reward is well worth the effort!

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds