BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Engine sound

More
13 Feb 2022 20:34 #241842 by Conev
Engine sound was created by Conev
Does anyone know what this weird sound is coming from and how to fix it ? It seems to be more quiet when ac is on but not completely quiet.. It started today when i was on a mountain road trip ..M13a engine manual 2002

2002 Manual M13A jimny RHD
2" Black Raptor Lift kit
Ironman 4x4 steering Damper
8" steel wheels 215/75/15 AT100
Tema 4x4 Snorkel
Wing
Window deflectors
Rear seats removed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2022 20:39 #241843 by Conev
Replied by Conev on topic Engine sound
It comes from the front of the engine near the outside belts of the ac 

2" Black Raptor Lift kit
Tema 4x4 Snorkel
Wing
Window deflectors
Rear seats removed
Attachments:

FullSizeRe....MOV.mp3

More
14 Feb 2022 09:58 #241845 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Engine sound
Good grief, that’s a good (in a bad way) sound!
No idea as to the source, but a mechanics stethoscope or screw drive placed (carefully) around the engine is a very good way to locate the source.
Alternatively disconnect the AC and Alternator belts and have a feel of any rotating parts. Start and see if noise has gone, if it has it’s going to be something driven by the belts, ie  alternator, water pump / cooling fan / AC unit  / idler bearing

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Feb 2022 10:14 #241846 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Engine sound
Agreed that is not as happy noise.if it's less with the air-conditioning off it's kinda suggesting that magnetic drive clutch on the AC is dying but it's like said above, you need to eliminate everything in turn.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Feb 2022 15:52 #241848 by Conev
Replied by Conev on topic Engine sound
I just found that is the ac compressor and its rattling when rotating.. do i have to change all the ac compressor unit or just the rotator thing for the belt ? 

2" Black Raptor Lift kit
Tema 4x4 Snorkel
Wing
Window deflectors
Rear seats removed

More
14 Feb 2022 18:31 - 14 Feb 2022 18:33 #241853 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Engine sound
The AC pulley (rotor?) is made up of two parts,  The outer on which the belt runs and a second part connected to the compressor shaft. Between the two is an electric clutch that connects the two.
AC off then only the outer is rotating with the belt.
AC on then the outer and inner are coupled together, hence the AC shaft turns.

So it you rotate with the AC off, checking that the inner part / shaft is not turning, does it still rattle?

If yes then it sounds like the problem is the electric clutch, aka the pulley. You can take it apart to check for rust or damage. I've seen a few pictures on here of someone doing this, but can't find at the moment.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 14 Feb 2022 18:33 by Scimike.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Feb 2022 17:36 #241863 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Engine sound
Think that might have been me Mike. Ive had the clutch assembly apart and cleaned it up. Its an electromagnet with a return spring. On mine the clutch plate rusted solid onto the wheel, making the compressor engaged all the time.

As mike says, check the clutch mechanism operates properly. With a/c switch off it should be stationary in the centre, with it on it should come in/out as required by the a/c demand. If its stuck on all the time then remove the plate you can see by undoing the allen head bolt in the centre of it and prising it off. clean all up and test fit again. Shims may be needed to get clearance to freewheel properly.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
21 Feb 2022 20:58 #241957 by Stainless
Replied by Stainless on topic Engine sound
A few years ago I heard a loud noise from our drive, it sounded just like a sweet tin full of pebbles being shaken violently. A quick investigation revealed the wife returning home in her 2006 Jimny. “Darling the car is making a bit of a noise, can you look at it please ?”  She uttered. Visions of main bearings, big ends, small ends and pistons work whirled around my head.  It turned out to be the front crankshaft damper/pulley dividing into two parts, the rubber bonding having given up. Luckily a simple job fitting a new one on the car, and I cut a small area of the viscous fan shield away, to make the job easier in the future.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds