BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Windscreen replacement

More
13 Jan 2022 23:55 #241108 by Trakito1
So today my windscreen was hit by a stone that flicked off an oncoming truck’s tyre @40mph. There is a crack the same size as a 50p coin. I asked Autoglass to use a genuine part from Suzuki but they said they needed to contact my insurer (LV insurance) if they would agree to it with the stated £95 excess or charge me more. Has anyone had any experience like this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jan 2022 04:59 #241112 by Lambert
I had the same over new year. Cost me the excess and vat. When booking it with autoglass I was told it would be a genuine screen but when it was fitted it needed an additional trim piece as the screen doesn't run right to the edge of the frame. It could be a design change or more likely not actually a genuine one either way I have a working windscreen so I'm not going to get too upset. However I might not use autoglass again.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Jan 2022 09:32 #241116 by Trakito1
Thanks for sharing that info. I will see what they approve and actually fit as I apparently need to take it into a fitting centre for ADAS calibration. Still waiting for their call.

More
14 Jan 2022 17:13 #241122 by Bob1050
I wouldn't get overexcited as to whether Autoglass fit a genuine 'Suzuki' windscreen or not. ASAIK - At the end of the day Suzuki don't manufacture windscreens - they simply source them from the limited number of windscreen manufacturers producing them to the legislative requirements. I have noted that these Jimny windscreens do seem to chip rather easily and I've already had one resin repair undertaken.

Last time I had an Autoglass replacement windscreen fitted, the technician also brought the associated trim parts and did a first-rate job in fitting the parts. It was so good a job that you couldn't see that the screen, seal or trim had been replaced

Chipped and cracked windscreens seem to be becoming evermore common as manufacturers tell us they are saving the planet, reducing weight/costs/fuel consumption. As someone in the trade described it to me - they have very cleverly moved windscreens into the 'consumables' sector and created another profitable income stream. Funny how none of my older cars ever suffered from chipped or cracked windscreens, even when I was driving over 20,000 miles per year?.

More
14 Jan 2022 17:28 - 14 Jan 2022 17:30 #241123 by Scimike
That's a very good point. It's very likely that any replacement screen for the G4 is from the same Suzuki supplier(s) , one in a Suzuki box at £££ or in a plain box for £. People often quote higher standards for the OEM box, but the truth is the production and quality facility is the same right up to packaging.
Even happens in flour mills!
Homepride, Asda, local store etc, all the same stuff - I've worked on the packing plants so seen it with my own eyes.
​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 14 Jan 2022 17:30 by Scimike.

More
14 Jan 2022 20:34 #241127 by lightning
My advice is, take it to a Suzuki dealer and get the glass ordered from Suzuki.

The insurance will still pay, but you'll have to pay a higher excess.
ln my opinion it's worth the extra.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Jan 2022 07:01 #241141 by Lambert
The only other thing I have noticed with my new screen and trim piece is a minor increase in wind noise or rather a change in pitch. Now at speeds over 50 I not only have the drone from my roof bars but there's a definite whistle. I'm half tempted to look at smoothing the profile of the new trim piece with some sealant to see if it quietens it down. Or I might try to ignore it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Jan 2022 12:22 #241163 by Bill Portland
I had my screen replaced a few months after getting the car. Autoglass replaced it with a genuine Suzuki branded one, it's still got the "only to be removed by the user" sticker on it. Back then it took a few days for Autoglass to learn how to set up the cameras etc but I guess they've had a bit more practice since then. I've a tiny chip in the passenger side now which hasn't spread in over a year so I'm expecting it won't be an Mot issue when it's due in April

Sent from my Power Armor 13 using Tapatalk

More
15 Jan 2022 19:22 #241174 by Trakito1
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and advice. I’m still waiting for autoglass to get back to me after our initial conversation about my preference for the original Suzuki windscreen. Their billing department apparently has to contact LVE and confirm allowed costs, and consequently the excess I have to pay. Bill, did your excess increase when you opted for the Suzuki replacement?
Autoglass reassured me that the only distinguishing difference between the original and the ‘standard’ replacement was a Suzuki branding on the windscreen. 
I hope to hear from them next week. 

More
15 Jan 2022 21:28 #241175 by lightning
They always say that.

ln some cases it might be true, but it wasn't the case on my Renault van where (unknown to me) the original screen was solar reflective glass.

After the new screen was fitted the van was much hotter inside when the sun was out.

More
22 Feb 2022 21:39 #241989 by Trakito1
Update:
Today my windscreen was replaced by Autoglass Guildford. My insurer LV agreed to pay for an original from Suzuki. My excess was £95. It took a few weeks to get approved and original part ordered. ADAS recalibrated at the Autoglass workshop. Happy days, and hopefully no more flying stone encounters!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds