BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Diesel engine upgrade

More
14 Dec 2021 21:04 #240651 by Martinm
Hi 
I have a 2006 Jimny Auto. I am wondering what would be the best Diesel to put in it and would anyone have a ball park figure.
Since purchase I have carried out a few upgrades ie, side steps, bullbars, 50mm wheel spacers, suspension up lift and a snorkel.
Would be grateful for any thoughts love my Jimny so much fun almost forgot the steering damper no wobble at 40 mph.
Regards to all and happy Xmas. Be safe,
ps and new breaks and discs all round 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2021 00:08 #240654 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Diesel engine upgrade
Diesel engine swaps are talked about regularly and finished rarely. I don't know anyone who has done one and then continued using the vehicle day to day. Most are either sold as unfinished projects, sold shortly after completion or used infrequently for off-roading.
Talking about the older mechanical pump engines is most popular, such as the Isuzu 1.7td found in 1990s Vauxhalls or the Peugeot 1.9XUD. Alternatively the VW 1.9PD is an attractive proposition. Some even like the idea of very low powered diesel engines like the Isuzu 1.3 and Peugeot 1.5tud. One bloke actually fitted a 30hp Kubota engine!
Once you've chosen the engine you need to consider what gearbox you are going to use. It needs to be longitudinal (rwd) arrangement and not too big. The Peugeot XUD engine can be mated to the gearbox from an LDV Pilot. A chap on here was making kits to fit the Isuzu engines to the Jimny gearbox a few years ago. I don't know if he's still about though.
That's just the start of it really. There's lots more to consider such as engine mounts, sump, propshafts, front suspension, gear ratios, intercooler placement, cooling, power steering, getting the dash to talk to it all, upgrading the driveline to handle the extra torque etc. etc.
Ball park figure to pay someone else to do it, I'd say £5k minimum for something that's actually driveable.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Dec 2021 05:02 #240655 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Diesel engine upgrade
As Busta says, it's going to be a lot of work at which point I would suggest looking at something like a Honda K series. Yes it's petrol but at 2 litres you will have more than enough torque and because its a popular swap the support is out there in terms of adapter for a suitable gearbox and sump repositioning, there's no end of readily available stand alone ecu options and tuning is easy enough. Diesel has a place but it is powering heavy things, a Jimny is light and doesn't need vast amounts of torque at 1300 rpm.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2021 10:50 #240657 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Diesel engine upgrade
I think it would probably be down to fuel consumption. Having a car that can't exceed 35mpg on a regular basis isn't too clever when go juice is 1.40 + a litre.

Would the Renault K9K be an easy fit due to the fact that it was fitted to some Jimnys? I suppose you'd find the longnitudinal/transverse layout being a problem.

More
15 Dec 2021 16:09 #240664 by Busta
Then you must factor in the cost of the conversion. At most you will save 5p/mile, so you're looking at 100,000 to break even on the cost of a £5k conversion.

More
16 Dec 2021 10:02 #240676 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Diesel engine upgrade
If it is running cost and you want to keep the vehicle how about an LPG kit?
Currently 50% less than petrol and you can expect a 10 - 14% decrease in your current Mpg running on LPG, you can do the maths and see if it pays.
I ran LPG on my Scimitar V6 (everyday run around) and it payed for itself within 2 years. That said I fitted and designed my own manifold system so the "install cost" was low.
May be worth investigating?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
16 Dec 2021 15:00 #240679 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Diesel engine upgrade

If it is running cost and you want to keep the vehicle how about an LPG kit?
Currently 50% less than petrol and you can expect a 10 - 14% decrease in your current Mpg running on LPG, you can do the maths and see if it pays.
I ran LPG on my Scimitar V6 (everyday run around) and it payed for itself within 2 years. That said I fitted and designed my own manifold system so the "install cost" was low.
May be worth investigating?

LPG doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was, in fact I can't remember seeing it at any of the filling stations I visit, but I did find this website which shows where they all are:

www.mylpg.eu/stations/united-kingdom/

It looks like LPG is going to be a bit like electric cars, you are going to need to plan a little more as to where you can fill up.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Dec 2021 17:20 #240680 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Diesel engine upgrade
You are correct. it's never been popular, but that's the saving grace from a "tax" point of view. It's following is so low its generally been ignored.
BP stations tend to be the only ones that may have LPG, after that it's usually a strange place down a side street. I actually never found it to be problem, but as you said it took planning. For the most part running around local was easy, I knew all the filling locations and that was when the vehicle returned its worst MPG. So local running paid for the installation, not long journeys.
I filled up once at a Calor bottle filling refinery, my Scimitar connect to a massive refinery filling up, wish I had taken a photo!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
16 Dec 2021 17:27 #240681 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Diesel engine upgrade
One of the places on the map round here that sells LPG is Morrisons, if they sell it, then all Morrisons will probably sell it.

You can get your sprouts at the same time, apparently [although that is Mrs DrRobin's department].

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
18 Dec 2021 13:12 - 18 Dec 2021 13:20 #240709 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Diesel engine upgrade
www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Die...DiS)_Jimny_specifics

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/LPG_fuel_supply_system

Conclusion: Don't do diesel. Maaybe do LPG.

I had a factory diesel Jimny for 4 years / 60 000 km and swapped it for a petrol Jimny.
Any mongrel car is a car from an evil father and a worse mother (local saying), even factory mongrels.

I seriously considered installing LPG in my petrol Jimny but gave up mainly because of cargo space considerations. Also because of safety (rear ending) risks and engine longevity risks.
That saying, my family member has a 15 year old Toyota Corolla 9 on LPG with 150 000 km on the clock and still going super strong with lots of joy.

An old saying from someone:
"Petrol is for driving, diesel is for plowing, and gas is for cooking".
Last edit: 18 Dec 2021 13:20 by Bosanek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
18 Dec 2021 17:48 #240710 by Busta

An old saying from someone:
"Petrol is for driving, diesel is for plowing, and gas is for cooking".
Great saying! I completely agree. For a Jimny a more powerful petrol engine is a much more attractive proposition than any diesel one.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds