BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Puncture susceptibility

More
15 Aug 2021 21:52 #237580 by Micheal
Hello all. We got our G4 SZ4 because we live 1.5miles up a forestry road. It's on standard wheels/tyres. No mods except underseal. This is the machine's natural environment but it suffers from a lot of punctures, three in the last week.
I've been driving that track in standard non 4WD cars for 25 years and never had a puncture!
Is there something delicate about the Jimny tyres or is this just bad luck?
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimnyz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2021 03:45 #237581 by Jimnyz
Replied by Jimnyz on topic Puncture susceptibility
The standard Bridgestone are light construction and wouldn't offer as much resistance to punctures as AT or MT tyres. I've probably travelled around 100,000 kms on these tyres over my last 3 Jimnys but so far have never had a puncture, luckily. I don't do a lot of gravel road driving, but always air the tyres down to around 20psi if I'm going for a long drive off road. I think having a lower pressure in them might help resist punctures.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Aug 2021 05:53 #237582 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Puncture susceptibility
Just to add to the above, many people have found that the pressure in their tyres as supplied is way way above the stated 26psi in the hand book. It is also seemingly standard practice for tyre repair shops to inflate tyres to well into the 30s as that's what most modern cars are on. I run my Bridgestone ditchfinders as a rule at 25psi as much below that sets the tpms off and much higher makes the car feel skittish. On my last Jimny the standard pressure was 23 front and 26 rear and that was a good compromise but for some reason the essentially same vehicle but with tpms needs higher pressure. This does not wind me up, honestly. Jimny are off road vehicles and as such require different tyre pressure on different terrain.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Aug 2021 06:53 #237584 by Micheal
Replied by Micheal on topic Puncture susceptibility
OK thanks I'll try lower pressures in future.and look into the alternative tyres suggested for when the current ones expire. Would the lower pressures significantly affect fuel consumption though? The present cumulative fuel consumption is about 45mpg.

More
16 Aug 2021 07:35 #237586 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Puncture susceptibility
What is causing the punctures?

More
16 Aug 2021 08:12 - 16 Aug 2021 08:13 #237587 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Puncture susceptibility
Never had a puncture on our SZ5 but l would recommend some more suitable tyres for the roads you are driving on, as already suggested above.

Also on a different subject you are doing well to average 45mpg, that's really good, we don't drive ours fast and average around 42mpg

Although that does include some motorway driving at 65mph
Last edit: 16 Aug 2021 08:13 by lightning.

More
16 Aug 2021 08:19 #237589 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Puncture susceptibility
45mpg! That is very high. You must drive quite slowly, not knocking you at all, but that is way above average for the vehicle.

Lower pressures and/or different tyres are likely to impact mpg.

What is the exact cause of the punctures? This will tell you a lot about if different tyres would work better or not.

More
16 Aug 2021 09:11 #237591 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Puncture susceptibility
It's an off-road car, but the stock tyres aren't designed for off-road use. As the "highway terrain" name suggests, they're heavily road-biased, with the same kind of build you'd find on a family hatchback.

Even mild A/T tyres are likely to completely eliminate the problem you're having.

More
16 Aug 2021 13:20 #237595 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Puncture susceptibility

Hello all. We got our G4 SZ4 because we live 1.5miles up a forestry road. It's on standard wheels/tyres. No mods except underseal. This is the machine's natural environment but it suffers from a lot of punctures, three in the last week.
I've been driving that track in standard non 4WD cars for 25 years and never had a puncture!
Is there something delicate about the Jimny tyres or is this just bad luck?
Cheers
Even with standard highway terrain tyres you shouldn’t get that many punctures.  Do you know what is causing them, has the garage found anything in your tyre?  If there is nothing in the tyre, perhaps it is the rims or valves, is it always the same tyre or across all four?. Do you have TPMS, perhaps this is leaking?

I ran around for 18 months on Bridgestone H/T no problem at all.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Aug 2021 20:17 #237613 by Micheal
Replied by Micheal on topic Puncture susceptibility
Thanks for all your helpful replies. My wife has been driving it (hence the economy!) but I understand it was sharp stones piercing the sidewalls. I think the rims and valves are OK. What I did notice was the tyre fitters had inflated the repaired tyre well above the recommended pressure last time it was in there. I do find it odd however that I can drive up and down that forest road in an old Golf and Kia Picanto with ordinary road tyres and never get a puncture yet the Jimny attracts them like a magnet. No sexist comments now....!

More
16 Aug 2021 20:26 #237615 by Roger Fairclough
45 mpg is seriously good. I manage 42 and feel pretty smug about it.

Sidewall damage is normally a death sentence. A tyre fitter would legally scrap it.

Roger

More
16 Aug 2021 21:51 #237618 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Puncture susceptibility

Thanks for all your helpful replies. My wife has been driving it (hence the economy!) but I understand it was sharp stones piercing the sidewalls. I think the rims and valves are OK. What I did notice was the tyre fitters had inflated the repaired tyre well above the recommended pressure last time it was in there. I do find it odd however that I can drive up and down that forest road in an old Golf and Kia Picanto with ordinary road tyres and never get a puncture yet the Jimny attracts them like a magnet. No sexist comments now....!
Over inflation won’t help and could make the tyres more susceptible to punctures.  If it is side wall damage, remember the Jimny tyres are relatively narrow (205x70) and if the gravel is deep or rutted then the Jimny tyres could be sinking further in to the gravel then your Golf or Piconto and make side wall damage more likely.

if that is the case, 215 tyres with stronger side walls might be the answer?

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds