BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Supercharger for Gen 4's

More
08 Jul 2021 15:53 #236533 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's

If I happened to have the chance of vidoeing/photographing and interviewing the owner of a UK supercharged Gen4, what specific points/questions would you like me to ask. 

I know what a supercharger is but my knowledge ends there and I would want to make it something that people want to see.

Give me a list.... 

1. What kit and type of supercharger is it?
1a. What was included in the kit, intercooler/charge cooler, cold air intake, etc
1b. Who supplied it/where can others buy it?
2. What boost are they running?
3. Are they running on high octane fuel, i.e. superunleaded?
4. Did they install themselves?
5. Who/how was the ECU mapped?
6. What sort of MPG are they getting (OBC and/or real world calculated)?
7. How is the throttle response?
8. Have they used it off road, if so how did they get on?
9. Any negatives or things they don't like about it?
10. What sort of noise does the blower make, is it loud?
11. How do the factory standard brakes cope with the extra power?
12. Where do they feel the biggest gains are? e.g. part throttle or wide open throttle. Low/mid range punch or top end power?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK
The topic has been locked.
More
08 Jul 2021 16:21 - 08 Jul 2021 21:05 #236534 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
l think the benefit of a supercharger (over turbocharged) is the more immediate pickup and low RPM power.
So l would expect to see the Jimny feeling much more lively.
Joking aside, l am genuinely interested as to how it will handle the considerable extra power from
the supercharger, particularly under conditions of reduced grip on the road, being a lightweight effectively RWD live axle vehicle with fairly narrow high profile tyres.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2021 21:05 by lightning.
More
08 Jul 2021 16:44 #236537 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
I'd be interested in seeing a before and after dynograph.
More
27 Jul 2021 19:10 - 27 Jul 2021 19:16 #237050 by lookonimages

And dyno test
Last edit: 27 Jul 2021 19:16 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta
More
27 Jul 2021 21:00 #237054 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Supercharger for Gen 4's

Interesting. Not a lot gained at the bottom end, but the supercharger keeps the torque rising where the standard engine plateaus at 3,500rpm, leading to a big difference at the red line. This will really change how the engine feels above 3,500rpm. Worthwhile for people that are finding the engine a bit flat at higher RPM.
Attachments:
More
27 Jul 2021 21:02 #237056 by lightning
l am not sure l've ever been past 3,500rpm on ours!
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jul 2021 04:34 #237067 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Supercharger for Gen 4's
Be careful with that, it's how you get carbon buildup. These little short throw motors need high revs to work efficiently. The upper shift point on Temeraire is 6k.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
28 Jul 2021 08:01 #237069 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
How have they got an extra 50 horses without remapping? I wonder how long the engine/transmission will last compared to standard?
More
28 Jul 2021 08:15 #237071 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Supercharger for Gen 4's

l am not sure l've ever been past 3,500rpm on ours!

They you can have the easiest power upgrade ever. Simply use the full potential of the standard engine and you will gain 50% more power!
More
28 Jul 2021 08:22 #237072 by 300bhpton

Interesting. Not a lot gained at the bottom end, but the supercharger keeps the torque rising where the standard engine plateaus at 3,500rpm, leading to a big difference at the red line. This will really change how the engine feels above 3,500rpm. Worthwhile for people that are finding the engine a bit flat at higher RPM.

Supercharger type will dictate how the power curve looks. A centrifugal blower is a big snail shell design and looks like a large turbocharger, only being belt driven. These are 100% rpm dependant, so they will make less boost when being spun slowly and in theory will continue to make more and more power the faster you spin it. Offering bigger gains at high rpm.

Positive Displacement (PD) blowers such as Roots or Twin Screws have the ability to make full boost just off idle and will give the low end fat torque curve. But roots blowers are less efficient as a rule, so will make less Peak power. And often drop a bit of boost at high rpm. Twin screws are more efficient and tend to hand on better at high rpm. But will still be behind a good centrifugal blower on Peak power.

Personally I'm of the mind that a PD blower would suit something like the Jimny more so. But I'm not sure there is anyone looking at building a kit using these.
More
28 Jul 2021 08:23 #237073 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Supercharger for Gen 4's
Soeley, my Taiwanese isn't the best but I didn't hear them say they hadn't re-mapped it? I'd be very suprised if HKS were cutting any corners.

More
28 Jul 2021 08:48 #237074 by Roger Fairclough
Carbon build up! Maybe 50 years ago but with modern oils and fuel?

Roger.
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds