BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Gen.4 instrument panel lights.

More
13 Apr 2021 09:29 #234431 by Roger Fairclough
I don't drive at night much these days and Covid hasn't helped, but I noticed a week or so back that the panel lights are to bright in the dark. I went through the handbook and tried adjusting the lumens but to no avail. It's either to bright or to dim.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2021 11:17 #234436 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Gen.4 instrument panel lights.
Turn the right hand knobbie in the instrument panel.

More
13 Apr 2021 19:49 #234453 by Roger Fairclough
I think saxj has sent a voodoo message over the ether because they are now working correctly. Very odd.

Cheer saxj.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
14 Apr 2021 11:12 #234461 by lightning
Also if you set the headlights to "Auto" the instrument lights and media display are dimmed at night.

More
14 Apr 2021 14:59 #234467 by saxj

Roger Fairclough wrote: I think saxj has sent a voodoo message over the ether because they are now working correctly. Very odd.

Cheer saxj.

Roger

We don't get DRL's here, so I drive with my headlights on all the time, so I have to manually switch the dash to dim at night. I seem to recall there was some gremlin when I first got mine, but can't recall what it was, maybe I have just learned to live with it.

More
14 Apr 2021 15:01 #234468 by saxj

lightning wrote: Also if you set the headlights to "Auto" the instrument lights and media display are dimmed at night.

The dimmer has two settings, so you can adjust the brightness with lights on and lights off.

More
14 Apr 2021 20:05 - 14 Apr 2021 20:59 #234474 by lookonimages
Saxj

The sensor on dash consist of two seperate sensors in one. It seems
One managing headlights and one the dash lights.

I will post a pic tomorrow of what i did

I put tape partly over the sensor. You will need to play with where you need to put tape.

So my car is right hand drive...

So when lights are set to auto:
1 Driving lights will always be on because you cover the section on main lights. Car see ooo it is dark. Lights are always on.

2 The dashlight side of sensor is not covered and car see aaahhh the sun is shining. Keep dask lights bright. In the night the sensor see it is dark and auto dim it accordingly the darker it gets.

So I basically deactivated headlight sensor for daily drive.

Crazy. Not at all !! It is actually working. Really nice.

The part i like is when having lights set to auto i dont have to switch lights on and off all the time. Just put on auto, i have "daylight" driving lights (headlights) and dash lights is nice an bright

In the righthand drive the split light sensor is on left side. Dont know lefthand drive and if switched also changed sides

When you driving under bridge the dashlights dim for moment that sensor see shade (darkness) but pop back right back after 2 seconds.

NOTE
When testing.
Park vehicle outside garage in sun but close enough to see vehicle lights inside garage lighting up garage if they on.
Then set lights to Auto.
Start wit your hand completely cover sensor and you will see effect. Main lights on but dash will be dimmed.

The start playing with tape to determine where to put it so lights is on but dash lights is staying bright take a little time. I started with a little sqaure cardboard till i found the position where driving lights are on, and dash light brite in daylights.

Also remember there is delay on sensors so take your your time. The moment you put tape over section of sensors then it take 1-3 ,seconds for dashlights to adjust. This is not instantanious.

Red area is illustrating insulation tape you use to wrap wires. Work best for me as tape nice and sticky in final position

So my jimny alway on auto, i dont have to switch main lights on off. It is a set and forget setting. Moment i start the headlight see darkness under sensor, and main light are on. Dash light sensor see sunshine and never dim it during the day. (Unless you driving into under cover parking are then dash lights will start to dim)

I think you have to play to find out what area to cover and what to leave open.
My findings was more or less 3/4 covered and 1/4 open. That was my sweet spot.

Possible you might need to use other combinations to find your spot managing main lights ( must be covered,) and section that must be kept open so during daylight the dash lights do not dim

Work for me perfectly.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2021 20:59 by lookonimages.

More
15 Apr 2021 05:45 #234478 by mlines
Just a heads up, you need to specify the country you are in when referring to the dash sunlight sensor and dashboard lighting settings as it does differ from county to country.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
15 Apr 2021 08:51 #234482 by saxj
lookonimages and I are both in South Africa. The Phillipines appear to have similarly specced vehicles to us.

More
15 Apr 2021 11:54 - 15 Apr 2021 12:24 #234485 by lookonimages
Here it is. The gap is very small that is left open for dash lights to stay bright.
Like i say. Lights is on AUTO.
Driving lights always on. And dask lights not dimmed.

Last edit: 15 Apr 2021 12:24 by lookonimages.

More
15 Apr 2021 12:03 - 15 Apr 2021 12:23 #234486 by lookonimages
Here is photo to show.
Lights Auto.
In full sunshine.
You will see headlights on. See back of garage.
The dash lights and radio not dimmed.

Then another pic where I completely block light sensor.
Lights Auto.
In full sunshine.
You will see headlights on. See back of garage.
The dash lights and radio now dimmed.
This will normally happen when sun goes down and it become dark. The dash lights dimmed.

Please note once i remove hand over sensor it takes a second or two before radio and dash lights to become bright again. Please take this into consideration when you play with closing off the light sensor.

It really is very small section that need to be kept open.
I previously said 1/4 open. But it is really 1 - 2mm that need to be open

----

Brightness of display, radio.
Lights on auto
Part of sensor not close.
Nice and bright.

Sensor completely blocked.
Then only radio dim.

What a pleasure to drive with headlights on during day (simulating daylight drivers lights) and you still can see dash and radio clearly in sunshine.

Hope it help a fellow south african where we do not have daylight driving lights as part of package.

At night time where you dont want the auto, then put it on "ON" and you in full control.

I drive 95% in daylight. And it is working perfect for my requirements.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2021 12:23 by lookonimages.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Apr 2021 18:57 - 15 Apr 2021 19:22 #234492 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Re:Gen.4 instrument panel lights.

mlines wrote: Just a heads up, you need to specify the country you are in when referring to the dash sunlight sensor and dashboard lighting settings as it does differ from county to country.

Thanks for mentioning that Martin!
Some of the South African cars may be Australian spec due to shipments dirverted there by Covid bans in Aus.
My Jimny had the sensor on the drivers side of the dash, however a faulty circuit board after the sensor killed the dash lighting in daylight (Service Report:  "only Fault Code was in BCM BC150A, Sunload Sensor High, Sensor is fine" this was given to Martin). 

I now have a C30 and the dashboard lighting problem has followed me!  This time dash/speedo/instrument lighting is just not available in daytime (the manual), and thats down to Bosch, who do some of the Volvo software.  I have a dealer in Wales checking to see if this can be changed in RHD cars. 
cheers, all, George
Last edit: 15 Apr 2021 19:22 by GeorgeC.

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds