BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 ignition cable connection- where?

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2021 15:53 - 31 Mar 2021 15:54 #234142 by Chalky the Jimny
Gen 4 ignition cable connection- where? was created by Chalky the Jimny
Hi all. 

I'm busy installing a compressor in the engine bay of my gen 4 - I need to connect the rocker switch to the ignition somehow/somewhere - so that the compressor can only run when the ignition is switched to on. 

Any recommendations? 

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Mar 2021 15:54 by Chalky the Jimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2021 19:55 - 31 Mar 2021 20:26 #234152 by Scimike
Hi,
I assume the switch is going to power a relay, the relay connected to the battery to power the compressor. I only say this to ensure the switch is a low current circuit.
If so is the fuse box above the accelerator pedal as in the G3?
All you need is a piggy back fuse holder and place it in a circuit that powers off / on with ignition such as the heater blower. Your manual or fuse box lid should tell you which fuse is which. Place the spur in the fuse location, put the fuse in the spur, put a 1A fuse in the spur wire, use this to power the switch. It's plug and play and causes no damage. Most of my devices (LED light, Dash Cams) are powered this way. 
Hope this makes sense. Only do this if you are switching a relay that will feed the compressor, otherwise the current could be to high.
Fuse spur sold at all good motor factors.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Mar 2021 20:26 by Scimike.

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2021 22:09 #234156 by Chalky the Jimny
Replied by Chalky the Jimny on topic Gen 4 ignition cable connection- where?
Thanks Scimike,

Yeah I've done this for a few items already, easy solution, good shout.

I was hoping for a more local (drivers side footwell) as the fuse box is on the passenger side on the gen 4. So maybe an unused connection I could tap.

But yeah, seems like I'll have to extend the wire to the fuse box. It is to a rocker switch, so no real power needed, the pump is connected via relay to the battery. Cheers.

More
01 Apr 2021 07:47 #234159 by Scimike
Ah ok - bit more of a run to fuse box.
is the USB power socket switched with ignition?
Sorry don't know the G4 cables as well as my G3.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
01 Apr 2021 14:15 #234166 by fordem
USB power socket is a tiny four pin connector and is most likely a 5V connection taken off of the head unit - I would suggest the 12V power outlet that's just a few inches away (at least that's where it is on my gen 4).

There are also any number of ignition switched power feeds on the driver's side above that rocker switch - for example the power mirror controls - you're not using to power the compressor, just to power the relay - so not a great deal of power draw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike, lookonimages

More
02 Apr 2021 10:01 #234190 by RainerK
Did you also think about a D+ Cable? This will only have power if the generator generates electricity. With a D+ the compressor would/could not run before the engine is running.

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2021 12:06 #234199 by Chalky the Jimny
Thanks folks.

RainerK,

Where/what is the D+ cable, as that sounds perfect to me.

More
02 Apr 2021 12:27 #234202 by RainerK
The D+ cable is the signal to indicate that the alternator is supplying electricity. There is also a W but a W comes directly from the alternator and has alternating current - probably not usable in your case. I used the D+ on my Jimny to control the charging of the dual battery system. In my case the second battery is only charged, if the alternator is running and the first barrel is sufficiently charged.

I found the D+ In the main fuse box in the engine bay - the red white-cable in the pictures. The red cable is the cable I added.

The D+ cable is the signal to indicate that the alternator is supplying electricity. There is also a W but a W comes directly from the alternator and has alternating current - probably not usable in your case. I used the D+ on my Jimny to control the charging of the dual battery system. In my case the second battery is only charged, if the alternator is running and the first barrel is sufficiently charged.

I found the D+ In the main fuse box in the engine bay - the red white-cable in the pictures. The red cable is the cable I added.

Attachments:

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2021 22:02 #234219 by Chalky the Jimny
Amazing, thanks so much! A very good idea.

More
04 Apr 2021 07:34 #234220 by lookonimages
Chalky

Do you have more pics on how you have fitted that base plate and attached the compressor if you dont mind sharing.
Did you make the attachment plate yourself?

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds