BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Need advice.

• Nikta
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2021 23:26 - 24 Mar 2021 23:28 #234002 by Nikta
Need advice. was created by Nikta
New here, been lurking for a while.
looking at buying a used Jimny.
The one in particular I'm looking at is an auto 2012 model with 135,000 ks on it listed for $16,000 AUD. It is, from what I can tell completely stock. First of all, what do you think of the price? I have seen a few slightly earlier models (08-10) with under 100,000 ks go for $14-15,000 but it is still within budget at this price. 
​​​​​​Now as it is entirely stock I would be considered doing a fair few modifications. Forgive me for possibly asking questions that have been asked here before, I have done a lot of reading on this forum and others but I would like to confirm my understanding of a few things as well as ask a few questions. Keep in mind this will be my first 4x4 so my understanding is still somewhat limited, as is my DIY ability.
The mods I would like to do are as follows:
Bullbar - ARB deluxe or xrox.
Winch - still unsure of what winch to buy.
lights - also unsure about lights.
snorkel - Safari?
Lift - considering the OME 40mm 
roof tray - suggestions?
Rear ladder - any idea where I can order one? 
Tyres - BFG KO2s in 215/75r15. I have chosen this size mainly because I won't have to chop anything. I am mildly concerned about gearing though. From what I understand it is a pain to correct gearing for this size and I saw most people suggesting to slap on a transmission cooler and temp gauge and leave it at that, any idea how much this would cost? I'm not too concerned about the power loss but I was wondering if this will reduce the life expectancy of the transmission? I did consider going a bit bigger and adjusting gearing to accommodate but I really don't want to cut anything.

I know it's not the cheapest way to do it but I've been considering just taking it to ARB and having them do the whole thing. They quoted me about $1500 just for a warn winch (fitted), do I need something that expensive? It seems over the top. Also are Safari snorkels better than any other or would I just be paying for brand name.

Any suggestions, alternatives or advice would be appreciated.

-Nikta
​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edit: 24 Mar 2021 23:28 by Nikta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Mar 2021 23:54 #234003 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Need advice.
Welcome to the forum. I don't know enough about the Australian market to comment on the value but the rest of the suggested modifications seem fairly reasonable for what you boys are doing over there. The only thing I would suggest is be careful with the roof system as the Jimny has a very low roof load capacity. As for everything else you get what you pay for and with something like the winch that doesn't get used every day that expense is buying the peace of mind that it it will work when you need it to.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Mar 2021 08:01 #234009 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Need advice.
Hi and Welcome along,
The Jimmy is very good "as is" and the biggest improvement is tyres and you have that covered. After that the gains are less obvious unless you start to push the vehicle to extremes.  Most off road trips don't require any more modifications or can be tackled in standard form by planning your route. Sure if you want to drive at a vertical rock face or just like the look you will need a few more mods!
Mighty Car mods got a Jimmy and did the Standard mod package, bit of fun, but I did not see anything that required this when they went outback.
So it's down to what you plan to use it for?
Local clubs can offer good advice and you needs will change if you plan to go alone or as part of a group.
 Can't help with the price, but here in the UK the Jimmy is "reassuringly expensive" for its age, so I guess that's true around the world.
Just in case you have not seen the mod video it's below, they have a few including their off road adventure. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
25 Mar 2021 11:13 #234012 by Old Neil
Replied by Old Neil on topic Re:Need advice.
Hi Nikta were in oz are you I'm in the west sounds like you have big plans for your jimny how old is yours what model

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

• Nikta
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2021 21:55 - 31 Mar 2021 22:08 #234155 by Nikta
Replied by Nikta on topic Need advice.
Thanks for the tip on the roof load capacity Lambert, I hadn't thought too much about that, turns out the factory rails are only supposed to take about 30kgs which is tiny! I suppose your right about the winch, I'll be glad I spent the money when I need it. I just picked up the car yesterday so I'm pretty keen to get to work on it.
I'm in NSW old Neil so I'm a fair way from the west at the moment but I did spend 6 months in the east Kimberly a few years ago and I do plan to return at some point. Mine is a 2012 model. As for the mods scimike, I suppose part of me just wants it to look a bit mean. I agree that tires and lift are a must and the bullbar is probably over kill but I will be doing a fair bit of driving on my own so I do feel like I need a winch and the bullbar is a nice convenient place to put one. Plus I don't think the stock bumper would fair very well when faced with a nice fat roo. I had a look at the mighty car mods videos on the Jimny and I think they put together something very similar to what I'll end up with. Had a bit of a poke around under the bonnet this morning and discovered the foam seal around the front of the radiator was almost non existent, any ideas how important this is and what I should do about getting my hands on something to replace it with?

Last edit: 31 Mar 2021 22:08 by Nikta.

More
01 Apr 2021 09:32 #234161 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Need advice.
A major problem with a front mounted winch is that they can only pull you forwards within an arc of approx. 90 deg. As the Jimny is lightweight I would suggest a small manually operated hand winch allied to a suitable nylon rope. A three strand will do as you don't need the complexity of an 8 strand and the stretch is the same.

You get stuck and the best way out is to reverse. Find a suitable anchor or use your own. My own hand winch has 15 ft. of steel wire so connect that to Jimny then nylon rope and fix that to anchor. Apply strain with winch and keep on going until either you pull Jimny out or nylon is stretched tight. Back into motor and reverse out.

So what happens?

When you stretched the nylon the kinetic energy you used to actuate the winch goes into the rope and stays there whilst you get back into the motor and reverse out. Think of it as a giant elastic band pulling you backwards!

OK it doesn't have the looks of a fluorescent orange super 12,000 lb monster winch mounted on a few pieces of Dexion angle - don't laugh, I've seen it done - but can that super winch pull you backwoods or sideways?

You might get out with one try or maybe two but it does work and it is easy to leave it off the motor for your normal daily drives and being a simple mechanical device it is reliable.

They are also a lot cheaper than that electric winch.

And a whole lot lighter.

Roger

More
01 Apr 2021 10:33 #234162 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Need advice.
A quick look through my catalologues revealed the following.

Machine Mart. Heavy duty power puller, 1250 kg £27.59 incl. vat
Or
Toolstation. Pull winch. 4 tonne. £32.49 incl.vat

Roger

More
01 Apr 2021 19:03 #234170 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Need advice.
My solution. Fitted a "tow bar" to the front. Winch on a tow bracket. Extra thick battery cables to back. (Primarily to charge 2nd battery) but can be used for power direct from 1st battery in a crisis for the winch (2nd battery only added for long trips. )

Front I have dedicated cables to front of bumper with brad harrison heavy duty connector. Same at back, same connector setup.

My main advantage is we are only 2, so no backseats required :) and thus have a little more space to play with.

At least i should be ok for a forward or backward tuck. So far never needed it for the jimny but then I dont play that hard either :)
Biggest advantage is the winch is protected and out of weather. When not gòing off road the winch is in cupboard in garage

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
02 Apr 2021 08:23 #234182 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Re:Need advice.
There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Nice setup and having the winch indoors so to speak alleviates a major problem, electric winches don't like being mounted on the front of a 4x4, there is too much to go wrong with all the crap that gets thrown at them.

Add the nylon rope, an 18mm 3 strand will be adequate, mine was 5 metres long and you have a neat setup.

Still cant pull sideways though!

Roger

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds