BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Time for an honest appraisal.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Mar 2021 19:35 #233930 by Lambert
Being having a meaningful conversation about the future of Dreadnaught. At 111000 miles the question of reliability going forward is having to be seriously given thought. As a daily worker there is going to be a time when it all becomes too much and things start failing. There's only one replacement alternative and that is a late gen3 automatic. The question is where is the line, at what point do I duck out? Wait until Dreadnaught is costing money to maintain, when there's no real residual value left but I've had my monies worth? Or get on with it while there are still some tidy low mileage late gen3 automatic Jimny left and Dreadnaught still has a meaningful value? 

And yes this will be a massive emotional wrench as I truly love Dreadnaught but it is a tool to do a job. What to do? 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2021 19:55 #233932 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Time for an honest appraisal.
I'm curious what you consider will need attention soon reliability wise? Many Jimnys achieve much higher mileages and over much longer periods of time. Aside from severe corrosion I can't think of any issues that would not be economical to repair.

I'm at the point with my 2003 Jimny where the rising price of a replacement means I can justify almost any repair necessary, and that has represented a significant change in my attitude to car ownership. I normally run cars into the ground and bin them when they need a significant amount of welding, but right now time spent welding is a cheaper option than replacement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
22 Mar 2021 19:59 - 22 Mar 2021 20:01 #233933 by RainerK
This is not an easy question, especially now, that the prices of used Jimnys are quite high.

From a cost perspective, I would think that Dreadnaught loses less than a newer automatic Jimny per year. So regarding spending the least amount of money the answer would be: keep her.

If money is not the main concern, my proposal would be to continuously look for a suitable automatic Jimny, and go for it when you find one, because finding a suitable Jimny might take some time.

I hope this helps you at least a little bit.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2021 20:01 by RainerK.

More
22 Mar 2021 20:04 #233934 by Scimike
If you have no desire to replace then it makes sense to wait until it starts costing money or is repeatably heading for a garage.
just being new and low milage is no guarantee of reliability. I swapped a 2012 (4 years old at the time) VW Polo with 25K for an older Jimny with more miles. Why ? The VW cost a fortune in repair bills as it was complex and unreliable. 
Still waiting for the Jimny to miss a beat.
My 2CV (1986) has toured Europe, my 1960 land rover has been to the moon and back, still 100% reliable.
I would wait until rust takes hold or you are running up more than the deprecation on a new vehicle in repair bills. You are very unlikely to equal depreciation which = keep it
Better the devil you know
Of course just my opinion, your needs and experience may differ from mine.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Mar 2021 20:16 #233935 by Lambert
Emotionally there is nothing on a Jimny that cannot be replaced or repaired so therefore it would not be a stretch to keep Dreadnaught on the road indefinitely. However as a business user I have to be confident that any vehicle is ready as needed to do whatever is required. This time last year with the head gasket failed that was not the case and had it not been for the pandemic that inconvenience might have been a week of down time instead of like 9 weeks, which has focused our attention onto robust solutions not just for cars but everything we do. I believe it is called stress testing. What I don't want is to find myself in a situation similar to when I was running the land rover and had to have 4 vehicles to do the job of 3 because of needing the redundancy to cover potential unexpected down time. Dreadnaught is subject to an extensive maintenance programme to maximise reliability but as the mileage increases so do the potential issues. I just don't know if I am round the corner from another major time consuming issue or not?

More
22 Mar 2021 20:47 #233937 by Busta
There is no easy answer to that question. As Scimike says, newness is no guarantee of reliability. It's unusual for a headgasket to go on an M series engine, especially at your mileage. Preventative maintenance and regular checks will help you avoid being caught out. I can't really think of any age related failures that could creep up on you. Crank pulley failure perhaps? Clutch? Transfer box chain? I've had a couple of them fail so I try to keep a replacement transfer box in stock. Obviously you are already familiar with the various bearings and bushes.
Keeping parts in stock is a good way to reduce downtime. There aren't many jobs on a Jimny that can't be DIYd.

More
22 Mar 2021 22:35 #233942 by Scimike
I do understand your concerns, but if you want to avoid major issues just keep servicing as you do and fix any minor problems before they develop.
Yes it's true a lower mileage and newer vehicle "should" be more reliable, but the added complexity of modern vehicles has some what undermined that statement in my opinion.
Unfortunately the only way to get yourself in a situation that your vehicle is ready to go 24/7, without any issues, is to factor in redundancy; so you need a standby vehicle.
Anything else is just fingers crossed reliability
​​​​​​

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Mar 2021 05:08 #233946 by Lambert
Having taken on board what you are saying and having given consideration to values I could be looking at upwards of 6 grand to switch to a newer vehicle which is money I don't have to pay for but could be used elsewhere in the meantime. And being first owner I do know what I have, it's not a case of other people's problems to rectify to a known baseline. The conversation will, I suspect, continue today. Cheers for the advice.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Mar 2021 05:34 #233947 by Lambert
Also I think that the direction of the conversation could well alter later in the year when I have been under Dreadnaught with the pressure washing machine and determined the actual condition of the underneath as opposed to a presumption that the waxoyl has been doing it's job. Then there is also the implications of the Spare Jimny to factor in, could there be a better solution than running 2 Jimny and a cruiser? Lots of thought required.

More
23 Mar 2021 07:56 #233951 by Busta
I bought an MOT failure (rusty) Jimny and I'm slowly stripping it as and when I need parts for mine. I know not everyone wants a scrap car hanging about, but it's certainly an economical option and allows me a quick turnaround if something does break.

More
23 Mar 2021 08:05 #233952 by sniper
There is also another option worthy of consideration, refurbish Dreadnought..... Get a price from Terry aka "Jimny Dr" for a full body off refurb, refresh/rebuild the suspension and drivetrain as far as you desire..... 3-4k gets you a shell which has seen all the bad bits made bombproof and will last another 10 years + before needing any work, all Raptor coated....... That with fresh suspension and brakes, it would feel like a new car, mine did....

Have a ponder, changing cars is going to have an element of cost or loss to the farm. If the refurb is below the cost overall of new, you would probably end up with a better car doing your own build.

You could also consider some mods at the same time, a pick up may be useful and not much more cost..... But certainly some Gucci suspension.....

The question of reliability, for a few hundred pounds you could have a complete engine, gearbox and transfer box on the shelf, ready to fit....  They would likely sit there a long time, but if you need that security it won't cost the earth..... 

In terms of cost verses benefit, the refurb should be a strong contender..... It would also be an opportunity to get a little of what you want, put in to the vehicle you drive.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Mar 2021 08:49 #233956 by Lambert
Full restoration/modification is certainly on my personal radar but it is also subject to finding out what lies beneath the waxoyl.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds