BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Gen4 Snorkel

More
17 Dec 2022 15:38 #246427 by jlines
I have the brazil snorkel on mine. I’m not aware of any real noise from the snorkel at lower speeds under 50mph or induction noise but the the outlet for mine is on the side. At Motorway speeds it does develop a whistling sound like the window is partially open which is annoying but as I don’t really go on motorways with the car I Haven’t bothered into looking at sound deadening it further. I also didn’t note any increases in performance with the snorkel added. If anything the car feels slower than our commercial which runs the same tires although I’ve never looked into the stats of both cars to see if there’s actually a difference or whether it’s in my head.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2022 16:40 #246428 by Roger Fairclough
There is a compromise of sorts. If you fitted the snorkel with green laning in mind and with no intention of needing the snorkel at other times, then keep the body fixed in place but without the corrugated tubing for normal use and refit the flexy for green lane days.
The power increase at higher rpm would indicate a ram effect with the cap facing forward. Have you thought about facing it to the side or even to the rear to see if there are any changes?
Also any info on the general fit?

Roger

More
17 Dec 2022 16:47 #246429 by 300bhpton

I have the brazil snorkel on mine. I’m not aware of any real noise from the snorkel at lower speeds under 50mph or induction noise but the the outlet for mine is on the side. At Motorway speeds it does develop a whistling sound like the window is partially open which is annoying but as I don’t really go on motorways with the car I Haven’t bothered into looking at sound deadening it further. I also didn’t note any increases in performance with the snorkel added. If anything the car feels slower than our commercial which runs the same tires although I’ve never looked into the stats of both cars to see if there’s actually a difference or whether it’s in my head.
Thanks.

I'm sure the noise and vibration is down to the harmonics of the pipework, a bit like how wind instruments work. I would say there is no other whistling or rubbing noises.

On a private road I did see 100mph on the speedo today.

More
17 Dec 2022 16:53 #246430 by 300bhpton

There is a compromise of sorts. If you fitted the snorkel with green laning in mind and with no intention of needing the snorkel at other times, then keep the body fixed in place but without the corrugated tubing for normal use and refit the flexy for green lane days.
The power increase at higher rpm would indicate a ram effect with the cap facing forward. Have you thought about facing it to the side or even to the rear to see if there are any changes?
Also any info on the general fit?

Roger
Thanks. I don't really like compromises, not when you've paid the money. Don't think I'd ever truly be happy with having to swap them over and back and forth.

As for fitment, as per my installation post. It fits fine bar the few issues. There isn't really a lot of choice as you have 2 hard points that it is attached too. There is a little wiggle room in one bracket, but ultimately you will want the bottom of the snorkel to be level and aligned with the bonnet shut line too.

Tilting it up or down would make it sit an angle.

Attachments:

More
17 Dec 2022 18:43 #246431 by Roger Fairclough
I have another idea. I don't like convoluted tubing, it just shouts vibration and that means noise, so why not replace it with something like 60mm pvc pipe. Move the battery as close to the inner wing as possible and maybe you will have enough room to get the pipe in alongside the battery especially if you move the bracket with the electrics closer to the engine. Just a thought.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Dec 2022 19:15 #246432 by Lambert
Have to say I'd be a little disappointed to find a I was having to modify something so expensive. Might it be possible to use something like an industrial snail fan to systematically test the snorkel off the car and plastic weld some baffles in?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Dec 2022 21:45 - 17 Dec 2022 21:51 #246433 by Scimike
Just out of curiousity have you (can you) tried it with the intake head facing rearward or removed?
It's almost "ram air" (old bikers step forward)  induction with it facing forward, another change to the intake system not on the original.

Never understood why they face forward, anyone elaborate? To me forward facing is perfect to ingest any thrown up water and it's also a perfect tree "branch hook" shape promoting damage on land from branches.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 17 Dec 2022 21:51 by Scimike.

More
17 Dec 2022 23:13 #246434 by jlines
There has always been a debate over which way the intake should face on snorkels but I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. The majority go with forward facing because it looks right. Most cars fitted with snorkels including mine just do it for looks rather than for practical reasons. Another reason people might turn the intake around is because of the likelihood of hitting it against something which happens fairly often if you are properly off-roading it. If you go in water where a snorkel is actually needed then your interior will be well and truly trashed.

More
18 Dec 2022 13:00 #246439 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Still not got round to fitting mine yer, but it looks like the pipe might be long enough to stretch out that 180⁰ turn at the airbox. Something like my crude mark-up below, might be worth a try?

Attachments:

More
18 Dec 2022 13:11 #246440 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Re:New Gen4 Snorkel
Looking forward to seeing a video of a successful crossing of Rufford Ford (if and when it reopens)!

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

More
31 Dec 2022 19:21 - 31 Dec 2022 19:23 #246603 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
I fitted mine today, I'll add more in my thread as 300bhpton has already added a good fitting guide on here.

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Dec 2022 19:23 by Soeley.

More
01 Jan 2023 12:23 - 01 Jan 2023 12:24 #246612 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Have you driven it yet and can comment on if it's changed the way the engine "feels" ?
Feedback may help 300BHPton with his issue. It's also interesting to read!

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Jan 2023 12:24 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds