BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Possibly buying a jimny tomorrow.

• Blacksails
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2021 18:32 #233570 by Blacksails
Possibly buying a jimny tomorrow. was created by Blacksails
Hi guys,

Possibly buying a 2019 Jimny tomorrow depending on the verdict...
It's an auto. I took it for a test drive today and everything about it was excellent except theres a whine. I've attached a video link.
It whines under acceleration and also deceleration (although quieter). It's not too different in 4H but in 4L it whined really quite loud. Is this the norm for these cars? I live in the countryside in Iceland and am wanting to buy a smaller more economical 4x4 to reliably get me to and from work. The Jimny seems perfect. It's just this whine that's making me question this particular one. I tried a manual and there was also a whine, but a bit quieter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2021 18:40 #233571 by fordem
All I could hear there was a fair bit of low frequency noise - but - one of the first things I noticed about my Jimny (I have a 2021, about six weeks or so now), is the audible transmission whine, coming from a GV, it is a little alarming, but I believe it is normal, and you could probably quiet it down some by adding sound absorbing material under the carper around the transmission, transfer case area.

More
09 Mar 2021 20:00 - 09 Mar 2021 20:02 #233573 by lightning
How many miles has it done?
l've heard others mentioning the transmission whine although our 2020 manual doesn't do it.

The Jimny comes with a three year warranty, so if there's excessive transmission noise you can take it to a dealer for them to have a look at.

The transmission oil is normally replaced at the first service and you could check that this was done, if you can identify who did the service.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2021 20:02 by lightning.

• Blacksails
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2021 20:09 #233575 by Blacksails
Replied by Blacksails on topic Possibly buying a jimny tomorrow.
It’s done 57,000km so ~ 35,000 miles.

Is it normal for them to whine very loudly in 4L? I’ve owned 4x4’s before but nothing that has crawler gears so have no idea if that’s normal.

I’ve never owned a car this new so have never had the luxury of a warranty. If I purchased, took it there and they found an issue, it’d be a free fix right?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Mar 2021 04:23 #233586 by Lambert
All Jimny are quite loud even the quiet ones like mine are loud enough for normal car drivers to comment on the noise. It's a function of them having the extra gear set of the transfer box and it being right next to the driver seat. Also as has been said they are cheap and lightweight so are not massively sound deadened from the factory.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Mar 2021 08:25 - 10 Mar 2021 08:28 #233595 by lightning
l can tell you that my Land Rover Defender transfer box whines when in low ratio, particularly at speeds over 20mph.

l've not tested the Jimny but will drive at speed in low ratio and let you know, however ours has only done around 4,000 miles from new.

l bet that Jimny you are looking at has never had the transmission oil changed. lt's often forgotten in Defenders because transmission oil is rarely if ever changed on normal vehicles these days.

The gearbox oil change interval on my Ford van was 60,000 miles.

Last edit: 10 Mar 2021 08:28 by lightning.

More
10 Mar 2021 09:44 #233600 by saxj

Blacksails wrote: It’s done 57,000km so ~ 35,000 miles.

Is it normal for them to whine very loudly in 4L? I’ve owned 4x4’s before but nothing that has crawler gears so have no idea if that’s normal.

I’ve never owned a car this new so have never had the luxury of a warranty. If I purchased, took it there and they found an issue, it’d be a free fix right?

The noise is normal.

More
11 Mar 2021 01:51 #233634 by fordem

Lambert wrote: Also as has been said they are cheap and lightweight so are not massively sound deadened from the factory.

This is what I think is the actual issue - I don't hear the transmission whine on my GV from the driver's seat unless I'm driving alongside a surface that it can reflect from - I'm planning to put sound absorbent material in the Jimny, around the transmission tunnel, under the carpet, but I'm not going to do it until after the first or maybe second service.

I have what I believe is the "graunch" in first gear mentioned in the Q-A6G-004 TSB and I want the dealer to be able to hear it clearly - I suspect it is the transfer case chain "vibrating" under the tension or torque load of a medium/hard launch, in the same way as a guitar string would

• Blacksails
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2021 15:21 #233645 by Blacksails
So, I tested another four cars. It probably doesn’t come through very well on my video but all four of the other vehicles were much, much quieter in the whine department. Still looking for the one.

More
11 Mar 2021 17:24 - 11 Mar 2021 17:28 #233653 by lightning
l checked yesterday and our 4,000 mile Jimny is quite a loud whine in low range.
But in high range it's fine.
Pretty much the same as the Land Rover.

That video you posted above, l can hear the whine on that, if that's in high range 2wd ours doesn't whine like that.

Note you shouldn't drive in 4H or 4L on the road, unless it's ice or snow, as there's no centre differential on the Jimny and you risk damage to the transmission.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2021 17:28 by lightning.

• Blacksails
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2021 11:17 #233707 by Blacksails

lightning wrote: l checked yesterday and our 4,000 mile Jimny is quite a loud whine in low range.
But in high range it's fine.
Pretty much the same as the Land Rover.

That video you posted above, l can hear the whine on that, if that's in high range 2wd ours doesn't whine like that.

Note you shouldn't drive in 4H or 4L on the road, unless it's ice or snow, as there's no centre differential on the Jimny and you risk damage to the transmission.

Nope, that video was in 2H. Tested 4L on a patch of ice and the whine was louder than the radio at a comfortable speaking volume. Its a lot louder in real life than comes across on the video. I've dropped the idea of buying that one now.

More
13 Mar 2021 11:43 #233708 by Roger Fairclough
I just asked Viv the basic question, "which is quieter, the Audi Q3 or the Jimny". She thought for a few seconds and then said, "probably the Audi but there is very little in it". Then I substituted the LandCruiser for the Jimny and she laughed and said straight away "no comparison, the Audi is a lot quieter".

The Jimny is fitted with a sound deadening kit and it does make a considerable difference. I bought the kit from Noise Killer Acoustics.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds