BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny commercial

More
07 Aug 2023 15:37 #250146 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Jimny commercial
Hi Gary - welcome back!!

The floor is a piece of hardboard laid on top of two plastic boxes to create a level floor. I removed them to look at what was left in place from the removal of the original seats. You would gain a little space as the aim of the boxes is to create a level floor with the edge of the boot door. If you could put up with a door lip then there are a couple of centimetres to be gained (but that is all).

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
07 Aug 2023 22:47 #250153 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Jimny commercial
Thanks Martin, it’s very nearly 19 years since I bought my last new Jimny so I must have been due one !
So 19 years ago I nearly bought yours when it had just been built … then a friend Will had it instead… and I bought mine standard from a dealer for £7500 and promptly spent near that on it again over the next 2 years. 

loving this new works van !, didn’t realise I’d get multifunction steering wheel, lane assist, and some radar braking gizmo… 

I won’t be doing much to it tbh, playing around with storage in the back maybe, spit charge and decent fridge and inverter probably. Maybe some AT’s. Worst case a pair of air lockers :)

Gary

More
08 Apr 2024 16:30 #255500 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial
Prompted by a letter in Autocar this week, I looked into the speed limits.

A Jimny LCV is NOT a car derived van, unless the V5 says those three words for its taxation class.  My V5 says Light Goods Vehicle.

BUT

It does qualify as a dual-purpose vehicle because 4x4 can be selected.  Therefore car speed limits apply.

The law is an ass here because 4x4 is quite irrelevant to how safe it is at 60mph (unless you're doing 60mph in a blanket of snow, in which case a speeding ticket is the least of your worries) but an LCV is mechanically identical to the car version.

More
12 Apr 2024 23:23 #255543 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial
Oh that legal compliance was made simple to understand. Driving an LCV Jimmy seems more like a game of roulette when it comes to speed limits. Glad I drive slowly as I pass those (S)camera vans.

More
22 Apr 2024 14:04 #255731 by JimnyScott
Replied by JimnyScott on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial
doesnt it state to be a dual purpose vehicle is need to have a selectable 4x4 AND a row of seats behind the driver? that was my taking on it,

and Car Derived Van would be stated on the Body Type, the Jimny is a 4x4 utility vehicle or something like that from memory, a Car Derived Van would still have the taxation class as Light Goods Vehicle, Ive had a couple of Vauxhall Combos registered as Car Derived Vans and thats how they were

More
22 Apr 2024 16:07 - 22 Apr 2024 16:09 #255732 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Re:Re:Jimny commercial
It's probably not a CDV as the rear windows aren't opaque, but it is a Dual Purpose Vehicle because it can deliver power to all wheels, see the extract below from

www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-d...ual-purpose-vehicles

The advice also says it will state if it is a CDV on the V5C under body type, Roger has confirmed his doesn't say CDV, but Roger is correct, it is a Dual Purpose Vehicle as defined by the DfT.

===========================================================
A dual purpose vehicle is a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods and designed to weigh no more than 2,040 kg when unladen, and is either:

constructed or adapted so that the driving power of the engine is, or can be selected to be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle

or

permanently fitted with a rigid roof, at least one row of transverse passenger seats to the rear of the driver’s seat and will have side and rear windows - there must also be a minimum ratio between the size of passenger and stowage areas

===========================================================

Notice the word 'or'.

Therefore it is the same speed limits as the car it is based on.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 22 Apr 2024 16:09 by DrRobin.

More
23 Apr 2024 06:44 #255739 by rogerzilla
The only van limit that would ever be a problem for me (if it applied, which it doesn't) would be the 50-in-a-60 one for single carriageways.  I don't drive the LCV at more than 60mph on dual carriageways as the noise and fuel consumption become excessive!

More
25 Apr 2024 20:57 #255780 by rogerzilla
Brim to brim mpg today was 40.6, mainly knocking about town.  Computer said 41.6. 

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds