BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Maxxis Wormdrive AT-980E

• Gilling Red
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2021 20:51 #231820 by Gilling Red
Maxxis Wormdrive AT-980E was created by Gilling Red
Has anybody fitted the above tyres, They look like BFG AT's but a lot cheaper ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2021 22:10 #231821 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic Maxxis Wormdrive AT-980E
Probably not much use to you but I've recently fitted maxxis bighorn mud terrain a on my Isuzu Dmax, they run a treat on the road, used to have BFG all terrains and found them a bit tail happy. American tyres always seem very hard to me, apparently they want mega miles out of a tyre. Used to run Mickey Thomson Baja tyres on an sj413, could let them down to about 8 psi and they still hardly flexed.

More
14 Jan 2021 22:55 #231823 by Doctorchris
Come on, now. You know this the tread pattern you really want!
www.insaturbo.com/copia-de-risko

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Jan 2021 04:17 #231824 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Maxxis Wormdrive AT-980E
Member 300bhpton has the worm drive on his gen4 and seems to be happy with them.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Jan 2021 10:06 #231829 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Maxxis Wormdrive AT-980E

Gilling Red wrote: Has anybody fitted the above tyres, They look like BFG AT's but a lot cheaper ?

I have these. Think I've done about 3000 miles so far. Have been very impressed with them. They seem to ride as well on road as the standard tyres. I can still set the cruise control at 70mph on the motorway. Have driven in dry and wet weather with them.

If you really throw it around hard on some tight contry roads you can feel it moving about on the lugs a bit. But this is completely expected with any AT or MT tyre of this type.

They have also been way better in the mud than I'd normally credit an AT. Although I would say they are more on the aggressive end of the AT scale. Sadly not had chance to try them in snow as we haven't had any at all in this part of the UK.

One first glance they do appear similar to the BFG's, although if you look closer at the lug design you can see they are also quite different. I'm sure the BFG's would be equally as good, but they are a lot more money. BFG have a reputation for lasting a long time. But I expect the Maxxis tyres will last more than long enough for me.

I'm running 215.75R15 which I would say do blunt performance a bit. It will make the vehicle feel less perky and peppy. I have also noticed quite a dip in mpg, although this coincides with somewhat different use due to the whole lockdown/covid thing. But it certainly isn't as economical according to the OBC. I do not beleive this is specific to the Maxxis tyres however and would likely be the same result from any AT/MT tyre. As they are bigger and heavier.

Technically these should be taller than the standard tyres and they do look chunkier, but overally height was very similar. So much so that I can not detect any changes to the speedo vs GPS.

Ultimately if asked would I buy them again. I would say YES. :)

• Gilling Red
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2021 17:57 #231841 by Gilling Red
Replied by Gilling Red on topic Maxxis Wormdrive AT-980E
Hi. They do due look great, do find that they throw more muck up along the doors ? The tyre looks quite a bit larger in the photo, is that an illusion ?

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds