BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Jimney doesn't reverse very well

• Flyer900
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2021 13:19 #231793 by Flyer900
Jimney doesn't reverse very well was created by Flyer900
Hi

I have recently purchased a 20 year old Jimney which has low mileage and has been very well maintained since new. I have noticed though I need more power to reverse the car than I do to pull away in first gear, and also when reversing when you take your foot off the throttle the car stops almost immediately without needing to use the brakes ie; the car doesn't continue rolling backwards.

Is this normal for a Jimney or could there be something wrong with the car.

Appreciate your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2021 13:42 #231794 by Scimike
Hi It’s not normal, they should roll much the same forward or backwards.It’s likely to be the brakes, so worth stripping them all and checking all is free.The front system is prone to seizing, but in this case my gut tells me this is the rear brakes. Sounds like the shoes are sticking and in reverse the shoe edge is digging in more. Good luck Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
14 Jan 2021 14:42 #231798 by Roger Fairclough
A 20 year old Jmny with low but unstated mileage may look ok on the surface but has probably had little in the way of proper servicing. For peace of mind a major service that involves brakes, suspension steering etc would be a good idea. This does not need to be done by Suzuki as 20 year old Jimnys are not complicated and a decent mechanic would find it a doddle. Either tell us where you are and maybe we can advise some one local or use you own if you have someone you trust.

Roger

More
14 Jan 2021 15:57 - 14 Jan 2021 16:04 #231799 by mlines
I agree, drum brakes need looking at, either

1. Adjustment
2. Shoes fitted the wrong way around, shoe adjuster fitted wrongly
3. Handbrake cables routed/fitted incorrectly ( guess how I know this one!)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 14 Jan 2021 16:04 by mlines.

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds