BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

48mph wobble??????? help/advice wanted please

More
19 Nov 2020 15:57 #230205 by jackonlyjack
+3 i have kingpins show no wear/movement
On removal they fell to pieces

Steering damper i made my own brackets and used the Armstrong damper
The said damper are for disco one and cost less than £20
So cheap enough to replace every year ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2020 22:58 #230219 by Scimike
The damper in my kit is the same^^^^^
Armstrong, part STC786A or BR2255A Bearmarch Land Rover parts. Have seen just the mountings on eBay, could make it cheaper.

Whatever you decide give use an update on how things go, good or bad. We learn more from feedback to close out a topic, much better than never knowing the outcome.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2020 02:54 #230309 by Halsey
Spent last few days in hospital having a hip replacement (big thank-you NHS!) - job (kingpins and probably a steering damper) will happen whilst I'm recovering just delayed - yes I will feedback of course................
Thanks all.

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2020 04:37 #230311 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic 48mph wobble??????? help/advice wanted please
Get well soon Halsey !

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2020 08:56 - 08 Dec 2020 11:37 #230749 by Halsey
I had a call from the garage yesterday the new King Pins are now fitted and they have cured the problem completely apparently they showed no signs of any issues until they were on the workbench and then they were clearly "knackered" - rusty and falling apart.
"Raptor" Steering Damper on order should be fitted early next week then just a new set of BFG's to fit and she will be ready for anything!
I will post photos of old parts when I get her back - shame I won't be allowed to drive until after Xmas (min 6 weeks from operation date for insurance) but at least the work will be done.

WHICH BFGs???? Urban Terrain or All Terrain - I don't go off road but do want good snow and flood/wet traction as this is our get out of trouble vehicle.

Cheers all
Last edit: 08 Dec 2020 11:37 by Halsey.

More
08 Dec 2020 12:06 #230753 by sniper
BFG KO2's were great tyres but they are an acquired skill in the wet. Fantastic in snow and I laned all over with them, good grip on all surfaces... but certainly not the best on wet tarmac.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Dec 2020 12:53 #230757 by Lambert
I have urban terrain and they are awesome on virtually all surfaces save deep mud and black ice but even then with caution you will be fine.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2020 17:57 #230771 by Halsey
The research I have done to date suggests BFG UT is the way to go - so thanks for that - which size on std 15" steel rims??

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Dec 2020 18:01 #230772 by Halsey
wet tarmac performance matters so thanks for that feedback - BFG UT looks the way to go.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Dec 2020 20:49 #230777 by Lambert
Mine are 205.70r15. I do a lot of towing so haven't gone bigger than standard so as to maintain power at the wheels.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halsey

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2020 14:16 - 15 Dec 2020 14:20 #230916 by Halsey
I had a call from the garage yesterday the new King Pins are now fitted and they have cured the problem completely apparently they showed no signs of any issues until they were on the workbench and then they were clearly "knackered" - rusty and falling apart.
"Raptor" Steering Damper on order should be fitted early next week then just a new set of BFG's to fit and she will be ready for anything!
I will post photos of old parts when I get her back - shame I won't be allowed to drive until after Xmas (min 6 weeks from operation date for insurance) but at least the work will be done.
Cheers all

Update -

She is back - delivered this morning - total labour charge incl collection/delivery and valet 4hrs @ £45/hr for kingpin review/replacement and steering damper investigation and supply and fit new (Raptor) parts - SWMBO has driven her and is very impressed - I cant wait to try it myself but it feels like the right decision and for a total of app £750 incl the earlier brake disc/pads replacement and full wheel re-balance feels perfectly OK to me as a 65yr old armchair mechanic.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2020 14:20 by Halsey.

More
15 Dec 2020 17:51 #230919 by Scimike
Thanks for the update.
Good to know it's all worked, just sit back and enjoy wobble free travel.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halsey

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds