BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying

More
11 Nov 2020 21:24 #229950 by Micheal
Folks, our SZ4 has a severely frayed seatbelt, see pic. It is two yours old and has done about 6000miles. It has obviously been catching in gthe holder at the top. Anyone else noticed anything like that?
Cheers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2020 21:40 #229951 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
I kinda feel there might be more to this story?

Where about on the belt has it frayed?

More
11 Nov 2020 21:54 #229952 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Mine will be 2 years old in January and currently has 18,500 miles on the cock. No sign of catching or fraying.

More
11 Nov 2020 21:57 #229953 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Looking at the picture, it is such a short section of fraying, it looks like it has been nicked on something?

More
11 Nov 2020 22:05 #229954 by Roger Fairclough
If it had been doing this over a decent period of time it would have been noticed, so I assume it happened suddenly and violently such as been trapped in the door and dragged along the ground.

roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Nov 2020 06:27 #229955 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Regardless of how it's happened you need to get that replaced ASAP. It would be an immediate dangerous failure on an mot, and would be virtually useless if you are involved in a collision. Get it fixed!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Nov 2020 08:22 #229958 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
That's bizarre.

With the the belt in normal use there shouldn't be enough tension on it to do that in such a short time. Unless there's a sharp piece of metal or something behind the trim where the belt goes.

Where on the belt is the damaged part? As in, where does it sit when retracted, and in use.

l would take the Jimny bask to your dealer and see what they say.

More
12 Nov 2020 15:05 #229963 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Thought for a moment that I had logged onto the Land Rover Defender Forum - frayed seatbelts are not unknown with Defenders and various products are available to prevent it happening. Never seen this problem on a Jimny - will check my own G4 later but will be shocked if it has started to fray. Have noted that my old Defender has had a couple of advisories for a frayed seatbelt at MOT time.

More
12 Nov 2020 17:35 #229964 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Fraying on seatbelts can be caused over time by repeated use or by a sharp edge/manufacturing fault, the photo to me looks like the latter. I don't believe it's a common fault in any vehicle, but this aside Lambert's correct in that it wants fixing asap.
Suzuki need to take a look to see if anything on your vehicle that is causing the issue or it's a manufacturing fault, should be easy enough if it's in warranty.
The only other factor is us, the user, did we damage it in anyway? Jamming it in the door mechanism of dragging along the road are all good routes to this type of damage.
Not implying any one method is the reason, simply looking a the various mechanism to belt failure of this type.
Hope you get it fixed.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
13 Nov 2020 18:22 #229986 by Micheal
Replied by Micheal on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
Hi all, it's the wife that drives the Jimny, she noticed the belt getting difficult to pull down then that it was frayed like this. She says there have been no sudden events, trapping or dragging along the road.
Suzuki dealer suggests a very expensive bill, none of these in the country (!?), £200+ parts + labour +VAT thick end of £400 I imagine.
They are sending pics to Suzuki to see if they will replace under warranty, won't order the part from Japan unless paid in full in advance. I think we can sense where this is going.
It is a bit concerning that Suzuki have such parts costs and poor availability
Cheers

More
13 Nov 2020 18:25 #229987 by Micheal
Replied by Micheal on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
couple of further photos attached
Attachments:

More
13 Nov 2020 18:30 #229988 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic GEN 4 Seat Belt fraying
When wearing the belt, where is the frayed bit? Obviously this wouldn't help with a warranty claim. But could it have caught on a belt buckle or even something like a handbag strap or something.

Also when the belt is fully retracted, where is the frayed bit?

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds