BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Lack of service history

• Fordy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2020 18:10 #229358 by Fordy
Lack of service history was created by Fordy
Hello All,

Fordy here. Am a new member currently looking for a Jimny to buy. We are looking at 2 cars 1 a new ish 2015, 50k miles, which looks very tidy but has literally no service history. The current owner says a small garage changes the oil and that the breaks are a bit spongy but it seems fine. My alarm bells are ringing but externally the car looks good. Advice please

The 2nd car is a 2008. 33,000 miles FSH 1 lady owner. We are drawn to this too but there’s a lot of difference between a 2008 and 2015 !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2020 18:42 #229361 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic Lack of service history
Hi Fordy!
Last year I bought an '05 with 74k on the clock. I bought it with the understanding that I will have to spend £££ getting it straight.
The biggest outgoing so far has been replacing the slam panel (£500 all in)
It will now pass it's MOT next month then, it will be new suspension, then bushes and on and on.
The slam panel is IMO, the biggest rust trap on this car, you must check this area first (behind and underneath the headlights)....

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2020 18:48 #229363 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Lack of service history
No FSH on the '15 isn't necessarily a big deal, it should be worth slightly below book.
More to the point, how many owners? Can you track down the original owner? Very often lack of fsh is the result of a poor dealer/customer relationship at the beginning. Just find out more from the current owner and if you're unhappy, walk away. I personally wouldn't be comparing an '08 with a '15, they are miles apart (and surley a big price difference). I've got an '08 and I love it but I'd rather it was a newer model. Chris

More
21 Oct 2020 21:58 - 21 Oct 2020 22:32 #229371 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Lack of service history
Hi Fordy and welcome along.
As a general rule in the mechanical department they are very reliable vehicles, so lack of service history is not necessarily a bad thing.
Rust may starting on the 2008, so have a good look around it in the known areas. Also the 2008 may have a weak bearing in the gearbox, later upgraded by Suzuki to a sealed type bearing in 2009/10. I don't know if this is a big deal or not, plenty run the "problem" gearbox without issue, some report early failure. I potential have the issue on my 2009 Jimny, but so far 56k and no problems to report.
The 2015 should be clear of any rot, but it's still worth a good look underneath and decided which is in best condition below. Previous owners and the use it's had will impact the level of rust and or off road damage.
Spongy brakes can be caused by sticking sliders on the front calipers, a known issue if poorly maintained. So check the discs for excessive wear or lack of pad material. Could be another issue, but again if maintained brakes are Ok. Not modern VW good, but Ok for the type of vehicle it is.
Once you know which is the best body take them both for a drive. Easy to select gears, everything works including the 4x4 high / low? If yes then that's good. Check the engine idles smoothly and it is relatively quite. Check the oil filler cap for white emulsion and look for oil leaks, coolant loss and oil around the front wheels (swivels). Have a steady drive at between 45 - 52 mph and make sure the steering does not shake. Check the MOT history, it's a good indication of condition and what's been done.
If they both pass all this then it's down to price and which you like best in my opinion.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 21 Oct 2020 22:32 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Oct 2020 04:14 #229377 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Lack of service history
Welcome to the forum. I would not be looking at the 2008, as said by Mike the gearbox is a potential 600 quid plus time bomb and the body will have started to corrode in places not easily seen without taking the car in bits, for example the front body mount behind the head lights. They would need to be giving it away. The 2015 on the other hand should still be fairly clean and tidy and should be just about run in service history or not.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Oct 2020 07:37 - 22 Oct 2020 07:51 #229383 by Scimike
I don't 100% subscribe to Lamberts ageist comment :laugh:
The condition underneath is very much influenced by previous owners maintenance and the use its been subjected to, with a pinch of Suzuki's random body protection quality.
So yes the 2015 "should" be better, but its no guarantee. Equally the 2008 "should" have more rust, but it could equally be mint.
You do need to take the best look you cant and decide accordingly. The 2008 will be a hell of a lot cheaper, so factor in £700 for a future potential exchange gearbox and see if its a better deal, after all its done less miles. That said the 2015 is a newer vehicle and will win in car park age related top trumps. Ultimately they will be the same vehicle, Suzuki did not change them much over the years of production.
If you have a budget get the best you can within this.
Out of the two you are currently looking at the 2015 should be the better option, but look closely.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 22 Oct 2020 07:51 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
22 Oct 2020 08:13 - 22 Oct 2020 08:23 #229385 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Lack of service history
lf you are worried about the service history

Ask for the contact number for the "small garage that changes the oil" and try to verify what work they have done on the vehicle.

lf it's genuine the owner should be happy to give you the garage details.
And the garage shouldn't have a problem telling you how many times they've serviced it.

Also have a look at the state of the oil in the engine, does it look like it was changed in the not too distant past or is it black as tar? And have a quick look at the air filter, the brakes, the oil filter, does the vehicle look like it's been looked after or is it filthy inside/under the bonnet, with any stone chips/minor scratches not touched in and dirty wheels?
Are the wheel arches/underside scuffed from off road use? Not necessarily a bad thing, but all adds up.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2020 08:23 by lightning.

More
22 Oct 2020 08:30 #229386 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Lack of service history
Based on the current feedback from the new Gen4 owners with items missed out on the first service, having to provide your own filters etc as Suzuki have not stock or wrong oil being used, I would suggest "no service history" is a benefit!

I would go and see the car and judge whether it looks cared for. Things like the state of the oil, the state of the outside of the oil filter, opening the airbox to see if the filter is clean and the leaves have been removed. Pull the end off the PCV tubing at the top of the engine and see if its full of gunk. Look at the diff fillers and see if the square socket is chewed up, see if it looks like the filler has actually been opened at some point.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
22 Oct 2020 14:54 #229397 by Roger Fairclough
A number of members have mentioned a "goo" that you sometimes find inside the cam cover and various hoses. This is a mixture of engine oil and condensation and is an indication that the motor has done a lot of short journeys and has not had a chance to warm up properly. In the trade it is known as "mayonnaise".

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Oct 2020 17:15 #229402 by Lambert

Scimike wrote: I don't 100% subscribe to Lamberts ageist comment :laugh:
The condition underneath is very much influenced by previous owners maintenance and the use its been subjected to, with a pinch of Suzuki's random body protection quality.
So yes the 2015 "should" be better, but its no guarantee. Equally the 2008 "should" have more rust, but it could equally be mint.
You do need to take the best look you cant and decide accordingly. The 2008 will be a hell of a lot cheaper, so factor in £700 for a future potential exchange gearbox and see if its a better deal, after all its done less miles. That said the 2015 is a newer vehicle and will win in car park age related top trumps. Ultimately they will be the same vehicle, Suzuki did not change them much over the years of production.
If you have a budget get the best you can within this.
Out of the two you are currently looking at the 2015 should be the better option, but look closely.

There is a reason why my Spare Jimny is a 2016 and not a 2006. It's a numbers game. You can find clean older Jimny if you look hard enough but they are all old and any maintenance is going to be just that, maintaining an old car in a time warp as best as possible usually by spending lots of money. A significantly newer one is just that. Newer.

More
22 Oct 2020 17:28 #229404 by Scimike
Yep it's a numbers game and I fully understand your reasoning. But age is also just a number, it's not indicative of condition. Just saying both are worth a close look, don't just assume the new one is perfect.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Oct 2020 18:46 #229413 by Lambert
Try telling my knees that age is just a number! :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds