BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Raising the drivers seat.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2020 16:35 #227594 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Raising the drivers seat.
All depends on the insurance company. Some say OK others want more money. As for safety you can buy raising rails on Ebay for a Defender. So what's the difference fitting the same on a Jimny???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2020 17:02 #227596 by Roger Fairclough
The design of the defender rails is principally to lengthen the seat travel by around 70mm but with the bonus of increasing seat height by between 30-50mm. Lightning wants 10mm so the Defender design is to high.

Roger

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2020 17:23 #227598 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Raising the drivers seat.
Forget the Defender rail, It's about raising the factory seat height. Is it legal & safe to do so.
I think it is but the insurance part is a pain.
Claim it as a mobility car. Then you can have a chair that swivel's out & lowers you down.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Aug 2020 17:37 #227599 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Raising the drivers seat.
My point is that on a defender the rails are engineered and sold covered by consumer law and potentially type approval suggesting fitness for purpose. Versus something cobbled together. I don't have issues with home engineered fixes if it's just for off road use on private land but if it going to be used on the road I don't see why things shouldn't professionally engineered or at minimum properly inspected.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Groenewald
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2020 08:04 #229971 by Groenewald
Replied by Groenewald on topic Raising the drivers seat.
Raising the seats will be my weekend project:

I am going to make some custom spacers from oilon: I still have some in my workshop and the stuff is EXTREMELY durable.

How difficult is it to remove the seats on a Gen4?

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2020 09:54 #229972 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Raising the drivers seat.
I'm a great fan of plastics for engineering use (easy to machine, cheap to buy) but I'm not sure of your choice of Oilon. You're choosing a material that's main selling point is inbuilt lubrication. Rather than slippery seat mounts wouldn't Delrin for example be a better choice? Only a thought and if you can source something else quicker, where's the harm? Chris

More
13 Nov 2020 13:45 #229979 by Roger Fairclough
I agree with CC on this. Any form of plastic will have a degree of flex and link that to inbuilt lubrication and the result could be a degree of squirm that, over a period of time, could loosen the bolts. I used aluminium without any problems. Just remember is use similar mushroom headed bolts.
It's not necessary to remove the seat from the car. If you want to though, you will find that disconnecting the two electrical connections - seat belt warning and seat heaters - takes longer than removing 4 bolts!

Roger

• Groenewald
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2020 07:08 #229997 by Groenewald
Replied by Groenewald on topic Raising the drivers seat.

CC Baxter wrote: I'm a great fan of plastics for engineering use (easy to machine, cheap to buy) but I'm not sure of your choice of Oilon. You're choosing a material that's main selling point is inbuilt lubrication. Rather than slippery seat mounts wouldn't Delrin for example be a better choice? Only a thought and if you can source something else quicker, where's the harm? Chris

Good point. I have already decided on Delrin. I think I still have a thick enough rod lying around.

The spacers are more visible from the outside than I thought and the green oilon will look downright weird...

More
22 Nov 2020 21:56 #230307 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Raising the drivers seat.
Thanks for all the replies.

l will try some aluminium spacers. One thing, when you loosen the rear seat bolt, the captive nut inside also seems to become loose.
Can l just confirm that the nuts don't disappear inside the floor when you remove the bolts?

More
03 Jan 2023 16:46 #246649 by aisle2
Replied by aisle2 on topic Raising the drivers seat.
We’re you able to figure this out? Any info you could share would be helpful

More
03 Jan 2023 17:35 #246650 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Raising the drivers seat.
I recently changed the seats in my Jimny, the original seats including rails are held in with four bolts, none of the nuts in the floor, moved, I assume they are welded in like the rear seat & seat belt fixings. One thing to note is the load area around the fixing bolts is fairly small and at least one bolt is at a different height from the others (the floor is uneven).

Anyway if you want to raise the seat a little, I don’t see why you couldn’t just buy longer bolts and use some spacers, I think the bolts are M10 (possibly M8), and there is plenty of room for a spacer, say 20 or 30mm square or round drilled for the bolts and length cut to suit.

If you were only going up 10-15mm, no one would notice, especially if you do both sides and with a decent spacer the strength and rigidity would be unchanged.

You can buy seat relocation brackets, these allow the seat to be moved further back, they are around 5mm thick, so you could mount them with a spacer and that would give a very solid platform for the raised seat.

Alternatively buy some of these tailored seat covers, they will raise you up a bit.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds