BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tow bars

More
29 Aug 2020 20:54 - 29 Aug 2020 20:55 #227523 by lightning
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationTow bars was created by lightning
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationEbay has fixed and detachable towbars for the Gen 4 Jimny at £100-150
Has anybody tried one. Which is better, fixed air detachable?

Last edit: 29 Aug 2020 20:55 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2020 21:05 #227524 by Roger Fairclough
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Roger Fairclough on topic Tow bars
The important point is that no part of the ball or neck be allowed to obstruct the number plate. There is probably an illustration as to the angle at which the plate is viewed to determine if it is obstructed in much the same as there is an illustration of chips in windscreens to determine if you need a new screen. My own tow ball can be removed the problem is I forget to do it!

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Aug 2020 21:24 #227528 by Lambert
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Lambert on topic Tow bars
I have had both types on various Jimny and it really depends on how much towing you regularly do. Dreadnaught is a detachable and is a constant pain because I am forever taking it on and off because I don't want the swan neck getting pinched but it's an odd week that doesn't see a trailer on the back. The previous spare Jimny was fixed and a pain because you were forever whacking your shins on it every time you were in the back and being fixed it wasn't simple to remove it for the 75% of the time it wasn't needed. Either way though go direct to TowTrust for a good price on a quality bar.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Aug 2020 22:23 #227532 by Scimike
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Scimike on topic Tow bars
I have detachable swan neck on our G3 and like Lambert found it's a shin whacker if you leave it fitted, so it's good for me it's removable. I only tow every few weeks so fitting it's not an issue, but it's a heavy lump to handle.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
03 Sep 2020 21:45 #227693 by gilburton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by gilburton on topic Tow bars
Apart from the detachable aspect you might consider whether you need a standard bolt on flange type as they are more versatile when it comes to bolt on extras.
I believe you can get them in detachable form as well? eg cycle carriers or similar.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds