BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Kenda Klever R/T tyres

• Jimnyz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2020 13:50 - 28 Aug 2020 13:52 #227462 by Jimnyz
Kenda Klever R/T tyres was created by Jimnyz
Hi all. Has anyone tried these tyres on a Jimny?

Kenda Klever RT KR601
autostance.co.nz/product/tyres/kenda/kle...-75-15/215157575215/

They make them in 215 75 r15 and they are supposedly a cross between an AT and an MT.
Not too expensive. Around half the price of the BFG KO2's here. They look like they might be noisy.

Should I risk them on my Gen4 or will it be awful on the road? What say you wise folks?
Cheers in advance, Mike
Last edit: 28 Aug 2020 13:52 by Jimnyz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2020 14:57 #227464 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Kenda Klever R/T tyres
Googling some pics of them, they look ok to me. What sort of use are you intending?

It isn't a brand available here in the UK as far as I know. As for awful on the road, I can't see why they would be. Most modern MT's aren't, which is why you can buy brand new vehicles from people like Ford and Jeep with them on these days. But it is very much a personal thing. Are you used to running an MT or AT on anything to give you an idea of what to expect?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnyz

• Jimnyz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2020 00:40 #227472 by Jimnyz
Replied by Jimnyz on topic Kenda Klever R/T tyres
Thanks for your wise words.
I've had Bridgestone A/T's on a Gen3 before, so I know how much difference they made on slippery ground over the original HT's. There wasn't any extra road noise or economy lost with those.
My Gen4 is my city commuter, so I guess I don't really need RT tyres but I like the look of them.
Whenever I go away for a trip outside town, it's nice to know that I'd be less likely to get stuck on trails, but the few hours drive on tarmac to get there might be the problem.

These tyres seem to have been around in the US for a while, but as they don't have Jimny's there, there aren't any YouTube reviews for Jimny's.
I'd love to know what the weight penalty is.

I guess what I'm trying to avoid is shelling out for them and then finding out that I'm stuck with either irritating road noise at cruising speed or poor cornering for the life of them.
I've seen pretty good reviews for the Toyo RT but they don't make them in 15's.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Aug 2020 03:52 #227474 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Kenda Klever R/T tyres
Looking at them they look like a variation of the maxxis worm drive idea, a course all terrain/not quite a mud terrain. I don't know what your trading standards are like in New Zealand but most mid to high range tyre companies are now making very competent products, the days of knobly tyres being unpleasant on the road are increasingly far behind us. That said you do get what you pay for.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnyz

• Jimnyz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Aug 2020 07:12 #227477 by Jimnyz
While I was looking at the pricing on them, I saw a deal on Hankook Dynapro RF11 AT2's that was too good to refuse (40% off normal price!).

I have heard good things about the previous RF10 AT-M's.

Hoping that they're not too heavy in 215 75 r15. They are LT construction. I'll report back to the forum what they turn out be like once I've had them fitted later this week.

• Jimnyz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2020 00:45 #227577 by Jimnyz
Just heard back from the Kenda tyre retailer. The Klever R/T 215 75 r15's weigh a whopping 16.25kg each.
I will weigh the Hankooks when they arrive, but I would expect them to be a lot lighter that the Kenda's.

More
31 Aug 2020 22:15 #227612 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Re:Kenda Klever R/T tyres
Some handy info on tyre weights if you are interested.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T2qe-v57...YT6XkTUZaws/htmlview

crash486 JB74W
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland, Soeley, Jimnyz

• Jimnyz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2020 03:41 #227615 by Jimnyz
Replied by Jimnyz on topic Re:Kenda Klever R/T tyres
Thanks crash486, that chart's really helpful. Looks like the local retailer got that wrong and that the Kendra was only 12.7kg.

Nice to know that the Hankook AT2 215 is going to be fairly light, (if the 235's are anything to go by at 12.2kg each).

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds