BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Autocar 2019 Jimny verdict

More
24 Aug 2020 10:49 #227273 by lightning
lt hasn't kept them away from the Defender

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Aug 2020 11:27 #227275 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Autocar 2019 Jimny verdict
Let's not forget that in direct ability comparison a Jimny is actually in the same league as the wrangler and G wagon having live axles on a ladder frame. Suddenly a Jimny is cheap to buy and run, nice to drive and doesn't have an image problem.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Aug 2020 11:48 #227277 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Autocar 2019 Jimny verdict

lightning wrote: Well of course it depends on which model of Defender you have.
I've got a 110 TD5 SW and l use it all day, every day for my business.
Far from being hateful l wouldn't go back to the vans l used to drive.
The 110 is pretty much standard apart from a bit of extra sound proofing, cruise control, and the fact that it's in pristine condition so doesn't rattle or leak.

We've currently got a 2015 110 HI CAP. It's been used daily on the farm since new so it's not pristine and is never going to be. I just find them inherently terrible by design. Even when it was brand new it was horrible, as were all the ones that went before it.
Personally I will always choose the Jimny over the Defender, even if it means sticking a trailer on the Jimny for something that would go straight in the back of the Defender. It just goes to show how we all see things differently and no review will be right for everyone.

More
24 Aug 2020 13:11 #227280 by lightning
The Defender is from a different era. Land Rover never invested in it for years.
ln my opinion the new Jimny is what Land Rover should have done with the Defender.

More
13 Oct 2020 09:12 #229087 by Dan

More
13 Oct 2020 09:57 #229090 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Autocar 2019 Jimny verdict
Comments like 'truly awful on the motorway' really make me question how experienced some road testers are. Having just done 1600 miles in a week, of which 1000 was on motorways, it's absolutely fine on the motorway. 60/65mph dialed in, cruise control on and relax. Occasional kick downs in the auto on long inclines, but they seem to have become fewer as the engine loosens up further having passed 10k miles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lightning

More
13 Oct 2020 10:06 #229092 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Autocar 2019 Jimny verdict
I don't think the writer comparing a small 4x4 to SUVs etc was ever going to result in an even write up.

A bit of a waste of pixels unfortunately.

Is the Fiat panda the nearest competitor to the Jimny? If so why not take it to the pay and play site and see how it performed against a Ford Raptor?

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Oct 2020 11:59 #229098 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Autocar 2019 Jimny verdict
Motoring journalists are like car sales people, 99pc of them give the rest a bad name.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Oct 2020 19:47 - 13 Oct 2020 19:54 #229108 by lightning
The Autocar review is OK, much more realistic than the Plop Car one.
However l still don't understand the continuous references to haw bad it is on the motorway.
I've done three long motorway trips in ours, and it's been fine.
But the road tester's other vehicle is a Bentley Continental GT.
Hence the comment about not taking the Jimny on the M25, and that the Jimny is "incredibly noisy" which is just nonsense.
Unless you've just got out of a Bentley Continental GT, that is.
An awesome car, as you would expect for a starting price of £151,000.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2020 19:54 by lightning.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds