BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

car ramps or jack advice pls

More
09 Aug 2020 15:09 #226404 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic car ramps or jack advice pls
The metal car ramps all seem to be of the same design, regardless of brand and I've heard stories of them suddenly folding, which was enough to put me off buying.

I went for these Sealey ramps, which aren't quite as high, but are very robust. I still place axle stands as well when I'm underneath, as I'm paranoid about getting squished!

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CZFWT6Y/ref=cm_sw..._apa_i_YdbmFbY168YB8
The following user(s) said Thank You: treps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2020 15:19 - 09 Aug 2020 15:36 #226405 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic car ramps or jack advice pls
It took me ages to choose the right axle stands and wheel ramps.

Some wheel ramps looked pretty lame, with no cross bar where it mattered (under the wheel). The cheapo ones all had no extra bar, so i went with these.

These have this extra support bar

The axle stands were middle of the road ones, but have decent welding and rated for 3t per stand.

Buy the best you can afford obviously.

I still get anxious underneath though, and place huge blocks of wood under the arm gaurds just incase of axle or wheel stand failure.

U cant imagine the damage and pain of getting slammed under a diff. OMG i would squeel like a piggy!!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2020 15:36 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
09 Aug 2020 15:40 #226406 by Roger Fairclough
It's all about piece of mind.When you get your ramps put them somewhere as flat as possible and strong enough to support the load. When backing up I use low range as it reduces clutch slip. You need to try this a few times to get used to positioning the car properly. Personally I don't like the design because for safety the wheels should drop into a well which stops any chance of the car rolling off the ramp. When you are satisfied that you are positioned safely get out-mind the drop-and vigourously shake the car. If it falls off:sick: try again.:whistle:

Roger

Again, for piece of mind, obtain 2 pieces of 18mm ply 250mm square and screw the stands to them. They will be far more stable.

More
09 Aug 2020 20:01 #226425 by treps
Replied by treps on topic car ramps or jack advice pls
@Gadget - thanks. Are these plastic ramps known to be stronger than the metal ones? I hadn't seen them before but I like the concept

More
09 Aug 2020 20:36 #226427 by Roger Fairclough
I like the ones with the "well" to drop the tyres into but note that they are lower than the metal ones. You could, if you believe you need the full height,build a base out of wood and attach to the ramp. just a thought.

Roger

More
09 Aug 2020 21:25 #226429 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic car ramps or jack advice pls

treps wrote: @Gadget - thanks. Are these plastic ramps known to be stronger than the metal ones? I hadn't seen them before but I like the concept

Not seen any categorical proof that they're 'better', but they're rated for 1.5t each, so one in isolation can hold the entire weight of the car and less chance of one dodgy weld causing a whole ramp to fold, plus Sealey are a decent quality brand, so I felt happier sliding under the car with those. They don't provide as much clearance as metal ramps, but I could fit under the Jimny without them, so the added space is just a bonus :)

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds