BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

car ramps or jack advice pls

More
08 Aug 2020 09:06 #226318 by treps
Hi

I am looking at car ramps or jacks for the Jimny. Initially they would be used for fitting various Jimnybits guards. I also wish to begin pretending I know what I am doing and may do some minor mechanical tasks...
A quick google leads me to Toolstation where I found these:

1. www.toolstation.com/draper-trolley-jack-combination-kit/p99344
2. www.toolstation.com/draper-car-ramps/p21734

Considering the potential risks I thought I would ask for advice on here.
Would you recommend ramps or jacks?
Or is there a better and safer solution?
Any specific brands and models to go for? Or to avoid?
I am a beginner and I am unlikely to do anything too complicated mechanically... Perhaps top up the underbody seal coating protection, more guards, etc. Many thanks for your help.
Treps

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2020 09:43 #226320 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic car ramps or jack advice pls
I have both ramps, trolley jack and axle stands, It depends on the job in hand. If you require a wheel off then a ramp is no good. Seeing as you are just starting out and want to fit JBs gaurds i.e. Transfer Box, Fuel Filter and Rock Sliders then the ramps will do for those. You can always add to your collection later on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: treps

More
08 Aug 2020 09:48 #226322 by Roger Fairclough
NEVER WORK UNDER A CAR SUPPORTED PURELY BY A JACK.

The ramps are simple, foolproof and practical but never use them on gravel or grass etc. For safety use them on a level hard base such as tarmac or concrete. Always use chocks.

A jack is used for changing wheels etc but remember to chock at least 2 wheels and if you need to venture under the car use axle stands which
, by the way ,can be used under the chassis rails

Roger

ps Refer back to my first statement.

More
08 Aug 2020 10:02 #226325 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic car ramps or jack advice pls
I have been using Jack stands and ramps for years. Helped me a lot. The Jack in the picture does not look Great though.. Check lifting height and size. A Jack with a larger footprint and higher lift will be more stable and useful. I had only a Jack like the picture for years and it did help me get by when on a budget.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
08 Aug 2020 10:44 - 08 Aug 2020 10:47 #226334 by Scimike
Like all above I have them all, 2 sets of ramps, stands and a jack.
The ramps are great for a quick check underneath, also ok for fitting guards one end at a time.
I use two sets of ramps for service work simply as the vehicle is raised but level, perfect for oil changes etc.
I use my stands for wheel off work.
That's pretty much the order of preference, I feel safer under a vehicle on ramps with the wheels on (chocked), stands second and never under on a jack.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 08 Aug 2020 10:47 by Scimike.

More
08 Aug 2020 11:27 - 08 Aug 2020 11:32 #226336 by Mr CC
Replied by Mr CC on topic car ramps or jack advice pls
currently under my car at the moment doing underbody work, I never feel safe with axle stands and prefer to use old wheel rims under the wheels. The car wants to centre itself in the rims though you put the handbrake on anyway.

I used fence posts as steps to get it up there. also safer to have someone watch while doing it, the old wheels might slide as they can be pushed by the car as it climbs them.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2020 11:32 by Mr CC.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Aug 2020 11:50 #226339 by Lambert
Having been working on cars for years I have been collecting this kit and upgrading it as I go. So with that in mind I would suggest that you avoid the cheaper options and go straight to the higher cost heavy-duty professional level kit to start with. I accept that just starting out it's quite an expensive hit but its going to be quite a lot cheaper than buying several jacks and stand. You get what you pay for. I would not be happy working under a vehicle using the kit in the link. My minimum quality level is Machine Mart for Clarke.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Aug 2020 11:50 #226340 by treps
Replied by treps on topic car ramps or jack advice pls
Thank you gentlemen for your replies. Great advice.
I will get the ramps and chocks now. They sound the simplest and safest method.
Regarding the jack, I just saw on another thread that the Halfords Advanced 3T trolley jack is highly rated. I will get one of those in the autumn sales together with the 3T stands.
I feel all grown up...

More
08 Aug 2020 12:17 - 08 Aug 2020 12:20 #226344 by Scimike
+1 for the Halfords Advanced 3T jack.
I have had one of these for many years and it still works faultlessly. Quick lift and used on my Land Rover as well as the Jimny, more than enough to lift the entire Jimny if you are not watching. Lambert is correct, pay a bit extra now and it will last you years. I also use Clarke 3T stands.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 08 Aug 2020 12:20 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, treps

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Aug 2020 12:25 #226345 by Lambert
I looked at the 3t stands but went for the 6t instead. Mainly because at 600mm open they are tall enough to go under the extreme corners of the chassis and yet be tall enough to have the wheels off the ground on full droop which is super useful for suspension work and rust prevention. Also at 6t each the factor of safety with a tonne of Jimny on 4 stands makes me feel better about being under it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Aug 2020 12:47 #226353 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic car ramps or jack advice pls
Car boot sales are a great place to find ramps and axle stands. But I'd buy a trolley jack new. I've managed with cheap trolley jacks for years but last year I treated myself to a better one (it says "professional" on it so you know it must be good) and it has made life a lot easier.
Jimny's are easy to work on with plenty of sturdy places to jack from or stick an axle stand under so it's a good vehicle to start on!

More
08 Aug 2020 14:05 #226357 by Scimike

Lambert wrote: I looked at the 3t stands but went for the 6t instead. Mainly because at 600mm open they are tall enough to go under the extreme corners of the chassis and yet be tall enough to have the wheels off the ground on full droop which is super useful for suspension work and rust prevention. Also at 6t each the factor of safety with a tonne of Jimny on 4 stands makes me feel better about being under it.

I was in error, I also have the 6t version, can't remember why I picked these, probably due to my Land Rover.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds