BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Hi Looking for advice

• garry ingledew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jul 2020 18:25 #225794 by garry ingledew
Hi Looking for advice was created by garry ingledew
Hi All
So at the mo I own a Bongo, but as the kids are just about grown up I am looking to get a Jimny with RTT. Over the next few months I am doing my research. Would love a Gen4 But gotta think about cost. So question 1
Is it possible to get roof bars on a Gen3 changed so they would take the weight?

Any info, including examples and costs would be great

Garry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2020 18:47 - 28 Jul 2020 18:50 #225795 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Hi Looking for advice
Hi Garry,
Yes is the direct answer, from DIY racks, modified Thule and adventure racks. I have a Jimny Bits adventure roof rack and I love it, but it's not the cheapest.
Sorry if I have misinterpreted your request, not sure what RTT is, I am old!

The should you and how much can you actually carry can of worms may appear, the only answer is it's up to you to decide.
Mike

Edit RTT=Roof Top Tent ?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 28 Jul 2020 18:50 by Scimike.

More
28 Jul 2020 18:52 #225796 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Hi Looking for advice
It is possible to change the roof bars, they simply unbolt. However the maximum roof load on a Jimny (Gen3 and 4) is 30kg, so there is no roof tent available that is suitable. That doesn't seem to stop people though!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jul 2020 19:09 #225799 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Hi Looking for advice
I have attached my cross bars directly to the studs that hold the old factory ones on. The bars I have are rated at 50kg but the roof load according to the manual is 30kg. In reality I am reluctant to put much in the way of any significant weight up there, I think of it as a means of carrying bulky items that won't fit inside.I would be reluctant to have something heavy like a roof tent, I know a few people do and don't have a problem but I wouldn't be comfortable with the better part of a hundred kg up top for prolonged periods. Personally I would look at a camp trailer but I am comfortable with towing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Jul 2020 19:09 - 28 Jul 2020 19:16 #225800 by Scimike
And this is why it's up to you. The user manual for the GEN 3 (not sure about G4) information on " the roof" is written in such a way that it's open to interpretation. One interpretation is the maximum roof load is 30kg, the other is 30kg is the maximum roof rail load.
It's an important difference of opinion as you will be removing the original roof rail and fitting an aftermarket unit with its own load limit. No page in the user manual categorically states roof load, it's always associated with the roof rail.
Two camps, you need to decide which one you want to put your roof tent in.:laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 28 Jul 2020 19:16 by Scimike.

More
28 Jul 2020 20:10 #225807 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Hi Looking for advice
Recently seen a post on FB from a jimny breaker
This was about roof load capacity
His photo was a jimny on the roof of a jimny
He said he's never had a roof buckle or any windows break
So the roof is strong :)

More
28 Jul 2020 20:44 - 28 Jul 2020 20:55 #225808 by Scimike
No doubt in my mind the Jimny roof is strong enough to cope with load, but if only it was that simple as in reality it also impacts vehicle stability.
It's a very complex subject that goes further than just weight. It's a dynamic load on the vehicle (none static) that can change with vehicle modifications (lifts), vehicle loading, and aerodynamics etc.
For example a 40kg cannon shaped load on a vehicle roof will have less impact on vehicle stability than a 40kg sheet of plywood, simply the plywood will be influenced by aerodynamic forces more compared to the streamline canoe as you travel along.
So it's very difficult thing to quantify, which is why most modern vehicles simply state a maximum roof load including accessories and roof rack system. It's also why some loads feel stable and others do not.
Mike

Last edit: 28 Jul 2020 20:55 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Jul 2020 04:01 #225811 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Hi Looking for advice

jackonlyjack wrote: Recently seen a post on FB from a jimny breaker
This was about roof load capacity
His photo was a jimny on the roof of a jimny
He said he's never had a roof buckle or any windows break
So the roof is strong :)

But on the other hand how many times have we seen pictures of a Jimny with the roof smashed in because of it being rolled over? Gently lowering a huge weight onto something quite fragile and then saying it is strong is somewhat misleading.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
29 Jul 2020 07:37 #225813 by Busta
The max roof load has absolutely nothing to do with the physical strength of the car and everything to do with the way the car drives, steers and stops when you add weight to the roof. We all know that the body of the car is strong and I'm sure my DIY roof rack could carry 200kg, but that does not mean it's safe to drive around with 200kg on the car.
Suzuki are very clear that the maximum roof load for the Gen4 is 30kg. Their information for the Gen3 was a little ambiguous as it referred to the max loading on the roof rails, however in the absence of any mention of a higher limit if the rails were not used, then we must assume that 30kg is the maximum roof load on a Gen3. I'm sure if you contacted Suzuki they would confirm. These weight limits are inline with those of other small cars. Manufacturers are telling us that the roof is not a sensible place to carry heavy items. Make of that what you will!

I'd go with Lambert's suggestion of a trailer tent. You get all the benefits of a roof tent (quick pitch, flat floor, not carrying wet kit inside the car) with none of the draw backs (can't move when your tent is pitched, tent is almost permanently attached to the car, have to climb a ladder to get there, significant size and weight constraints, significant affect on how the vehicle handles, high cost).

If you must carry your tent on the roof, why not put a regular tent in a roof box?

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jul 2020 08:34 #225814 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Hi Looking for advice
With any small car the safe answer to load carrying will always be a trailer. You're looking to put a great deal of weight on top of car that has no weight of its own. If you can't live with a trailer (not everyone can) then a very real option is a pick-up.
If you go ahead and fit a roof tent to the Jimny you will always have to drive accordingly, I see that aspect as a bit of a pain. Chris

More
29 Jul 2020 15:01 #225824 by Busta
I contacted Suzuki with the following enquiry:
Hello,

I have a 2003 Suzuki Jimny and I'd like to carry some things on the roof. I have a roof rack that bolts directly to the roof and is rated at 100kgs. Please could you tell me the maximum weight I can carry on the roof of my 2003 Jimny?

Thank you.
Bernie

This is their response:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, CC Baxter

More
29 Jul 2020 19:31 #225835 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Hi Looking for advice

Busta wrote: Suzuki are very clear that the maximum roof load for the Gen4 is 30kg.

Where have you seen that? The only thing I've seen is that Suzuki brand gen4 roof bars are 30kg whereas the Thule ones are 100kg

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds