BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tyres - again!

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2020 09:34 - 09 Jul 2020 09:39 #224712 by Halsey
Tyres - again! was created by Halsey
Sorry but I cant find a specific answer to this question................

New to forums and brand new to this one - just bought my 5th Jim over the years first being an SJ413

I now own a low miles 2013 - tyres - I simply want biggest with NO mods or clearance issues at all - currently got 205/70/15 on standard steel rims - can I go bigger - would it be better - my prime aim is max (country road/pothole) comfort and min noise (yes I know its a Jimny) - wear and fuel consumption are not the prime issue.

Currently on Bridgestone Dueller HT (23psi front 28psi rear) which are actually pretty good - also looking at Grabbers and Coopers?

BTW other car is a Suzuki as well Vitara SZ5 1.6 AllGrip have owned Grand Vit 3drs and Swifts

Advice please.............
Last edit: 09 Jul 2020 09:39 by Halsey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2020 10:07 #224713 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Tyres - again!
A JIMNY WELCOME FROM N/WALES
The following user(s) said Thank You: Halsey

More
09 Jul 2020 11:13 #224715 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tyres - again!
215 75 15 will fit a standard car with no issue....

sniper

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2020 12:15 #224718 by Halsey
Replied by Halsey on topic Tyres - again!
Hi,
That is the size I wanted to try .........
I have read somewhere that the new style bumper/front gets in the way - please forgive the question but is your reply based on direct experience
Makes??
Cheers

More
09 Jul 2020 13:29 #224719 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tyres - again!
I fitted them to my 05' car with no problem. Fitting 30mm spacers makes them just catch, on full lock.

I haven't heard of later model cars having any problems, that size is a very popular mod on standard cars.

You can get in to trouble if you are considering chunky remould mud tyres, they are often a fair bit oversize.

sniper

More
09 Jul 2020 17:03 #224725 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tyres - again!
A larger tyre will not necessarily improve comfort or reduce noise. You are better off choosing a quiet tyre in the standard size and adjusting the pressures to find the optimum comfort level.

More
09 Jul 2020 17:28 #224726 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Tyres - again!
I was running Cooper ATR on a previous 4x4.

After I had bought the first pair a little while later I needed another one and in the meantime they had outsourced production to China. The later tyre didn't feel the same quality.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jul 2020 17:48 #224731 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tyres - again!
For comfort and quietness on countryside back roads I have to recommend the bfg urban terrain in 205.70r15. I run them all at 23 psi and honestly they stick like glue and return super high mileage.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2020 05:27 #224854 by Halsey
OK but won't a taller tyre have a more compliant side wall and therefore give a more comfy ride - I dont know I'm just asking....

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2020 05:57 #224857 by Lambert
Taller tyres especially in a more off road pattern are specifically designed to be both tougher and also for generally larger and heavier vehicles. Consequently they are a much heavier construction with more side plies and and more reinforced tread belts as well as more rubber which makes them less compliant at road speed especially in a light vehicle like a Jimny. Also the additional unsprung mass of a set of bigger tyres affects a Jimny more than something bigger too, so the suspension is working harder to control the movement of the axle. Also also not only does the extra height affect your gearing but the additional weight also needs more energy to move, this also applies to stopping too.

I'm not saying don't, I'm just saying be aware there's nothing for free.

• Halsey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2020 06:27 #224861 by Halsey
Good reply - thanks for that

In summary then are "we" saying stay with 205/70/15 or that a move to 215/70/15 would be a step in the right direction - accepting that tyre pressures are more of a factor than I realised - I changed to 23psi all round yesterday and its made a big difference.

Can I ask for a bit more comment on which tyres people prefer - General, Bridgestone or Cooper as before price and economy isn't the factor here - comfort is ............

Thanks all.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Jul 2020 06:44 #224863 by Lambert
Generally any named brand tyre company will produce something acceptable. Asking for opinion on which is best is much like asking for opinion on who has the best bellybutton everyone is going to be bias toward their own. Probably more so with tyres that they have spent good money on. It's fair to say you get what you pay for with tyres and given that tyres are the only thing connecting the car with the road BF Goodrich are best :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds