BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

No braking force

• tlacee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 03:07 - 28 Jun 2020 03:09 #224115 by tlacee
No braking force was created by tlacee
Hi guys. I have a 2004 Jimny Sa(n)tana with ABS. No issues so far, but it failed Inspection recently due to low braking force on rear axles. I changed already the calipers, drums, liquid, central pump, then proportioning valve.... no change. The car brakes ok, no issues on the road but the force is not higher than 46% on the rear brakes. Clueless what to do next.
Any ideas are welcome :)
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 03:09 by tlacee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jun 2020 06:08 - 28 Jun 2020 06:10 #224116 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic No braking force
Welcome to the forum. The 46% is that equal across the axle, at both wheels? I'm trying to remember what I had on my last test and I seem to think it was something like 350kg to 400kg on each front wheel and about 120kg to 150kg on each rear wheel and that was considered good. What I am saying is I'm surprised that 46%rear breaking efficiency is failing a test simply because the breaking system of all cars is designed specifically to put most effort into the front brakes so that stability is maintained. As you brake weight is transferred to the front of the car so having too much braking effort at the back will cause the rear wheels to lock and slide.

What level is your testing centre wanting for a pass?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 28 Jun 2020 06:10 by Lambert.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Jun 2020 06:19 #224117 by Lambert
Also have you changed the flex pipes there's one on each front and one for the back axle it is possible they have failed internally.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tlacee

• tlacee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 14:12 #224140 by tlacee
Replied by tlacee on topic No braking force
Well, Indint know the details regarding the requirements, and I am a brand new Jimny owner.
Anyhow, I found a donor abs modulator, I ll ask the workshop guys to change that too, amd see what happens.
It is weird, because the front axle brakes are perfect, and the rear handbrake is also working great. I ll try also the flexible pipes as recommended below.
If there will be no option, I ll have to take it to a Suzuki dealer service, but that is really expensive here.
Thanks for the tips.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Jun 2020 14:34 #224142 by Lambert
Abs shouldn't be affecting the brake effort at the rear wheels if it's getting 46%. Again I am concerned that 46% effort is considered inadequate?

• tlacee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 15:46 #224147 by tlacee
Yes, it was inadequate, and it didn t pass the inspection. I ll ask tomorrow for the test sheet at the workshop to be sure regarding the figures. The test result was with 4-5% below the minimum legal requirements.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Jun 2020 16:44 #224160 by Lambert
Just looking at the mot manual and it is saying that after 2010 the total is 58% and before that is 50% total efficiency over both axles as in combined total braking effort divided by the total weight of the vehicle multiplied by 100. So is your 46% the total over both axles?

• tlacee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jun 2020 17:02 #224165 by tlacee
Thanks for the info, ill check tomorrow the test result, and let you know what the exact figures are separate on axles.
Could be that the 46 is the total value.

More
28 Jun 2020 17:12 #224166 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic No braking force
Where are you based? The reason I ask is that the figure of 46% does not make sense and I am wondering if you mean 4.6%.

Roger

• tlacee
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jun 2020 06:04 #224213 by tlacee
So, I was wrong. The figure was 43% braking force difference between front and rear, maning rear force was 43% lower than front. The admitted would be 30%. Now the mechanics are checking the abs pump and the flexible pipes.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
29 Jun 2020 06:19 #224214 by Lambert
That makes so much more sense. I would be checking all the lines to the back of the car for damage like kinks as well as the flex pipe to the back axle. And as you have a spare abs module to try that too. It certainly sounds like a lack of flow somewhere in the system.

More
29 Jun 2020 10:25 #224223 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic No braking force
When my Jimny is due for the MOT I allways change the brake pads in the rear before the test.
Had a Suzuki SJ before with more or less the same brake parts and learned that it helped to change the rear pads a month or so before the test to make them wear in a bit so the braking was good and even.
They cost little new 30-40£ -ish and this keeps me out of trouble or has done so far. (Norwegian MOT and prices might differ from UK)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds