BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny - MORE POWER PLEASE

• Thejackal1971
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2020 17:47 #222941 by Thejackal1971
New Jimny - MORE POWER PLEASE was created by Thejackal1971
Hi all

Probably a familiar question, but here goes........

I'm wanting to squeeze some more power out of the Jimny, and have no idea where to start or what to do.

Any suggestions welcome!

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2020 18:11 #222945 by Scimike
Hello,
Am I correct in thinking you have Generation 4 ?
If so it's a new vehicle and the tinkering god's have not had much time to look into performance modifications, although some reports of modified G4's in Japan?
If it's a Generation 3 most people just swap the engine to a 1.6 or 18

I can't help really, but I can suggest you avoid spending your money on "induction kits" and the like, they very rarely improve anything over stock on their own.

Even after you have thrown the chequebook at it it's still going to be limited by it's off road credentials, sometimes it just better to enjoy it for what it is in my opinion.
All the best
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Thejackal1971
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2020 20:26 #222947 by Thejackal1971
Replied by Thejackal1971 on topic New Jimny - MORE POWER PLEASE
Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply, and I thought might be the answer. It is a gen 4, and I didn't think I would ever be able to make it have blistering performance, but hoped i could squeeze a bit more of it.

Oh well, never mind.

Thanks again

More
28 May 2020 21:55 #222954 by Scimike
Hi,
Don't give up, you may just need to play the waiting game or be a pioneer !
Someone found an article that reported an increase after a remap, it implied the ECU / map had similarities to that on a GS1000 Motorcycle. It may or may not be true, but Suzuki do like to use the existing parts bin for new models, so the GS link could well be true. I would have expected Suzuki Hayabusa if anything myself, the Gen 3 engine has some busa parts on it.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
28 May 2020 22:08 #222955 by 300bhpton

Thejackal1971 wrote: Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply, and I thought might be the answer. It is a gen 4, and I didn't think I would ever be able to make it have blistering performance, but hoped i could squeeze a bit more of it.

Oh well, never mind.

Thanks again

What country are you in? Are you not concerned with invalidating the warranty?

Also, in what way are you finding it lacking? I know it isn't the quickest thing in the world. But in my honest opinion they move pretty quickly with a lovely revvy engine.

Are you making use of all of the rev range and using an appropriate gear?

Personally I think they are pretty speedy, especially compared to "normal" traffic on the roads. And interestingly enough in standard trim they have very comparable power to weight ratio as an R52 MINI Cooper convertible!

If you want more power, then it will be the same story as any and every other naturally aspirated petrol engine. Improve the breathing (air in and out).

A remap may gain a small bit, but you will need to look at induction and exhaust mods for anything else. But ultimately you are more likely to move the power curve to be higher rpm biased, meaning you'll need to drive it harder for the gains. Cams and head would be next.

Ultimately most petrol engines of this ilk can be made to produce 100bhp/litre, so with a 1.5 litre there is 50hp on the table. But it'll be heading more and more race car and higher rpms to get it.

Forced induction is the next option, which will give more mid range torque. But you could get into the realm of upgrading the engine internals to cope. Which could end up costing thousands of £ to attain. All depends on your aspirations and wallet.

Lastly would be an engine swap to something with more power and/or bigger displacement.

More
29 May 2020 22:18 #223016 by crash486
You can be on the bleeding edge and go for a supercharger. bulletcars.com/superchargers/suzuki/suzu...tre-k15b-4-cylinder/

More
01 Jun 2020 13:29 #223112 by Keithy

crash486 wrote: You can be on the bleeding edge and go for a supercharger. bulletcars.com/superchargers/suzuki/suzu...tre-k15b-4-cylinder/

Bleeding edge=DIY lol

Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2020 16:01 #223122 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic New Jimny - MORE POWER PLEASE

Scimike wrote: Hi,
Don't give up, you may just need to play the waiting game or be a pioneer !
Someone found an article that reported an increase after a remap, it implied the ECU / map had similarities to that on a GS1000 Motorcycle. It may or may not be true, but Suzuki do like to use the existing parts bin for new models, so the GS link could well be true. I would have expected Suzuki Hayabusa if anything myself, the Gen 3 engine has some busa parts on it.
Good luck
Mike

The may use the same piece of hardware, but it's of no relevance to how much power it can make. The ECU can only work with the engine it's got, and there's a world of difference between a motorbike engine and the engine in the Jimny. The Hayabusa had none of the emissions controls you'd find on a modern motorcycle or car, so its ECU would be far too basic.

More
01 Jun 2020 18:10 #223125 by Rhinoman
maybe they use the same processor but my experience with Suzuki motorcycle ECUs on larger engine bikes is that they are much more complex - different mapping for each gear for example.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds