BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Jimny 2018+ - General questions to other owners

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2020 11:32 #223212 by B3Hulk

Busta wrote:

B3Hulk wrote: Hmm odd, according my to my registration papers Jimny weighs stock 1,075kgs. That is quiet a big difference compared to the UK model. The only thing I can think of that is different is we don't get the heated seats here.

They are the same car, the weight is the same for you and us.
In the UK kerb weight is measured with a tank of fuel and is 1135kg for an SZ5.
suzuki.com.au says the *minimum* kerb weight for a manual is 1090kg. This will be without fuel (-30kg), screen wash (-5kg), floor mats, anything else that is not essential and can easily be removed. Heated seats add about 2kg. So it all matches up fine.

But even taking your 1075kg figure as accurate, add 105kg for you, 30kg for the fuel in the tank, 8kg for the full rotopax, 40kg for the roof rack and we're left with just ~20kg for all your other accessories (wheels, spacers, ladder, substantial tow bar) and everything else on your list.

Ummm... I got nothing. :side:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2020 11:40 - 03 Jun 2020 11:41 #223213 by Busta
You've got a weight problem.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2020 11:41 by Busta.

More
03 Jun 2020 11:49 #223214 by Bill Portland

Busta wrote: You've got a weight problem.

A bit personal ;-)

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2020 12:22 #223217 by B3Hulk
I don't have weight issue, being fully loaded and still under 1.3 tones is actually really good. Unless the scale is wrong which is extremely doubtful

More
03 Jun 2020 15:55 #223227 by Busta
I'm not making any accusations, but it seems those scales were out by approximately 105-110kg. So unless your wife and dog have a combined weight of 45kg, you're overweight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: B3Hulk

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2020 23:18 - 03 Jun 2020 23:19 #223240 by B3Hulk
i am more inclined to believe a weigh bridge to be honest but your maths does make a lot of sense. I will go to get weighed again and see what they tell me. Most of my added weight is from the steel wheels and KO2 tyres which are down low. Plus, when I am not fully loaded with everything taken off/out except the roof rack and the lights, I definitely know I am under.

I did see a post before but I think it might of been deleted. They claimed that I am over weight on the roof and the metal vibrating is causing the ear pain which was an interesting theory but I know is not the case. I have had this noise/pressure happening even after I tested removing the roof racks and all its components.

I don't know why but I have a gut feeling it may be a mount causing my problem, which mount? I have no idea.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2020 23:19 by B3Hulk.

More
03 Jun 2020 23:38 #223241 by crash486

mlines wrote:

Internal to Suzuki so no one has any numbers to quote.

bulletin Q-A6G-004

Do you know if this is universal or are there different numbers for different countries etc?

crash486

More
04 Jun 2020 05:57 #223243 by mlines
Universal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: crash486

More
04 Jun 2020 11:50 #223254 by 300bhpton

Gadget wrote: Also, as mentioned by someone else, the auto headlight sensor is infuriatingly sensitive, to the point that it's effectively unusable.

I wouldn't say unusable. TBH if it turns the headlights on in daylight, the only way to know is if you happen to notice the small non-intrusive tell-tale on the dash. But you kind of have to be looking for it in daylight. I've never had anyone flash me or any other response.

I'm also not convinced the sensor works any different to most of the other cars on the roads with auto headlights.

More
04 Jun 2020 11:55 #223255 by 300bhpton

B3Hulk wrote: i am more inclined to believe a weigh bridge to be honest but your maths does make a lot of sense. I will go to get weighed again and see what they tell me. Most of my added weight is from the steel wheels and KO2 tyres which are down low. Plus, when I am not fully loaded with everything taken off/out except the roof rack and the lights, I definitely know I am under.

I did see a post before but I think it might of been deleted. They claimed that I am over weight on the roof and the metal vibrating is causing the ear pain which was an interesting theory but I know is not the case. I have had this noise/pressure happening even after I tested removing the roof racks and all its components.

I don't know why but I have a gut feeling it may be a mount causing my problem, which mount? I have no idea.

Wind deflectors could also cause your problem.

More
04 Jun 2020 12:01 #223256 by 300bhpton

B3Hulk wrote: I have had 3 different 4x4s with live axles from landcruisers to wranglers and none of them rock the same way that the Jimny did before replacing the suspension. Before anyone asks, yes they had stock suspension when I owned them. I am definitely familiar with how they are meant to feel and drive.

The issue with the massive amount of stock body roll and rocking side by side was an issue before I added any of those items. I know increasing the centre of gravity will amplify the problem which it did . But yet again, the problem was there before adding the weight.

The Jimny has a narrow track and a fairly short wheelbase. But tbh it isn't hugely different to past Suzuki models, Wranglers, CJ Jeeps and many a Land Rover.

Having been in lots of 4wd's, I couldn't tell you that the Jimny rides or handles worse or even that differently to most of them.

Ultimately I still think either you have a fundamental issue with your specific vehicle (been in a crash, bent axel, something...) or arguably more than likely the vehicle is 100% fine and it is entirely your perception.

There are multiple vids of people going round the Nurburgring in Germany with the Jimny, you can clearly see that even when being pushed hard on a race track, there is still very little lean going on.

More
04 Jun 2020 18:29 #223263 by Gadget

300bhpton wrote: I wouldn't say unusable. TBH if it turns the headlights on in daylight, the only way to know is if you happen to notice the small non-intrusive tell-tale on the dash. But you kind of have to be looking for it in daylight. I've never had anyone flash me or any other response.

I'm also not convinced the sensor works any different to most of the other cars on the roads with auto headlights.

It's rapid changes in illumination that's the issue, there doesn't appear to be any built-in delay before the lights turn themselves on then off again. Drive under a bridge on a sunny day and you'll flash the car in front as they cycle on/off rapidly. Every other car I've had with auto lights has a delay of a couple of seconds before the lights turn on, which avoids this issue.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds